Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainer Command Post

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-23-07, 07:50 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anxious to hear war stories (hence the message title) and success stories of how you've set up your bike training area. What didn't work, and what does work?

I'll have a small room (training room) in the bament, adjacent to the furnace room. The training room is maybe 8' x 12'. The best thing going for it is a door, that I can keep the animals out with. Also a possible good thing going for the training room, is that our TV/computer (Comcast) cable is fed from outside the house and through our furnace room ... so I should be able to splice the cable and have tv channels available in the training room.

Along with logistical things (VCR maybe?) that help to keep training from becoming boring (VCR maybe?), what are some logistical things that provide efficiency ... or at least comfort to training? An example of logistical comfort could include a fan to keep your body cool. And for comfort ... would you have the fan in front of your trainer ... so that you are "riding into the wind"?

And other input could include how your riding style is different on a bike mounted to a trainer ... as compared to being on a bike on the road. Do you use just use platform pedals ... do you just use gel saddles instead of Brooks ... stuff like that.

My first input would be to get a fan ... because it could get toasty near the furnace room. My second input would be to get a TV. I might possibly hook our VHS (yes, VHS) cassette player to the training room TV, to give me an excuse to replace the VHS that is still in our living room.
Old 11-23-07, 08:06 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10752 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Music.....loud cadence paceing rock music............but

did I mention that I hate trainers?
Old 11-23-07, 08:30 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another one I thought of: Cell phone.
Our house is only 1400 square feet, for me and the missus ... one big dog ... one fat cat ... and one 2-lb kitten. But our cell phone plan allows like 300 minutes per month, and we probably currently use less than 50 minutes/month. I don't have a land-line in the training room, and in case I'm watching Laurel & Hardy on a VHS cassette, the missus won't have to scream communication at me from the top of the stairs.
Old 11-23-07, 08:41 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Spare bedroom where I store my bikes has a TV, DVD player and my good stereo that got bumped from the living room to make way for surround sound. I'll set up Uncle Duke on the Kurt Kinetic in front of the Audio Video system. Loud rock music and old movies to while away the tortuous minutes when I can't get out to ride. ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONE!!!!!!
Old 11-23-07, 08:42 AM
gary c

Bikes: Trek oclv 5000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turbo trainers

I have my bike in the living room, parked in the corner when not in use & in front of the big screen tv when I am on the trainer. Riding at a normal rate during the program and sprinting during commercials. Oh yea I also look out the windows and watch the surf roll in, birds fly by, the dog in the yard and the rain & wind blow. This seems to work the best for me. I used to have my bike in the basement on the trainer with a tv but it was very boring most of the time. If it is boring you won't ride. Have the best view possible, best tv program on tivo and ride often. It keeps me somewhat sane and somewhat fit during the rainy months.
Old 11-23-07, 03:55 PM
1centaur
Carbon-based lifeform

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fan is a must, because overheating will shorten your bike time dramatically. The fan should be aimed at your torso and head from as close to you as possible in the front but compatible with your viewing angle or a reading stand, so it's best if it's a fan on a pole. Not all locales have good fans readily available, especially in the winter when people need to be on trainers. Look on the Net - here are lots of options. Multi-speeds and more power is good; plastic blades are quieter but metal blades are more common on more powerful fans. I also have a small fan at my feet blowing up to supplement the main fan.

Fan noise adds to trainer noise to make TV/DVDs tough at volumes that don't bother others. Consider a set-up with headphones, particularly noise canceling headphones which are IDEAL for mostly wiping out the steady drone of trainer and fan(s).

You will find that TV is more boring than reading, and if you just want base miles on a trainer to burn calories, etc., boredom is your enemy (which is why so many can't stand trainers). Get those reading stands that attach to your handlebars and find the most interesting book out there - your body will get fitter without you noticing if the book is good enough.

Make sure your lighting is good enough to make the reading easy.

