Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Antidote for Turkey-Induced Coma

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-23-07, 01:16 PM
tpelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woke up this AM, and it was 20 F outside with a light dusting of snow. The wife and kids were going on the traditional day-after-thanksgiving shopping expedition - I decided to ride!

I kicked around the house until about 10:00 AM, when the thermometer finally broke 30F, and figured I'd go while the going was good. This is my first winter riding (at least since I was 16 years old), and this morning would be my first ride at temperatures lower than 40F. I'm still experimenting with my cold-weather riding gear, and here's how I geared up:

Feet - Two pairs of socks (one thin pair, and one regular pair of athletic socks). I ride with toe clips and straps, so I just put my leather New Balance sneakers on over that.

Legs - Bike shorts, jogging pants over that, and windpants over that.

Torso - One short-sleeve jersey, one long-sleeve jersey over that, a fleece pullover, and a cycling rain/wind jacket over that.

Hands - One pair of knitted cycling gloves, one pair of mechanic's leather gloves over that.

Head - Headband with ear flaps, helmet with rain cover to keep the wind out of the vents.

I wear either contact lenses or glasses, and today I decided to just ride with the glasses - sometimes the cold wind drys my eyes out and makes the contacts uncomfortable. My glasses, however, are steel-frame. Steel-frame glasses are really cold across the bridge of the nose!

At these temperatures, the clothing I wore seemed to work pretty good - all except for the hands. By 5 miles my fingertips were extremely cold, to the point of being painful. By 10 miles my entire fingers were cold. I was riding at between 15 to 18 mph. I finally slowed down to between 6 to 10 mph, and by mile 14 my fingers warmed back up. I think I'll go shopping for ski gloves.

Everything else remained comfortably cool - nothing got really cold except for my fingers.

I originally intended to do 25 miles, but by mile 14 it was starting to sleet. I had a choice at about mile 14.5 to either cut the ride short by taking a detour home, which would make the total about 20 miles, or go straight for the whole 25. Considering the worsening weather conditions, I bailed out on the detour.

Anyway, here are a couple of cell-phone pics:

Washington Trace Road, where it passes through a patch of woods between Painter Road and Carthage Road.

Bridge over Twelve-Mile Creek on Mary Ingles Highway, at Oneonta, KY
Old 11-23-07, 01:39 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post

At these temperatures, the clothing I wore seemed to work pretty good - all except for the hands. By 5 miles my fingertips were extremely cold, to the point of being painful. By 10 miles my entire fingers were cold. I was riding at between 15 to 18 mph. I finally slowed down to between 6 to 10 mph, and by mile 14 my fingers warmed back up. I think I'll go shopping for ski gloves.

Nice pictures! I wore very similar clothing for my ride this morning.

I tried a new pair of gloves this morning and they worked great in the 33F weather. It was a $10 pair of gloves with Thinsulate from K-Mart. I wore a pair of thin knit gloves under them and they kept my hands warmer than the expensive PI windstopper gloves

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-23-07, 02:04 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stealing my Thunder----

Tonight we are going to have our first heavy Frost of the year and I was going to get out on the bike and get some pics of the frost- Unfortunately- We have our "NEW" pool arriving tomorrow- Yep that's right- November and the swimming pool arrives. Any one for brass Monkeys?

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-07, 02:09 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Nice pix and ride report. Looks like a really nice place to ride. Congrats on the cold weather ride.

The temperature here in central Louisiana was about 44 deg. when I started my ride. I too am experimenting with the cool/cold weather gear. I wore a polyester knit tee shirt, a long sleeve jersey with a short sleeve jersey on top. I got away with leg warmers only. I need to get some tights for when the temperatures are about the same as yours today. I was cool on the ride, but not cold.

The ride today was 28 miles, which put the total for the year right at 2,700 miles.

I think the food vs. ride contest is a losing battle. There's just too much stuff around here to eat, and my will power is just about non existent. Also, my wife, mother, son, and daughter keep fussing at me, repeatedly, about being too thin. I think the best I can hope for is to at least burn some of it off.

Bon apetit and good riding!
Old 11-23-07, 02:18 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Stealing my Thunder----

Tonight we are going to have our first heavy Frost of the year and I was going to get out on the bike and get some pics of the frost- Unfortunately- We have our "NEW" pool arriving tomorrow- Yep that's right- November and the swimming pool arrives. Any one for brass Monkeys?
Stapfam....just in time for the January 1 Polar Bear Dip. You, the wife, the daughters will all be taking the plunge-- right?
Old 11-23-07, 02:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
Stapfam....just in time for the January 1 Polar Bear Dip. You, the wife, the daughters will all be taking the plunge-- right?
Only if the Pool heater gets it up to Bath Temperature for me. I can take cold weather- I can take Cold bike rides with the right clothing but Cold water------

Jan 1st and the local swimming club dip in the Sea at Eastbourne. Seeing all that blue skin makes me go and find a hill to get warm on.

Tpelle.

Main thing to stay warm in cold weather is to windproof, and layers. Base layer vest- One or two cycling jerseys over that and then the windproof. Same on the feet with Sealskinz socks or two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between. Hands, and this is my problem and I wear an ordinary pair of gloves that are waterproof over the cycling gloves. I also wear a Ski Mask in really cold weather- but this does get a bit too warm occasionally.

