Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   He's not interested in cycling any longer. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/365065-hes-not-interested-cycling-any-longer.html)

knotty 11-25-07 09:22 AM

He's not interested in cycling any longer.

When I started cycling again after many years of being off, I called a friend from the old group (1970's) to see if he was still interested in cycling. He said no. After that, I used to occasionally send him an email hinting and hoping to get his interest up and to consider his health (his dad died from heart problems)

Finally, it's gotten to the point, he doesn't answer my emails any longer. I guess he really doesn't want to hear about cycling. How sad because we used to go to every local race, did 140 milers on weekends and trained on weekdays in the park without fail, rain or shine. This is the guy who taught me how to do pacelines, racing tactics, and generally how to ride in groups.

Well, I can take a hint but will just keep hoping for old times sake.

knotty

stapfam 11-25-07 09:41 AM

Many years ago I used to be in Karting. Go- Karts to many. I was good Internationally and one of the top racers in Europe. There came the day when I decided to give it up and stopped overnight. It took a lot to stop, despite many chance to get back into it over the years. Other interests came along and they gave me the buzz that Kart racing used to give me.

For some of us- Enough is enough and a decision has to be made to pull out of a pastime. There is no way that I would ever get back to Karting now.

rodrigaj 11-25-07 10:31 AM

I built half the furniture in my house over a 15 year period. Quality pieces, exquisitely finished, made out of mahagony and cherry. It was a skill that I learned from watching my uncle. I would never build another piece of furniture. I sold all my equipment. Folks that come over can't understand why I would do that. I was never injured... We all move on.

tsl 11-25-07 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by knotty (Post 5688527)
Well, I can take a hint

No you can't. Taking a hint would have meant quitting long before he stopped responding to your emails. He basically had to hit you with a shovel.

And you're still hoping?

Dude, move on...

George 11-25-07 10:58 AM

I did the same thing with sailing. I sailed for 25 years and was just about ready to sell the house buy a bigger boat and just leave it all behind. After getting battered over in southern Alabama and Pensacola FL. and meeting and talking to some liveaboards, I knew it wasn't for me. My son has a nice sailboat I hardly go down too, because power boaters, are the same to sailors as cars are to us. Time to move on and I'm glad I did. I can never see myself sitting around though, doing nothing.

n4zou 11-25-07 11:12 AM

I am or was a HAM radio operator. My FCC license is still current but I never use it now. I was very active in the hobby until a few years ago when the requirements to obtain an FCC license were starting to drop. You had to pass technically challenging tests and know how to receive and send Morse code. All that has been eliminated. This has made amateur (HAM) radio sound like something from the 1970's CB era. I've pretty much sold or packed up all my radio stuff as my interest waned as the ignorance flourished on the "air". It was fun while it lasted but now its time to move on.

oldster 11-25-07 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by n4zou (Post 5688868)
I am or was a HAM radio operator. My FCC license is still current but I never use it now. I was very active in the hobby until a few years ago when the requirements to obtain an FCC license were starting to drop. You had to pass technically challenging tests and know how to receive and send Morse code. All that has been eliminated. This has made amateur (HAM) radio sound like something from the 1970's CB era. I've pretty much sold or packed up all my radio stuff as my interest waned as the ignorance flourished on the "air". It was fun while it lasted but now its time to move on.

40 years next year...Only get on a weekly sked with some other OT's
Don,t get on mobile much any more,gotta look out for the SUV's.
73, Bud

Beverly 11-25-07 03:21 PM

Our interests often change over time. I used to sew things for the granddaughters, quilted, attended quilting shows, etc. I still have the computerized sewing machine, sergers and a garage full of material and supplies. Maybe I'll go back to it when I'm no longer able to ride:rolleyes:

Poky 11-25-07 03:38 PM

I used to be into canoeing. We used to do extended canoe camping trips and get groups together to fool around in white water. Don't have time to organize all that anymore, load up canoes get everybody together, drive several hours. Its so much easier to go out the door and get on the bike and go. I kind of equate mountain biking to white water paddling, I get the same kind of rush and building the necessary skills is the same kind of challenge.

