Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek 730: Official Neighborhood Bike Tires

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-27-07, 11:47 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

... year-round. Perhaps it'll get stolen and give me a reason to get a Gunnar Cross-Check. Until then, minimum security for the bike, to ride around in winter and any type of bad weather.

I currently have 32 mm Panaracer (Pasala, I believe) tires, and they're fine for dry roads. I'm putting some fenders on the Trek, to see if I like them, to make the Trek a better bad weather bike. The SKS fenders are the larger of two sizes for 700C wheels, to accommodate tires that are 35 mm or wider.

Any recommendations on general purpose, year-round, Michigan tires? For the most part, it will be my bad weather bike, so it would be nice to have tires wide enough for paved sidewalks in winter, but not too wide to also be a good rain tire in the summer. Any recommendations, to include recommended width, for tires to do gopher runs around the neighborhood year round?
Old 11-27-07, 11:54 AM
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
... year-round. Perhaps it'll get stolen and give me a reason to get a Gunnar Cross-Check. Until then, minimum security for the bike, to ride around in winter and any type of bad weather.

I currently have 32 mm Panaracer (Pasala, I believe) tires, and they're fine for dry roads. I'm putting some fenders on the Trek, to see if I like them, to make the Trek a better bad weather bike. The SKS fenders are the larger of two sizes for 700C wheels, to accommodate tires that are 35 mm or wider.

Any recommendations on general purpose, year-round, Michigan tires? For the most part, it will be my bad weather bike, so it would be nice to have tires wide enough for paved sidewalks in winter, but not too wide to also be a good rain tire in the summer. Any recommendations, to include recommended width, for tires to do gopher runs around the neighborhood year round?
Trek 730 MultiTrack?...I thought mine was the last one on the roads

I like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus for city use (700x38c)..a wide, heavy tire with a puncture resistant lining...a bit pricy but lasts 10X longer than a cheap tire
Old 11-27-07, 12:24 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will check out the Schalbe and whatever the others recommend. I got the MultiTrack in 1995, rode it a couple of years, and mothballed it for ten years. Like a brand new bike with I'd say less than 500 miles total. It will make a great winter bike.
Old 11-28-07, 06:12 AM
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will check out the Schalbe and whatever the others recommend. I got the MultiTrack in 1995, rode it a couple of years, and mothballed it for ten years. Like a brand new bike with I'd say less than 500 miles total. It will make a great winter bike.
hang on to it...that cromolly frame is bombproof...one of the best U.S. made frames that Trek ever made

It's a collectors item up here, many convert them into single speed cross cycles for XC racing

Shame to expose it to snow, though...those Ancera X (still one of the best hubs around) components rust up quickly

Nice Bike
Old 11-28-07, 06:16 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
If the Paselas still have good tread, I don't see why you'd need to change them. But then, I don't live in Michigan.
Old 11-28-07, 12:00 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note to self: Carry extra locks if taking Trek MultiTrek on the Canadian side of the Blue Water Ramble ... just in case jm01 is scouting for cromoly frames.

I'll have to agree with BD about the Panaracer Paselas. The Trek currently has 32 mm Pasela Tour Guards, with some miles on them. I asked my LBS to buy some 35 mm Pasela Tour Guards. I did notice a number of tour bikes on the internet, using the 700x35C Pasela Tour Guard tires.
Old 11-28-07, 06:40 PM
rfred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jm01 View Post
Trek 730 MultiTrack?...I thought mine was the last one on the roads
Nope, I've got one of those bad boys too! Most days I'm riding the Trek 1500, but for retched conditions I get back on the 730. This spring I'll probably give it the overhaul it's needed for the past few years...
Old 11-28-07, 07:09 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see Trek 730's in campus bike racks from time to time.

This one is for sale not far from me:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/491894393.html
Old 11-28-07, 09:07 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this talk about the MultiTrack got me curious, so I looked & found my original tires that came with the 1995 Trek 730: "Trek Invert 2" ... 60-80 PSI ... 700 x 38C. Still good enough to ride on, because they were stored in a cool dry basement.

The Invert 2 actually has nice width & tread for winter commuting, and are very light for 38C tires. But the lightness is because they are not belt-lined, such as Panaracer's kevlar belt. I vaguely remember them grabbing the snow pretty good, but the Panaracer Paselas will be more flat-proof.

Panaracer makes their Paselas in a 700 x 37C ... but I couldn't find a source to buy this width ... so I went with the 35 mm width. The 35 mm should be a fairly flat-resistant, all-year compromise of a tire, for the official bad weather Michigan bike.
Old 11-28-07, 09:42 PM
Bill Kapaun

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
"...but not too wide to also be a good rain tire in the summer"

Hydroplaning just doesn't happen on a bike unless you ride it off the end of a dock!
Old 11-28-07, 10:27 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I did notice a number of tour bikes on the internet, using the 700x35C Pasela Tour Guard tires.
I'm running those on my old Fuji, Uncle Duke. They aren't the lightest tires on earth (by far), but they roll smoothly, have a good footprint and man do they ever soak up the bumps when I run them with lower pressure!