Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Qualty wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/365057-qualty-wheels.html)

stapfam 11-25-07 08:15 AM

Qualty wheels

Went to the LBS yesterday to get new tyres and got the same as I already Have. Michelin PR2's as they seem to be the lightest around- sensible price- and I already like the way they ride and wear. The Boreas when it came had Vrederstein Fortezzias on it and although they seemed to be good, I wore them out within 600 miles. For the last month I have been using the Hand built wheels from my LBS that had PR2's already fitted. These wheels and tyres have been on the Giant previously and have had about 1500 miles on them. The mould marks have only just gone from the front tyre and the rear does not have any sign of a flat area on it.

So yesterdays ride was on Boreas with the Hand built wheels and the old- but nearly unused- PR2's on it. Last night I put the new tyres on the Ultegra wheels and virtually did the same ride down for coffee today. I must be getting old as it still felt cold this morning. So same bike- Same weather- same rider and the only change being the Ultegra wheels. Unless you count the new tyres as they are a different colour but don't honestly think this has much bearing on the matter. Average speed to the cafe yesterday was 14.1 mph. Todays ride was 16.2. No head or tail wind to speak of on either ride- Same clothing so can't blame it on extra layers. Only difference is the wheels.

I know that I keep on about hand built wheels and how good they are, and compared to OM wheels on most bikes they are. But these qualty wheels that are just a bit higher up the price range that most of us have are superb. How they would compare with a Krysium or any other higher priced wheel- I do not know but if any of you are looking for that upgrade to improve their speed- or distance or bragging rights- should look at their existing wheels and think of what their next upgrade should be.

By the way- The rest of the ride took in 3 hills as I was feeling so elated. It was one hill too many and struggled home agianst a 20mph headwind that suddenly appeared.

George 11-25-07 11:12 AM

I had the chance to upgrade the wheels on my new bike, but I didn't. Now that I'm reading more about wheels, I wish I took him up on it. It sounds like you had a great ride. I wish the wind would go away from here for a while just to see how it feels.

Leigh_caines 11-25-07 11:19 AM

I agree
Biggest improvment is to start with ones wheels

But I have to many bike to buy real good wheels for them all :)
So just got a stand and will start building my own [maybe by the time I'm old and grey I'll be good at it]

Leigh_caines 11-25-07 11:22 AM

"George, I love wind"
"Bull ...."
"Yeah I do, as long as it's coming from right behind me"
:)

Mojo Slim 11-25-07 02:19 PM

My Giant OCR Limited came with relatively cheap/heavy Xero wheels (albeit, the look good). I spent most of the $600 I saved on the bike (distress sale at my LBS) and bought a set of Nimble rims @ 1351 grams. Saved almost 2 lbs of weight and got better performance. And they are bulletproof.

Motorad 11-25-07 08:46 PM

Stepfam, I'm curious on how you are making your transition from mountain bikes to the Dark Side (roadies). What width of tires (in mm) do you usually ride on your MTBs ... and what width are your PR2 tires on your Darth Vader roadie? Any problems transitioning from wider MTBs to skinnier road tires?

stapfam 11-26-07 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Motorad (Post 5691402)
Stepfam, I'm curious on how you are making your transition from mountain bikes to the Dark Side (roadies). What width of tires (in mm) do you usually ride on your MTBs ... and what width are your PR2 tires on your Darth Vader roadie? Any problems transitioning from wider MTBs to skinnier road tires?

Change over the Skinny tyres was not a problem- what was a shock though was how hard the tarmac is without a big fat knobbly to cushion road shocks. Road Hills seem to be about the same- have climbed all the same hills that I used to climb with the lower gearing on the MTB although I might be standing towards the end.

On tyres- Depends on how hard the offroad is but I like to run with a 1.8 tyre- especially in winter where the narrow tyre cuts through the mud to a solid surface below for grip. May go up to a 2.1 for summer baked trails but Then lose a bit of Steering control with the wide tyre. Tyres on the Giant and Boreas are 23's. I did try to get some 21's this weekend but they would have been a special order and I am impatient-Want it NOW.

The only problem I had changing to the dark side was in position on the bike. It took nearly a year before I felt comfortable in the drops and rode the hoods all the time. Now, if there is a sign of a headwind- or I want to push a bit harder- then the drops are used. The only other thing is that I find it easy to drop below working level on the road bike. I have to push to keep the HR up above 135- wheras on the MTB- That is probably the lowesr I would have on a ride unless I am admiring the scenery.

The Smokester 11-26-07 11:58 PM

stapfam,
What Ultegras are they? I have the ones with 16 radial aero spokes on the front and twenty on the back (3 cross DS and radial NDS) with an asymmetric rim. Pretty cool. Oh yeah, and the spoke nipples are in the hub so as to reduce rotating mass (so they say).

Motorad 11-27-07 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5694491)
I did try to get some 21's this weekend but they would have been a special order and I am impatient-Want it NOW.

