Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting past a mug of hot chocolate

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-26-07, 09:39 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This afternoon, at about 4:30 PM, I was preparing to leave for my Monday evening ride. The ride starts at 5:30, which means it is ridden completely in the dark. The temperature was hovering in the 40 degree range with overcast skies. The trails and roads are wet from the rain of the past two days.

I was in the kitchen filling my water bottle when I noticed my favorite mug that I use for hot chocolate, which is best with some whipped cream. It was natural that I started thinking about filling that mug and moving to my favorite chair in front of the TV. I would then pet the dog a little and start a movie or a ball game before taking a little nap.

I then pushed the curtains back to peer out one more time. The dark overcast skies were still there. The thermometer just outside the window continued to read 40 degrees. It dawned on me that I did not really need to ride at night in this type weather.

It was right there in front of me. I could stay home in the warm dry confines of my home.

As I started putting the water bottle away I saw the paddle standing in the corner. I had used that paddle this afternoon to move a small boat to the launch so that the engine could be repaired. I had paddled that boat about a quarter mile against the wind just a hour ago. Last year I did something very sinilar, but about half the distance. Last year I had to quit paddling a number of times because I was out of breath. An hour ago I paddled the entire distance with no need at all for a break. What caused this differnce in just one year? Of course the difference was due to my decision to start riding a bike.

I completed filling the bottle and got dressed. The ride went well.

Does anyone else ever get tempted to stay home?
Old 11-26-07, 09:42 PM
Pajaro
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bleak, gray, and dreary weather is the toughest obstacle to overcome.
A bright and sunny day will almost guarantee a great ride, regardless of outdoor temperature.
Old 11-26-07, 09:47 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post

Oh yeah! And these last few years, it has become easier and easier to stay home.
Old 11-27-07, 05:35 AM
detrieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just this morning as a matter of fact. Yesterday I got up at 4 AM and went for a short ride because it was the opening day of deer gun season. Not a safe day to be riding during the day. It was rainy and cool 39 degrees when I started. Was going to do the same thing this morning but just could not bring myself to do it. Will take the day off the bike at least. Deer gun season goes for the whole week. Will see if I can bring myself to ride in the morning.
Old 11-27-07, 08:38 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This afternoon, at about 4:30 PM, I was preparing to leave for my Monday evening ride. The ride starts at 5:30, which means it is ridden completely in the dark. The temperature was hovering in the 40 degree range with overcast skies. The trails and roads are wet from the rain of the past two days.

I was in the kitchen filling my water bottle when I noticed my favorite mug that I use for hot chocolate, which is best with some whipped cream. It was natural that I started thinking about filling that mug and moving to my favorite chair in front of the TV. I would then pet the dog a little and start a movie or a ball game before taking a little nap.

I then pushed the curtains back to peer out one more time. The dark overcast skies were still there. The thermometer just outside the window continued to read 40 degrees. It dawned on me that I did not really need to ride at night in this type weather.

It was right there in front of me. I could stay home in the warm dry confines of my home.

As I started putting the water bottle away I saw the paddle standing in the corner. I had used that paddle this afternoon to move a small boat to the launch so that the engine could be repaired. I had paddled that boat about a quarter mile against the wind just a hour ago. Last year I did something very sinilar, but about half the distance. Last year I had to quit paddling a number of times because I was out of breath. An hour ago I paddled the entire distance with no need at all for a break. What caused this differnce in just one year? Of course the difference was due to my decision to start riding a bike.

I completed filling the bottle and got dressed. The ride went well.

All the time. And for a number of reasons.

One reason is my history of indolence. (Beverly knows about this from alt-support.diet - she's read my posts there.) When you get to be 385 pounds, certain habits become ingrained. One such habit is laziness. Obesity sucks the energy out of you. You get used to NOT doing things, and this includes exercise. And even though I've lost 140 pounds, I'm still often sluggish. And at 240-260 I'm still obese, so I still have padding to weigh me down.

Another is the shortened day. Less daylight, a grayer, colder, more dismal morning - reasons to go back to bed. I work second shift, so getting up early in the morning is hard for me anyway.

