Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Fastest 28mm on the Road ??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-22-07, 02:59 PM
CrossChain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Turkey's in, a lull in the food prep, my mind wanders to............putting 28's on my fast bike for the winter. (Some of you may laugh at what seems an oxymoron: "fast 28's", but on poor surface roads softer, I believe, is faster than harder. They'll just fit under my brakes I've already discovered. Does anyone have a recommend for a fast, light, perhaps belted 28? I've had poor luck with Ruffy Tuffies. I'm using Pasela 28's on my long rider...but always interested in something new.

Also, I'm beginning to question the use of belted, puncture resistant tires. Any comments?
Old 11-22-07, 03:20 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Maxxis Detonators on my Europa and like them so much that I've put them on the Jamis. Thing is, I have no idea how they compare to other tyres. They were recommended by a mate who does many more km than I do on his fixed gear bikes. Cheap, reasonably puncture resistant and long wearing. How how 'fast' are they? I'm guessing my old legs will always be the deciding factor.

Richard
Old 11-22-07, 08:17 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek Portland came with Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case. 800 miles on them and I remain impressed. They roll well, are plenty grippy and the handling is just great. Comfy ride too, and no flats yet either.

As far as pedaling or rolling resistance, I don't notice any difference between these tires and the 23mm Gatorskins on my other bike. I'm fairly certain there is a difference that's measurable in a lab, but I don't ride in labs.
Old 11-22-07, 08:24 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had good luck with the Schwalbe Marathon racer in 30mm, actual width 28mm. Available at Peter White Cycles. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp
Old 11-22-07, 09:00 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
Also, I'm beginning to question the use of belted, puncture resistant tires. Any comments?

My comment...

...Is that belted tires work better the larger they are...I guess because the belted thickness becomes a smaller proportion of the whole tire???

Anyway, I liked Ruffy Tuffys, but did have them begin to separate from the casing at around 2500 miles. And that was on three sets of them over a 2 year period. The 33.33mm Jack Brown really seems to be the best combination of the RT and larger tire. In fact, I think my 33mm JB's are faster than the 28mm RT's. They can be run a bit softer, so they really eat up bad pavement.
Old 11-22-07, 09:04 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons in the 28 mm size. I have about 1000 miles on a set of them and have yet to have a flat. Maximum pressure is 115 psi so you can pump them up if you want. Recommended pressure is 80 psi. My experience is that you can run 90 psi on chip base roads and laugh at your skinny tired buddies on their 23's.
Old 11-22-07, 09:10 PM
late

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 8485 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Prob the fastest 28 is the Cerf Green.

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/tireoffer.html

My wife uses their Cypress, Ruffy Tuffys are a lot tougher. So if you
had problems you can expect more. Look at their weights, a pair of Ruffy Tuffies weighs almost a half pound more.
Old 11-22-07, 09:10 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie View Post
They can be run a bit softer, so they really eat up bad pavement.
I agree. Lots of people seem to think if you want to go as fast as possible, pump those tires until they are rock hard. But not quite so simple. On rougher roads all you do is bounce around and those little bounces are slower than staying in contact with the road. Not to mention wear down your comfort and energy and thereby slow you further. A somewhat softer tire, for me at least, may work better. Discomfort, in the end, nets you less fitness and performance and "fun". Besides, on my crumby roads, I feel more confident descending quickly with gravel gobbling, bump eating fatties under me.
Old 11-22-07, 09:18 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of people seem to think if you want to go as fast as possible, pump those tires until they are rock hard. But not quite so simple. On rougher roads all you do is bounce around and those little bounces are slower than staying in contact with the road. Not to mention wear down your comfort and energy and thereby slow you further. A somewhat softer tire, for me at least, may work better. Discomfort, in the end, nets you less fitness and performance and "fun".
You are exactly correct on all points here. On a recent charity ride the state DOT has put new chip base on a 15 mile stretch of road during the time between ride organization and the actual event. It came as a great suprise to a lot of people. I'm talking ROUGH, NEW chip base, like less than a week old. There were quite a few roadies who tried it for a mile or so and then turned around and rode back to the start. It really was that bad. Of the two guys I rode with, one was on a LOOK w/ 23 mm and few spokes and the other was on an aluminum Trek w/25mm tires. Neither one had a good time. It really didn't bother me.
Old 11-22-07, 10:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maxxis Detonnators. A bit more flat protection, the Maxxis Re-Fuse.
Old 11-22-07, 10:12 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bingo.

Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
I recommend Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons in the 28 mm size. I have about 1000 miles on a set of them and have yet to have a flat. Maximum pressure is 115 psi so you can pump them up if you want. Recommended pressure is 80 psi. My experience is that you can run 90 psi on chip base roads and laugh at your skinny tired buddies on their 23's.
Old 11-23-07, 02:49 PM
Chambersburg PA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel compelled to give another good report on Ruffy Tuffys, the most puncture resistant tire I've used, with excellent ride quality. They do seem to start dying somewhere after 2000 miles. Much more puncture resistant that Gatorskins.

I've many miles on Bontrager Race Lite Hard case and find them to be hideous, like plowing through sand. Interesting experience difference. Subjective elements.

Of course any single report is anecdotal.

I'm currently using RT 28s on the rear and Kenda Kaliente 23s on the front. A good handling, puncture resistant compromise. I do ride a Rambouillet, but don't worship at the Alter of Rivendell.
Dave
Old 11-23-07, 02:59 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I agree. Lots of people seem to think if you want to go as fast as possible, pump those tires until they are rock hard. But not quite so simple. On rougher roads all you do is bounce around and those little bounces are slower than staying in contact with the road. Not to mention wear down your comfort and energy and thereby slow you further. A somewhat softer tire, for me at least, may work better. Discomfort, in the end, nets you less fitness and performance and "fun". Besides, on my crumby roads, I feel more confident descending quickly with gravel gobbling, bump eating fatties under me.
If this were true you would expect to see racing MTBs come equipped with front and rear suspension to smooth out the trails and keep the tires in contact with the ground while slamming through all sorts of irregular terrain.