Terex 11-25-07 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5689888)
Our interests often change over time. I used to sew things for the granddaughters, quilted, attended quilting shows, etc. I still have the computerized sewing machine, sergers and a garage full of material and supplies. Maybe I'll go back to it when I'm no longer able to ride:rolleyes:

Beverly - it sounds like you are doing something your really enjoy. That's the best hobby. If I ever quit cycling, maybe I'll take up sewing.;)

alicestrong 11-25-07 03:55 PM

Time for new friends!

bkaapcke 11-25-07 04:13 PM

My old street rodder buddies simply can't believe I rolled my 34 Ford sedan over for a bicycle. Even when I point out that I have lost 60 lbs., they don't get it. Fixilng up my bent is do-able with two kids in college. But I'm not going back to hot rods. I like the health benefits too much. bk

Monoborracho 11-25-07 05:49 PM

I gave up flying upside down and in loops. I even got rid of the plane.

In the 70's and 80's I rebuilt three classic vehicles. The last was a 51 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I got burned out and sold it partially rebuilt.

I gave up killing animals (for the most part) though I still hunt birds albeit infrequently. Over the last few years I've pretty much quit practicing marksmanship. I've started giving my rifles and shotguns to the boys.

I don't much care for woodworking anymore. I've sold many of my tools and when I finish recycling an old redwood gazebo into a deck off my bedroom, I'm going to sell or give away some more tools.

But I do like riding bikes more than I ever have.

Our interests change, and we all move on over time.

solveg 11-25-07 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5689888)

Beverly, I quilted, too! Took classes, went to shows, read a zillion books and magazines. I made a quilt totally by hand. Took a year. I'd sure like* to do it again, but I keep putting it off until I have my "real" projects done. And, of course, my eyesight just gets worse each year. Maybe I should just take the time, even if I only get to work on it Sunday evenings... because I really enjoyed it.

But I have a ton of hobbies. I don't really abandon them, it just gets hard to smoosh them all in. I really* need to get back to my hardanger fiddle, but I have bikes to work on; snow to ski, skijour and snowshoe in; furniture to refinish; video to edit; family and friends to see; plus huge home improvement projects. Oh, and dog training and exercising alone takes about 3 hours a day. Not much time left to do much else. And when will I find time to write a book???? Smoosh, smoosh, smoosh.

europa 11-25-07 08:16 PM

They reckon you've only got time for 2.5 interests ... one of which is your job.

Yeah, we all move on. Pity when you lose a friend out of it, but maybe the bikes were the only thing you had in common, the rest was just chat.

Or maybe the poor bloke has been through a dreadful time or change in life - that is quite good at severing friendships, sometimes you can only handle having one or maybe two people in your life and when you're that low, you can not explain this to someone else nor do you want a well wisher attempting to push in and 'help' (btdt, lost the friends to boot). The chances are, this has absolutely nothing to do with you or the relationship you had. It's always sad to lose a friend, but it's not always someone's 'fault' either. Some friendships are like a bike - great mates for a time, but eventually it wears out and not all are worth restoring.

Richard

Jimmyk 11-25-07 08:26 PM

I was a shooter for over 20 years and still enjoy it the few times I go out with my freinds. Cycling has taken over, guess I am a one sport man. Never thought I would loose interest in my shooting yet here I am on a cycling forum and at this point in my life it is a good thing, would love to do it for 20 more years. Come to think of it at my age I will be happy to be here in 20 years, cycling should help.

doctor j 11-25-07 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by n4zou (Post 5688868)
I am or was a HAM radio operator. My FCC license is still current but I never use it now. I was very active in the hobby until a few years ago when the requirements to obtain an FCC license were starting to drop.

Same here, for now; however, I've still got all of my equipment. When my life gets a little more stable, I hope to get the station back on the air.

73, John

Bud Bent 11-25-07 09:50 PM

For me, it was 25 years of serious tournament bass fishing, often two or three weekends a month. I still own a bass boat, and get out crappie fishing quite often, but I haven't fished a tournament in a year and a half, and cycling has become my main hobby.

Road Fan 11-26-07 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5690634)
Beverly, I quilted, too! Took classes, went to shows, read a zillion books and magazines. I made a quilt totally by hand. Took a year. I'd sure like* to do it again, but I keep putting it off until I have my "real" projects done. And, of course, my eyesight just gets worse each year. Maybe I should just take the time, even if I only get to work on it Sunday evenings... because I really enjoyed it.