Big problem with cold weather- is actually getting on the bike and riding. Once I summon up the courage to get the bike out of the shed- the ride is on.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-23-07, 06:20 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Only if the Pool heater gets it up to Bath Temperature for me. I can take cold weather- I can take Cold bike rides with the right clothing but Cold water------

Jan 1st and the local swimming club dip in the Sea at Eastbourne. Seeing all that blue skin makes me go and find a hill to get warm on.

Tpelle.

Main thing to stay warm in cold weather is to windproof, and layers. Base layer vest- One or two cycling jerseys over that and then the windproof. Same on the feet with Sealskinz socks or two pairs of socks with a plastic bag between. Hands, and this is my problem and I wear an ordinary pair of gloves that are waterproof over the cycling gloves. I also wear a Ski Mask in really cold weather- but this does get a bit too warm occasionally.

Big problem with cold weather- is actually getting on the bike and riding. Once I summon up the courage to get the bike out of the shed- the ride is on.
I actually like the cold weather, although when it gets cold enough that inhaling the cold air becomes a danger to one's lungs, I suppose I'll just have to stay in the garage and lift weights. My wife is going shopping with her sister this evening, and I asked her to look for a pair of ski gloves for me.

Stepfam, I'm not too sure how familiar you are with American holidays, but yesterday was our big harvest feast day over here - Thanksgiving, which always falls on a Thursday - and today, Friday, is the start of our Christmas shopping season. All the stores run big sales and special promotions, open at midnight, first put out their "next big thing" in video games, etc. and shoppers are standing outside hours before the doors open.

I stay home (this year, rode my bike)!

One other thing I have to remember to bring with me, now that I'm riding longer distances, is a little money. I normally carry nothing other than a cell phone, and have a set of "dogtags" imprinted with ID and medical info. I am diabetic (Type II) and consequently have to watch my meal schedule - if I'm caught out it may be convenient to stop at a roadside market and buy a snack or a drink. Maybe I should just pack something, huh?

My birthday is next Friday (I'll be 55), and mentioned that I'd like to have a handlebar bag and a bike lock as a gift. I'd hate to stop at a store, only to come out and find my bike is gone!

Edit: On second look, I didn't realize how spooky-looking that tree is that I have the 'trucker leaning against in the first picture! One can clearly see two eyes, a "Boston Blackie" moustache over a grinning mouth, and a pointed chin! Only the ancient "posted" sign ruins the effect, although I suppose they could be the teeth in his grin! Then again, maybe I shouldn't surf the web while drinking whiskey on the rocks.

Last edited by tpelle; 11-23-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 06:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have never found a glove advertised as a "bicycling glove" to be warm, and I have tried several. I end up with my ski gloves, which are warm. The bicycling gloves leak air, and are COLD!
Old 11-23-07, 08:53 PM
Mobiker50
Simulated Tough Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
I'm still experimenting with my cold-weather riding gear, and here's how I geared up:
Feet - Two pairs of socks (one thin pair, and one regular pair of athletic socks). I ride with toe clips and straps, so I just put my leather New Balance sneakers on over that.
One pair of winter-weight cushion bottom athletic socks inside NM leather cross-trainers (rode the MTB, no clipless)
Legs - Bike shorts, jogging pants over that, and windpants over that.
Bike shorts, UnderArmour cold gear tights, cotton sweat pants over everything.
Torso - One short-sleeve jersey, one long-sleeve jersey over that, a fleece pullover, and a cycling rain/wind jacket over that.
Wicking short sleeve bottom layer, long sleeve cotton t-shirt with windproof technical shell on top.
Hands - One pair of knitted cycling gloves, one pair of mechanic's leather gloves over that.
Plain, thick leather gloves.
Head - Headband with ear flaps, helmet with rain cover to keep the wind out of the vents.
St. Louis Cardinals baseball hat, with headband over ears

My ride started at 37 degrees, ended at 37 degrees, but some bottom ground and a whole lot of shade made parts of it uncomfortable. Once I was warmed up (about mile 3-4), I was good to go with the exception of being uncomfortable sucking in huge quantities of cold air, although that eased as the ride went on. By 18 miles I was ready for it to be over, but nothing was freezing when I got off the bike (although I have to admit the heater in the car felt good afterward
Old 11-23-07, 09:38 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
30F is seriously cold for riding by my standards. I'm not sure I would be motivated enough to try it. We do get weather that cold and colder here in Georgia, but not so many days that I feel like I can't wait for better weather to ride. Around 40 is as cold as I want to deal with. As others have mentioned, feet and fingers are the hardest things for me to keep warm. Salute to you folks who ride in the cold often. My weather challenge comes in the summer, not the winter.

Today's ride was not bad at all. Temps from high 40s to mid 50s, sunny, some wind but not too bad - 8 to 10 mph. Wool socks, knee warmers short bibs and a l/s jersey over a wicking t-shirt was all the cold weather gear I needed.
The 35 mile ride included about 2200 ft. of climbing. The hardest was a 1-1/2 mile climb at mostly 8-12% grade. It's one of those that looks innocent at the start, gets harder then goes around a turn and keeps going up and up. Burned off a lot of that turkey and trimmings from yesterday.

A friend who rode with me used a Garmin to record this:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4493437

Here is the bottom part of the hill. It keeps going up around that right hand curve.