Oh, wait. They do come that way. Uh, nevermind. Good point.
Old 11-23-07, 03:01 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't talk about 28's as I do not use them. Main thing I want from a tyre- is Lightness. Rotating weight is still a theory I work to. Any of the belted tyres are going to be heavier than I want and I do not find a problem with my Pro Race 2's with punctures. These go up to 25's but still not large enough for you.

Have to agree that with a larger tyre you can cut the pressure a bit for comfort and there are occasions when it is quicker to have a softer ride- than a hard one that punishes the body. Problem I find though is that lower pressures cause me drag so a larger volume tyre with normal high pressure still works for me. The larger volume will give me the comfort.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-24-07, 08:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turkey's in, a lull in the food prep, my mind wanders to............putting 28's on my fast bike for the winter. (Some of you may laugh at what seems an oxymoron: "fast 28's", but on poor surface roads softer, I believe, is faster than harder. They'll just fit under my brakes I've already discovered. Does anyone have a recommend for a fast, light, perhaps belted 28? I've had poor luck with Ruffy Tuffies. I'm using Pasela 28's on my long rider...but always interested in something new.

I have Conti Gators 28 on my Trek 610, and I'm really getting to like them. My wife has Maxxis Detonators 28s on her Cannondale Road Warrior 800, and again very impressed! We keep pressures in the 80 to 105 range. Both tires get a bit skittery at 105, but very sweet and resilient when the pressure is in the 90s. Based on pressure v. weight charts these are both underinflated, but no snakebites yet!

For a bit more supple a ride than the Gators, I liked the Conti GP3000s from a few years back. I'd assume the 4000s are even better. The 3000s sidewalls are a lot thinner than on the Gators - maybe less robust, but seems very supple.

Road Fan
Old 03-15-08, 07:13 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No 28mm width experience, but I do have favorable experience with the 32mm Panaracer Pasela TourGuard belted tires ... on my Trek 730. Great tires for a hybrid bike, which I also used for club riding the Trek on urban roads.

I wanted to squeeze in some winter riding, at the start of 2008, so I asked my LBS to put on some all terrain tires ... for snow traction. I even left my 32mm Pasela TGs with the LBS, thinking I'd only use the all terrain tires on my Trek. That was a mistake, at least for my street riding style, because I didn't like the all terrain replacement tires.

So last week, I ordered a pair of Riv's new 33.3mm Jack Brown-Green Label. The Jack Brown 33mm comes without a puncture-proof belt (green label ... 295 gm) and with a puncture-proof belt (blue label ... 435 gm). I got my Trek 730 around the year 1994, and the JB Green Labels will be the first time I've had beltless tires on them. [Motorad segways to the next paragraph, while muttering "I'm doomed ... I'm doomed"]

I'm still about two seconds away from ordering a second pair of Jack Brown-Blue Labels ... and returning the Green Labels without using them. I honestly don't know how susceptible these beltless tires will be for riding the Trek around the neighborhood in inclement weather ... probably within a 5 mile radius from my house.

I did a BikeForum search on "Jack Brown", to find input about both the belted and beltless JB tires from Riv. Seems the tires are too new for comment. But I'll try to keep everyone posted down the [beltless?] road.
Old 03-15-08, 07:33 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am doing about 100 miles per day for three weeks now and did 100 miles per day for 8 weeks recently.
Results:
Continental Ultra Gatorskin held up and no flats. Used them on CC tour of 3000 miles with 4 flats. That is very few. Many bikers had up to 17 flats. I do 120 PSI. These tires are hard to install.
Schwalbe regular race tires were worn out and fell apart at 2000 miles. There were flats.
Bontrager Race Lite fell apart in less than 2000 miles. There were flats.
Bontrager Hard Case are holding up and no flats.
Old 03-15-08, 08:11 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This must be Revive Old CrossChain Posts Day!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-15-08, 08:20 PM
sean3089

Bikes: Cinelli Proxima/Dura Ace 9-speed/Fizik Aliante/Easton Vistas/Michelin Pro 2's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Michelin Pro 2 Race -- Their biggest size is 25mm...but seem bigger than that. They roll fast, and have a nice feel. Also, I get at least 2000 miles with them and have had good luck with flats.
Old 03-15-08, 08:55 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I have not seen listed anywhere, is the TPI-value for Rivendell's two 28mm (27.7) tires, the Rolly Polly (beltless) and the Ruffy Tuffy (belted). What I have seen is that the listed widths are pretty much the actual widths, and the beltless 28mm Rolly Poly weighs 290 grams. What I thought was strange, however, is the high PSI-value for a 28mm tire: The Rolly Poly apparently lists recommended pressures of 90-120 PSI.

Does anybody know what the TPI-value of the Rolly Poly 28mm tire is?

I believe that at least the newer Michelin tires have an actual width of their listed widths ... maybe a little wider than the listed width. For the Pro2 Race 25mm tires:
* Apparently, the TPI-value is 127.
* The weight is 270 grams.
* The tire pressure shown on the sidewalls are 73-102.

But one thing is puzzling to me: Why is it that the wider Rolly Poly 28mm tire runs at higher pressure than the Pro2 Race 25mm tire? Would it possibly be because the Pro2 Race has a much higher TPI-value?

This may be a different phrasing of the same question, but why DOES the Pro2 Race 25mm tire run at such low pressure?

Last edited by Motorad; 03-15-08 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Corrected the listed wt for the Pro2 Race 25mm tire: from 290g to 270g.