Also, I'm suffering from having met my cycling goal. I didn't know how to ride a bike in December 2006. I never rode as a child. And I finished my first century in September, and my first tour a week afterwards. I've been floundering for a goal ever since. I've picked a cross country ride as the next logical goal, but I'm having trouble keeping motivated.

And finally, at the risk of being called whiny, I have some structural problems that flare up from time to time. My knocked knees creak in cold, wet weather. My scoliosis gives me back pain on occasion.

Thanks for posting this thread. I didn't ride today. I feel better for talking about it, even if I didn't get any exercise.

Old 11-27-07, 09:32 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess we all have times when our motivation is lacking. But I'm always amazed that, no matter how much I wasn't into the ride when I started, I will be before I've ridden very far. So, that's what I tell myself when I'm tempted to not ride: "You know you'll be enjoying the ride and glad you did it, so make yourself get started".
Old 11-27-07, 11:31 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good input Bud!

I tell myself pretty much the same thing when I'm on the fence regarding riding/not riding on a given day. Also, I've found it helpful to change into my cycling shorts. For some reason (silly as it sounds) that simple act is a form of committment.

Everything else just follows pretty much effortlessly once I have my cycling shorts on! It's as if the little metaphorical devil on my shoulder says, "Okay, I give up. The guy's got his cycling shorts on . . . he's going for a ride no matter what I say!"

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-27-07, 02:10 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a riding partner who always used to arrange the rides. You turned up at his house at the allotted time and you went riding. He had a clever skill though and he knew when people did not want to ride. If this occured-we would meet at the sluggards house. No choice as you were going on the ride. It did not matter how much you did not feel like riding- within 5 minutes and you were up for a decent ride. Only on one occasion did a ride get aborted and that was when 15 minutes in- the weather got a lot colder and it rained Ice. None of us fancied it so we did turn round and go home- but we did start the ride.

I now ride solo and although I have to be a bit carefull and be flexible on the rides- I look at the Weather forecast and if it looks bad for a Sunday ride- I go Saturday. Same on the mid weekers. Get home late from work and I can go tomorrow.

But the main point is- Nothing to stop me going on a ride except myself. Sunday is ride day and all my family know it. Get up with the sun- Look at the sky- walk down to the bike shed and see what clothing to put on. Fatal thing for me to do is leave the bike in the shed. Bring it up to the house and that is it. No matter how cold I feel- How wet I am going to get or how I just don't fancy riding- Once that bike is ready to Go- I am going.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-27-07, 02:15 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've described a version of the daily "battle" I have between late October (when Daylight Savings Time kicks in) until mid March. I dislike dark, cold, windy days and nights. Much like you, it is the remembrance of how things were before I started riding again that get me out the door. Usually, I return home with the same feeling.... "the ride went well." Often, I return with a smug sense of, "I'll be damned if I'll let winter grind me down."
Old 11-27-07, 02:34 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's easy to head on out to the shop and do a few chores. Especially when it is dark and Lovey frets when I ride at night.
Old 11-27-07, 02:38 PM
bentnail
Been around

Bikes: Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can relate!!! I commuted to work yesterday morning. It was cold, 18d, 10mph wind, 5 dark 30 am, wasn't feeling great but I made it to work.

Came out of work to go home and I started out into the wind, and cold, and got to thinking (my thinking got to me) I could just jump on light rail
and it would drop me off 1/4 of a mile from my house. No 1hr ride in the cold, no wind, no fuss.

SO I DID !!

Don't feel bad, matter of fact I decided to go to the gym and set in the sauna. NICE

There comes a time when enough is enough and not going once isn't going to ruin you. Matter fact it will make you better.
Anyways thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by bentnail; 11-27-07 at 02:44 PM. Reason: more information
Old 11-27-07, 05:40 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Twice every week at 4 A.M. on my way in to work I have to talk myself
out of driving. Been successful all month, hoping to be successful in
December also. It's much easier to ride in on my night shifts.