Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What did you do on Thanksgiving day?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: What did you do on Thanksgiving?
Went for a bike ride
21.92%
Went for a bike ride and ate a big dinner
34.25%
Just ate dinner with family
42.47%
Wanted to go for a ride, but family frowned on it
1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

What did you do on Thanksgiving day?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Resistance workout in the morning. Dinner in the early evening followed by pie. Cardio workout today on the trainer.
Old 11-23-07, 05:29 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode about 35 miles in spring-like weather here in New York.
Helped with Thanksgiving dinner.
Enjoyed lots of good food and wine with my family.
Watched a little football.
Complained about how stuffed I was the rest of the day.
Trying to figure out how long it's going to take me to work it off.
Old 11-23-07, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was going to ride the one way trip to my mother's home. 35 MPH gusts that would all have been headwinds put a stop to it. Went for a short ride in the wind. Then had a normal meal with family. Got a call from son who is in the Navy in California. That made our day. Certainly had a lot to be thankful for as a person.
Old 11-23-07, 08:18 AM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With 13 degree temps and icy roads I canceled my annual Red Rocks ride (as in you name the musical group Live at Red Rocks) Settled for working out in the gym.

I will be doing a little Black Friday shopping Performance is having take addl 20% off entire order. I
hit a large nail Sunday so I need a new tire!!
I think I can get in and out of Performance without getting overwhelmed by crowds.
Old 11-23-07, 08:33 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knocked off almost 50 miles at dawn visiting my daughter in Mesa AZ...then had a great meal with lot's of family.
Old 11-23-07, 08:50 AM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went on my regular 60 miler through the Marin small towns and what an incredibly nice surprise it was, no cars, empty, deserted. Generally these towns are just jam packed with people and heavy traffic on regular days. Even Sausalito was almost devoid of the crowds. Brought back memories of the good old days.

knotty
Old 11-23-07, 08:58 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Went for a ride. Only my third ride of the year... Got in about 5.5 miles on my "new" bike. Only about 1/2 hour at a little over 10 mph average, but I rode!!!

It was the shakedown cruise for my 1986 Schwinn Voyageur with new 105 componentry.

This was the first time I have ever ridden a bike with integrated shifters, and all I have to say is I like it as much as I thought I would!!! I just have to get conditioned to shift appropriately. A few times I needed a lower gear and anded up shifting into a higher gear. I can tell it will be instinctive once I get more miles in, but for now, a little thought needs to go into the shifting.

It was in the mid 60's (warm for here this time of year) so I decided to take the ride. I am alone, so nobody to interfere with the ride. my sit bones are a little tender this morning, and the 60+ degree temperatures from yesterday have been replaced with a more typical high of 38 today.

The wind was pretty stiff, and with my current lack of fitness and the wind, I ended up in my lowest gear (34x28) at times just to defeat the headwind. Right near the end of the ride is a very short ascent (from a place where the MUP goes under a road) and I was in the granny gear about half way up, and then toward the top ended up with a strong headwind. I almost got off, but decided to gut it out for the 20 yards or so to the top. It felt good to beat the hill and headwind.

I am probably done riding for the year, but I will get the trainer set up, and be in better shape in the spring than I am now.

It was a nice Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-07, 09:37 AM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have liked to go on a bike ride...but since we were hosting the big dinner, I thought it would be in bad taste if I up & left.

But that doesn't mean I can't ride today!
Old 11-23-07, 10:28 AM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanksgiving Day began around midnight with a phone call from a member of our church. His mother-in-law was back in the hospital and not expected to live though the night. I already had about two hours of sleep, but got up and got dressed so I could sit with the sick lady and her family. I got back home about 4:30 AM and went to bed for two more hours of sleep. Then it was time to get up and open the church for the Thanksgiving Day worship service. I went over my sermon and made sure everything was in place. After everyone had left I came home and heated some leftover turkey, etc. from a school Thanksgiving banquet held on Wednesday. I took an hour nap and went for a 15 mile bike ride. It was 36 deg. F. with sun and very little wind. Eventually I learned the very sick woman (91 years old) was going back to her house. She could live a day or a week. The family said it was OK for me to take my scheduled flight for a late Thanksgiving with my kids and five days away. My wife is already there. I still had some things to prepare for a Bible class on Sunday so it can happen while I am gone. I visited another lady who could die at any time. Then I went to Wal-Mart to get some last minute things, including something to heat and eat at the house. I went to bed at 9 PM. (Today I awoke at 3:15 AM and went for a 17 mile ride before leaving for the airport.)
Old 11-23-07, 10:44 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BillK
I would have liked to go on a bike ride...but since we were hosting the big dinner, I thought it would be in bad taste if I up & left.

