Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Multiple Flats with a Mavic Open Pro???

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-24-07, 02:45 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About a year ago I had my rear wheel replaced with a Mavic Open Pro, since then have had at least half dozen flats. Each flat was due to a cut in the tube at the base of the stem. I have tried three different brands of tube, all with the same result. I have filed the stem openings in the wheel, both the one inside and outside (double wall). Still having flats. Any ideas what is causing the cuts/flats and how to fix it?? Thanks!

-Spoke
Old 11-24-07, 03:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
About a year ago I had my rear wheel replaced with a Mavic Open Pro, since then have had at least half dozen flats. Each flat was due to a cut in the tube at the base of the stem.
What are you using to inflate your tires?
Old 11-24-07, 03:14 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be the hole has a burr or sharp edge but if you have smoothed that over- then it may not be the reason. What sort of stem are you using? I use the type without a nut on to tighten and No problems. That nut is not to be used to screw that stem into the wheel. If you overtighten it- then you will pull the stem into the hole and hence cut it- Finger tight on the nut only. Then again- when you pump up the tyre- Do you pull on the stem? Lots of movement around the stem and you can rip it.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-24-07, 03:50 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floor pump or frame pump for inflation? If a frame pump, and you don't stablize the wheel while pumping by leaning it against something fairly unmoving, you can tear the valve stem where it joins the tube by back and forth motion. This is one possibility. I ride mostly Open Pros....very reliable rims in performance and manufacture.
Old 11-24-07, 04:17 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you using to inflate your tires?
A Topeak floor hand pump, to about 110psi.

What sort of stem are you using?
All of the tubes have metal stems with locknuts or whatever they call the threaded thumbnuts that screw down on the stem to the rim. The suggestion to keep the thumbnut lightly tightened is a good one. I don't think I have over tightened them, but I could try to loosen them up a bit.

When using the frame pump (only out on the road due to a flat) I try to brace the head of the pump on my left thigh and pump with my right hand.

I like the Open Pro, it's just that I have been having too many of the same kind of flats. It may be that the stem hole or opening in the Open Pro is a little bigger that the other wheel (a Mavic CXP21).

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Ride on!
-Spoke
Old 11-24-07, 05:14 PM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What rim strip?
Velox tape is highly recommended and an extra layer at the valve hole is good insurance.
Old 11-24-07, 06:00 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a cheap and nasty experiment, put a couple of layers of electrical tape over the valve hole, punch the hole through with a screwdriver and then install the tube. If it's something on the wheel, that'll give you enough protection to prevent the cuts. If the hole is a tad large as you suggest, that'll effectively decrease the hole and prevent the cuts. If you're delusional, this will give you the warm, fuzzy feeling of doing something.

Richard
Old 11-24-07, 07:14 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10524 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The Open Pro, being a double walled rim has 2 holes through which the stem passes. Can you determine where on the stem the leak is happening in relation to the two walls. I just looked at a Mavic rim in the shop and there are considerable burs from drilling the holes in the space between the walls. I use a sharp x-acto knive to reach in and carve the burs away. Then comes the question.....where are those loose burs.....are they still trapped in the cavity between the inner and outer walls of the rim. Will they come back to cut the stem later.
Old 11-25-07, 05:02 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I like the idea of the electrical tape, I'm all for warm fuzzy feelings that I am doing something. I may use a leather punch, the kind that actually cuts a small circle, to create the hole. That way (hopefully) the tape will stretch rather than tear when the stem is installed. Thanks!

The cuts in the tube were at the base of the stem, so that matches up with the hole in the inside wall of the rim (the one closest to the tire). The stem is all metal where it passes through the hole in the outside wall of the rim (the one closest to the hub). I used a rat-tail file to remove any rough edges and burs or atleast I tried. I don't think the loose burs inside the rim will cause any problems, but who knows, stranger things have happened. I'm going to try the electrical tape and will report back how it goes. Thanks everyone!

Ride on!
-Spoke
Old 11-25-07, 05:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you replace the tube on the road, are you using CO2 cartridges to fill it? The sudden temperature drop on the stem, seems to degrade the glue holding the tube to the stem. That eventually leads to a flat at the stem.
Old 11-25-07, 09:45 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw the nut away it will cause problems like you described. Check your rim tape. I recently went back to Velox cloth tape from the plastic. The plastic ones I had were too big around the valve hole and offered no protection. Recently I checked out the Performance plastic rim tape and I noticed that the new ones have small valve holes to protect the area you are describing. I have been riding Mavic Open Pro and when I changed to the Cloth tape I suffered no further problems.
Another thing you can do is to bevel the valve hold with a large drill bit then file the area. I haven't tried it yet buy an appropriate abrasive dremel tool bit may be perfect.
Old 11-26-07, 02:54 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deanster04 View Post
Another thing you can do is to bevel the valve hold with a large drill bit then file the area. I haven't tried it yet buy an appropriate abrasive dremel tool bit may be perfect.
Hmm, I'm having visions of ham fisted old me deciding to switch to schraeder valves after discovering that they now fit

Seriously though, I wouldn't have though you'd need to get aggressive, and I'd regard a rat tail file as 'aggressive', let alone a dremel or a power drill. Thousands of wheels work quite well with just a hole drilled in the rim ie, no bevelling or anything else. Past experience with bevelling things to 'ease' a hole has taught me that it's usually more trouble than it's worth and more likely to be a bandaid than a cure to whatever the problem is. If there are sharp edges in there, knock them off, but please don't get too hard on them.

Richard
Old 11-26-07, 06:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You might try cutting a "patch" out of an old tube, putting a hole in it, and slipping it over the valve stem. This would provide protection around the stem, should prevent a burr from puncturing. BTW-I also have stems with the threaded thumbnuts. The only time they are against the rim is when I'm inflating the tube. After tube is inflated, I back them off to about halfway up the stem, so they can't bind or pull at the tube.
Old 11-26-07, 12:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw the nut away it will cause problems like you described. Check your rim tape. I recently went back to Velox cloth tape from the plastic. The plastic ones I had were too big around the valve hole and offered no protection. Recently I checked out the Performance plastic rim tape and I noticed that the new ones have small valve holes to protect the area you are describing. I have been riding Mavic Open Pro and when I changed to the Cloth tape I suffered no further problems.
I use valves with no thread and no nut.

Have used velox tape on all my wheels and even strip the wheels on new bikes to put velox tape in.

I have even used presta stems in Schraeder Holes with no problems so Look at throwing the nut away and putting electrical tape to cover the hole and repunching the hole.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-26-07, 12:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not clear if the rim is drilled for presta or schrader. If it's drilled for schrader and you're using a presta tube, that *might* cause the problem. You can get adapters to go in the rim to make the effective opening smaller, to properly fit a presta valve stem. Or, if that's what you've got, simply get a schrader tube.
Old 11-26-07, 01:17 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10524 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If its an open pro...its presta.
Old 11-26-07, 02:43 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throw the nut away it will cause problems like you described.
That was my first thought on reading the first post, even before the OP said he was using them. I toss 'em....
Old 11-26-07, 03:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
If its an open pro...its presta.
Should be -- unless somebody drilled it before it got to Spoke.
Old 11-27-07, 09:21 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you replace the tube on the road, are you using CO2 cartridges to fill it?
No CO2 cartridges, just a small frame pump.

The wheel has Velox tape. I used the rat-tail file just to smooth off any ragged edges, not to make the hole larger. The hole is for a presta stem, not a schrader stem, a schrader stem would not fit.

I think I am going to use some electrical tape or maybe a small piece from a old tube with a hole.

Ride on!
-Spoke