Saddles on the trainer may not be the same saddles you use on the road because you may be seated more constantly. Good luck - I've been fine on the road for years but am still searching for nirvana on the trainer. A Thomson post is a good thought for the trainer so you can tweak saddle angle more precisely and more often as you lock it in.

A good shelving unit to the side of the bike is nice for putting sweat rags, books, remote controls, etc.
Old 11-24-07, 09:23 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
Anxious to hear war stories (hence the message title) and success stories of how you've set up your bike training area. What didn't work, and what does work?

I'll have a small room (training room) in the bament, adjacent to the furnace room. The training room is maybe 8' x 12'. The best thing going for it is a door, that I can keep the animals out with. Also a possible good thing going for the training room, is that our TV/computer (Comcast) cable is fed from outside the house and through our furnace room ... so I should be able to splice the cable and have tv channels available in the training room.

Along with logistical things (VCR maybe?) that help to keep training from becoming boring (VCR maybe?), what are some logistical things that provide efficiency ... or at least comfort to training? An example of logistical comfort could include a fan to keep your body cool. And for comfort ... would you have the fan in front of your trainer ... so that you are "riding into the wind"?

And other input could include how your riding style is different on a bike mounted to a trainer ... as compared to being on a bike on the road. Do you use just use platform pedals ... do you just use gel saddles instead of Brooks ... stuff like that.

My first input would be to get a fan ... because it could get toasty near the furnace room. My second input would be to get a TV. I might possibly hook our VHS (yes, VHS) cassette player to the training room TV, to give me an excuse to replace the VHS that is still in our living room.
Motorad, get something like a music stand so you can prop up literature at a reasonable reading position. Training manuals, novels, a personal computer linked to wireless, magazines! You can also put your cell phone and heart rate monitor on it, along with a trainign diary if you keep one. Maybe even a few small wrenches to quickly fine-tune the saddle and 'bar positions.

Fan for sure, but we have a ceiling fan that helps a lot! Not huge air speed, but quiet. Many floor fans set up a gale-force wind, but are also loud.

Road Fan
Old 11-24-07, 09:28 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
A fan is a must, because overheating will shorten your bike time dramatically. The fan should be aimed at your torso and head from as close to you as possible in the front but compatible with your viewing angle or a reading stand, so it's best if it's a fan on a pole. Not all locales have good fans readily available, especially in the winter when people need to be on trainers. Look on the Net - here are lots of options. Multi-speeds and more power is good; plastic blades are quieter but metal blades are more common on more powerful fans. I also have a small fan at my feet blowing up to supplement the main fan.

Fan noise adds to trainer noise to make TV/DVDs tough at volumes that don't bother others. Consider a set-up with headphones, particularly noise canceling headphones which are IDEAL for mostly wiping out the steady drone of trainer and fan(s).

You will find that TV is more boring than reading, and if you just want base miles on a trainer to burn calories, etc., boredom is your enemy (which is why so many can't stand trainers). Get those reading stands that attach to your handlebars and find the most interesting book out there - your body will get fitter without you noticing if the book is good enough.

Make sure your lighting is good enough to make the reading easy.

Saddles on the trainer may not be the same saddles you use on the road because you may be seated more constantly. Good luck - I've been fine on the road for years but am still searching for nirvana on the trainer. A Thomson post is a good thought for the trainer so you can tweak saddle angle more precisely and more often as you lock it in.

A good shelving unit to the side of the bike is nice for putting sweat rags, books, remote controls, etc.
+1 on the shelving, TV, headphones, lighting, seatpost, and saddles! However, I don't agree on the handlebar reading stands. The one I have (Nashbar) is not very stable on the bars. I use a music stand to hold everything at an angle and height that works with my arm reach and my bifocals.

Road Fan
Old 11-24-07, 09:37 PM
edzo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a spinbike with table next to it

tv and dvd player in front

big fan in front,
dual 6-way fan in the windowsill

with remote controls for the main fan, and window fan
remote for the dvd, remote for the tv

2 bottles [or more] of gatorade (1 bottle/hour)

and a big snot towel