But that doesn't mean I can't ride today!
I'm sure you must have an extra guest bike around somewhere!
Old 11-23-07, 12:53 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah had a pretty nice Thanksgiving too.

All my kids were with me for the turkey and ham masacre. Watched Green bay trounce Detroit until we run out of beer. So while everybody was eating pies and cakes I hooked up my trailer and rode the two miles uphill to the (open during nuclear blast) convenience store. (Man that was a good workout pulling that damn trailer.)

Bought a case, threw it in the trailer, and rode downhill at 20-25 mph through traffic lights and intersections all the way home. It was great.

Watched more football, ate more turkey and dressing, topped it off with more pumpkin, chocolate, pecan pie, swilling beer with abandon until I got drunk and fell asleep in the recliner.

It was all good
Old 11-23-07, 04:17 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I'm sure you must have an extra guest bike around somewhere!
True DnvrFox, very true...but it's a long-held family tradition to go on a "walk" since the group almost always includes folks in the 50+ range, all the way down to toddlers...and I don't have THAT many bikes.
Old 11-23-07, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 20 miles, then went to the SF Zoo with the wife and kids, came home and ate (gasp!) leftovers from the fridge. Turkey tomorrow with extended family, a much better day to be driving I-80 than T-day. And football? We don't need no steenking football!! And that goes double for today's "sales".
Old 11-23-07, 05:19 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headed out on a usual 40+ mile route. Caught up to a young couple on our local “bayfront”. They were headed sort of up the bay, but not sure of where to go. So I took them up the local bay rd/river road. Turns out they were newly transplanted to Oregon from upstate New York. They were camping in a local state park in a yurt.

We ran into a brisk east wind on the way up the bay, especially on a long straight stretch, but got out of it further inland.

After a loop around the next town, we headed back down river, catching a good tailwind for most of the trip back.

Weather was clear, cool (very hard frost over night—didn’t leave until 11:30), and breezy at times, but for the Oregon coast in late November, almost a perfect day.

I did go by some friends' house later and got some turkey and dressing and a couple of eggnogs, as I didn't cook anything.
Old 11-23-07, 07:21 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Didn't have bike with me so I hiked 4.5 miles through hilly woods with belly full of turkey. I noticed that hiking takes different foot muscles than biking.
Old 11-23-07, 07:31 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It snowed here 3" on Wednesday, hasn't melted off yet. Lows around 20 last night. My riding trail is in bad shape, so no ride for me.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-23-07, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
We ate a traditional amount (too much) of a traditional turkey dinner then had a traditional amount (way too much) of traditional desserts (pie). No time for a ride on Thanksgiving day as I had to change the oil in my truck and clean guns from the Thanksgiving eve day at the range. Rode into town today to the lbs to check out all the goodies. 28 miles round trip. Watched the Hogs play LSU tonight and nearly had a heart attack. Even though the permanent residence is in LA, I am an Arkansas boy by birth. I've been fortunate enough to get in two rides down here, one on Wednesday and one today. The kids are home, and my mom is down here with us, so it's been really great. I will need to ride a bunch when I get back to northwest Arkansas to burn off the Thanksgiving excesses and make some room for all of the Christmas food.
Old 11-24-07, 12:57 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I did an 8.5 mi TT and then rode to my parents' house (25 mi). Watched some football and ate turkey with most of my family. My sister drove me to the race and my wife and kids met me at my parents' house. Rode 15 mi on Wednesday, 36 mi today, hopefully will ride 62 mi tomorrow, and finally, I should be doing 58 mi on Sunday.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 11-24-07, 01:28 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of town with no bike...so, went for a 4 mile run* with my kids and my brother.