My tailbone received a hairline fracture, just reading about 21 mm tires. I'm still waiting to ride 25 mm tires in February, which may involve padded briefs under my padded shorts. :eek:

stapfam 11-27-07 12:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by The Smokester (Post 5698753)
stapfam,
What Ultegras are they? I have the ones with 16 radial aero spokes on the front and twenty on the back (3 cross DS and radial NDS) with an asymmetric rim. Pretty cool. Oh yeah, and the spoke nipples are in the hub so as to reduce rotating mass (so they say).

Sounds the same as mine. 16 front and 20 rear spokes with the same hubs. No pic but Probike have these wheels on sale at

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=w1029

I am a believer in Hand built wheels and when I got the Giant- I was not happy with the wheels. I got my wheel builder to set up a pair for me of 105 hubs-Mavic CXP33 rims and 36 spokes. As he said- These wheels wil last me out and they are a big improvement over the OM wheels. When I got the Boreas frame and started sorting the bits to go on- He immediately offered me a pair he had bought and selected and tweaked and were a very good pair of wheels. He sorted these wheels for his own bike and spent a lot of time in trueing- Lightening and getting the bearings to run smooth. He got them all ready to fit to his bike- only to find that they were 10 speed only and he runs 9 speed on all his bikes. I got them at his cost price- but he did say that they were a good set of wheels. I believe him.

And motorad- Padded shorts are not that cushioning. Can't really recommend a saddle to help you either but if you do have Derriere problems- Look at a suspension seat post to take the sting out of Rough riding. I only use one on the Tandem but for that little bit of cushioning- this might be the way to investigate. Unfortunately- cheap suspension posts are more trouble than they are worth but pic of the type I use and they do make a road version aswell with shorter travel

ang1sgt 11-28-07 10:24 AM

Wheels can really make a Bicycle and in the MTB world, they are a HUGE difference.
Case in Point, we are building up new 29r's at the shop to put out on the floor. 29r's are popular around here for Snow Rides and such. I built up two bikes in the past day one Gary Fisher Cobia which has the entry level style Bontrager 29 inch hoops and the a Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe full suspension bike with the new higher end "Rythem" Bontrager wheels. I rode both bikes, the Hifi I locked the rear suspension so I could try and compare bike to bike. The Cobia felt mushy, heavy and slightly unresponsive. It would track where I pointed it, but it just felt weird. The Hifi felt SO MUCH better! I thought it was the whole bike, it felt very very good.

I swapped the wheels around on both bikes and the Hifi seemed to be effected by the wheels less than the Cobia. But the better wheels on the Cobia really WOKE up that bike. I was quite surprised!
At least between these bikes it made a nice difference.

Chris

stapfam 11-28-07 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ang1sgt (Post 5707113)
Wheels can really make a Bicycle and in the MTB world, they are a HUGE difference.
Case in Point, we are building up new 29r's at the shop to put out on the floor. 29r's are popular around here for Snow Rides and such. I built up two bikes in the past day one Gary Fisher Cobia which has the entry level style Bontrager 29 inch hoops and the a Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe full suspension bike with the new higher end "Rythem" Bontrager wheels. I rode both bikes, the Hifi I locked the rear suspension so I could try and compare bike to bike. The Cobia felt mushy, heavy and slightly unresponsive. It would track where I pointed it, but it just felt weird. The Hifi felt SO MUCH better! I thought it was the whole bike, it felt very very good.

I swapped the wheels around on both bikes and the Hifi seemed to be effected by the wheels less than the Cobia. But the better wheels on the Cobia really WOKE up that bike. I was quite surprised!
At least between these bikes it made a nice difference.

Chris

Never been a fan of anything Bontrager but On the MTB I get new wheels most years (Except now I am road riding it does not get out much) I go for an XT hub and the Mavic717 rims. I have tried 32 and 36 spokes but the best wheels I have are 94 XTR hubs on mavic217 rims. All hand built and But I do have an old pair of Mavic Crossrides that have been tweeked by my builder. All these wheels are good but I still have the OM Bianchi wheels for real mud rides. No need wrecking a good set of wheels in through Mud.

People forget that an MTB still needs good wheels- no real need for the lightest but they have to be strong- And Going for strong-Also have two pairs of Full Downhill wheels for the Tandem that cost around $1,000 a pair. Need good strong wheels on that one and weight is not a problem with an all up weight of 55lbs.

stonecrd 11-28-07 12:55 PM

I had an old set of CXP22s built on Dura Ace hubs which were much nicer than my current new Ksyrium Elites. I think the older hubs are the key, they require more maintenance but they were like butter to ride. Unfortunately the rim cracked and I gave them to a friend who needed some hubs, wish I would have kept them now, I think I would take my new wheels and just swap the hubs

The Smokester 11-28-07 11:47 PM

In addition to the Ultegra's, I had built a pair of DT Swiss RR1.1, double eyelet rims, 240s hubs, 32, 3 cross spokes each wheel with thin Revolution spokes front and rear NDS (non drive side) and thicker Competition spokes on the DS. I am not really sure if I can tell the difference from the Ultegra's except the braking is a little smoother on the freshly machined RR1.1's.

Both are sweet wheels.