But I have a ton of hobbies. I don't really abandon them, it just gets hard to smoosh them all in. I really* need to get back to my hardanger fiddle, but I have bikes to work on; snow to ski, skijour and snowshoe in; furniture to refinish; video to edit; family and friends to see; plus huge home improvement projects. Oh, and dog training and exercising alone takes about 3 hours a day. Not much time left to do much else. And when will I find time to write a book???? Smoosh, smoosh, smoosh.

Hi, Solveg! You and Beverly should both meet Mrs. Road Fan, a fanatic quilter.

Road Fan

Fangu 11-27-07 07:02 PM

Interesting thread.
My whole life from pre-teens to 40's was music. Played every venue in Los Angeles, recorded in major studios with "name" producers, invested all my time & money into "my love", yada yada...
Spent 2 years recording my last album in my home studio, and once the final master was done, turned off the power boxes, hung the guitars up on the wall and haven't picked them up since.
I was simply done.
Some of my friends, particularly ex-band mates & partners, can't compute it and continue to ask if I'm working on anything, but I just don't have any interest in it anymore. Still love the fact I did it & treasure all the recordings, but no desire to continue.
Gave up smoking and started riding the bike.......

Terrierman 11-27-07 07:10 PM

People change. I used to duck hunt passionately and swore they would find me some day face down in the marsh. I have not gone at all in four years. I don't shoot deer any more either, and now when I hunt my terriers, I normally count coup on our quarry and let them get on.

FL_Chad 11-27-07 07:31 PM

This is a very interesting thread (to echo a previous post!). I've had many very involved hobbies: SCUBA diving - dove 2-3 times a week, but when I left Okinawa in '78 I sold my gear. Miss it sometimes, but not much. Motorcycles have been an off/on addiction since 1966 - don't own one now but definatley get to jonesing at least once a year. Bicycling was "serious" from about '81-'91 but once I sold my Colnago I got over it. Have had some various recreational bikes and am getting back into commuting in December when my office moves...we'll see how this works out.
Current "burn out" is competitive BBQ competition. I've got my Kingfisher rotisserie in the side yard. I use it fairly often but only get out to competitions 3 or so times a year...fun but I wouldn't miss "it" if I quit -- I would miss a lot of the folks, though.

So yeah, we all go through cycles -- I forgot to mention my catamaran sailing period -- got in cheap, had fun, sold the boat -- came out pretty even so that's a VICTORY in the world of boating!!

I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike regularly -- I do miss dodging cars and sliding on my various body parts in rainy weather.

Terex 11-27-07 07:39 PM

"This is a very interesting thread...":rolleyes: OCD Central

Litespeed 11-27-07 07:49 PM

I spent over 25 years in riding horses, I wasn't good enough to show or anything but sure did enjoy it. After losing two wonderful horses to stones, my girlfriend talked me into getting another horse. She is a wonderful person but always talked me into the "wrong" horse or whatever. After she talking me into getting another horse which I felt I really didn't like, I ended up getting hurt on the horse. The horse was a total screwball and my gut feeling told me if I got back on that horse I would be killed. I went home, told my husband I was selling the horse, horse trailer, all my tack and getting out of horses for good. He had just gotten an old mountain bike and was just getting back into bicycling. I hadn't ridden a bicycle since I was 11 years old but I just knew it looked like a lot of fun. I made him go out that weekend with me and buy me a mountain bike--I haven't stopped riding yet. I only see my girlfriend, who is still into horses, about once a year, the other girlfriend I e-mail alot but only see once a year also, the other horseback riding friends have all moved away or stopped riding too. It made me really sad to see things change, but in my case it was for the better.

Wildwood 11-27-07 07:55 PM

I'll disagree with most other posters. If he was a really good friend (sounds like he was) then try again. Bugging by email may not be the best way, but if you ever see the man show up with an extra bike.

My personal story has to do with alpine skiing. I was pretty good in my 30s then the kids and family kept me from driving to the mountains, a couple of old friends wouldn't take NO for an answer and took me skiing. I've been a NSP patroller now for a few years and am so glad I was recruited back into the sport. If your friend has the physical ability to bike encourage him to do it. He has everything to gain.