Then had Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends.

* One nice thing about running...when you're traveling, it's a whole lot easier to pack a pair of running shoes and shorts, than it is to schlep a bike on and off airplanes.
Old 11-24-07, 01:34 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
A poll about what one did on Thanksgiving that doesn't include an option for having watched football???
You didn't watch England fail dismally in the European Cup Qualifiers on wednesday night -did you?

No thanksgiving over here but I had to work in any case. Annual stocktake so 18hr day and I am still not ready to ride on Saturday. Have to get out today though as the 50+ jersey arrived and I just have to get a picture on a ride somewhere. Or May do if it warms up. temp of about 25F at present and plenty of Black Ice.

Haven't Voted on the poll as there is no category for

Stayed at work working for a good Boss who made it an enjoyable day (Wouldn't have voted for that either)

Spike Milligan
Old 11-24-07, 02:48 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
You didn't watch England fail dismally in the European Cup Qualifiers on wednesday night -did you?
[Soccer Rant On]

Not much of a soccer fan. Tried to become one several years ago, attended a few college games, followed the World Cup and the US professional league a bit. But lost interest. Might like it better if the average score was more like 5-4 or 4-3, where there was actually more than a 2% chance someone might score on each rush down the field. Where when a team takes a 1-0 lead, they couldn't play it safe for the rest of the match. Not looking for wild 10-9 games.

In the recent European championship qualifying games, there were 22 games and the losing team scored 2 goals only 3 times, with no losing team scoring over 2 goals, with 15 teams scoring 0 goals.

I like defense, I don't mind low-scoring baseball or football games, but soccer is ridiculous on that front.

If baseball wanted the average score to be 1-0 or 2-1, they could make the bats thinner, raise the pitching mound and move it in 15' closer to home plate. I suppose American football could change the rule so that teams would have only 3 downs to make 20 yards, instead of 4 to make 10. This would result in much more punting. They could narrow the endzones down to being half as wide as present & eliminate field goals & extra points, making all TDs worth 1 point.

Soccer is never going to be widely popular in the USA under the present rules. Not that soccer fans care if the USA ever gets on-board. After all, baseball doesn't care what Europe thinks about it.

[Soccer Rant Off]

On Thanksgiving I was watching the ageless Brett Favre carve up the Detroit Lions. It has been a thrilling ride watching Favre pver the past 16 years. Through both the highs and lows. Here in Wisconsin, Favre is more than legend, he is deity. On Thanksgiving Day, one gives thanks for family, harvest, and Favre.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-24-07, 02:56 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tom

Your rant about soccer is exactly how I feel about it. Used to play rugby when I was younger and this is a better game to play and to watch.

Soccer players are wimps. They get a touch from another player and they should get an Oscar for their acting in trying to get a foul declared. A 180lbs rugby player runs into a wall of 300lbs opposition player and knocks the wall down. They get kicked 10ft from a scrum and just pick themselves up to play again.

Sport is what you make it and if you do want to watch a really boring game- watch Cricket.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-24-07, 09:44 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Soccer is never going to be widely popular in the USA under the present rules.
I guess that depends on how you measure popularity. I know that the community and school leagues have plenty of kids signing up to play, even here in Podunk, rural Georgia. I know how often club members can't make it to our rides because of conflicts with their kids' soccer games.

I agree that big time college or professional soccer, like bicycle racing, is not likely to achieve the absurd levels of popularity like football, baseball or basketball. But I would say that it is already widely popular and with so many kids playing will continue to grow.
Old 11-24-07, 10:14 AM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AuntieM
Where's the option for cooked & cleaned all day before eating with the family?
Ditto, AuntieM!
Old 11-24-07, 11:30 AM
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
25 mi in the morning, another 15 about 2 hours after the meal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.