Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Well I finally did it

Old 11-27-07, 01:25 PM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well I finally did it

I drove into the garage with my 2004 Trek 2300 on the car roof. Not a pleasant noise and not a pretty sight.
The air was blue for a few moments. Obvious damage: bent carbon forks at the crown/steerer, smashed Ultegra brifters. I don't normally carry the bike on the roof but I had left the rack on after a recent trip to GA, so used it this morning to get to the Tuesday morning ride. I probably won't do that again. Now to assess the total damage.........
Old 11-27-07, 01:28 PM
AuntieM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no! That hurts to think about.
Old 11-27-07, 01:29 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10760 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Sorry to say this.....look for an ovalized head tube from the for/aft twisting load from the fork. This will result in the total writeoff of the frame.

There was an article in Velo News a while back in the legally speaking section that addressed the liability issue as to whether your auto insurance or you home owners insurance or neither will cover this.
Old 11-27-07, 01:47 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch
Old 11-27-07, 02:04 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to get one of those hotel "Do Not Disturb Signs" paint it red and write "Bikes on Roof" and hang it around your rear view mirror. It works for a friend of mine.

2013 Noah RS
Old 11-27-07, 02:37 PM
tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know many people with roof racks and garages that haven't done the same. I have a friend who doesn't have a garage but got called into work on the the weekend and destroyed his 1 month old bike.

Hang a couple strips of the plastic "crime scene" tape off the bottom of the door so it hangs onto the windshield in your face when the door opens. If there's no bike, just drive in and the tape goes over the rack with no problem. When the door's closed the tape is too thin to create a gap under the door and the tape won't be damaged by water/snow/ice. A single roll from a hardware store will probably be usable for a litetime.
Old 11-27-07, 02:46 PM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch!

I did this a few years ago with a cheap mtn bike. No real harm done, but did bend the roof rack a bit.

What worked for me to prevent me from doing this again was to put the garage door opener in the back seat whenever I put the bike on the roof. I couldn't drive in until I found the opener and when I found it in the back seat, I knew I should not drive into the garage. If you have an opener that is part of the car, you might consider putting tape over it or somehow diabling it when you put the bike on the rack.

I have a new car since that accident and keep the bike in the back of the car now.

Ted
Old 11-27-07, 02:50 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel for you.

I know the only reason why I've never done the same thing is because I don't have a roof rack.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-27-07, 02:52 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
I drove into the garage with my 2004 Trek 2300 on the car roof. Not a pleasant noise and not a pretty sight.
I'm happy to report that I've NEVER done that ......... oh yeah, I don't have a garage. Anywho, sorry to hear of your problem. That must have been a very ugly moment, and a horrid sound.

We will need pictures to validate your story though.

... Brad
Old 11-27-07, 03:13 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never done that either... mainly because I don't have a roof rack, a car, or a garage.
Old 11-27-07, 05:07 PM
luv2cruz

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only carry my bikes in the back of my truck, or on a hitch mount rack on the rear. Only have to worry about backing into something. Got a homebuilt 1.25" receiver hitch on the Miata, and a 2" receiver on the Yukon, hitch converts to either size.

Some folks will do ANYTHING to have to buy a new bike!!

Seriously, that really sux....
Old 11-27-07, 05:33 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch. OUCH. OUCH!

Man I feel for you. I've always worried about doing this myself which is why I only use the roof mounts when forced to (that and I don't have to muck around pulling wheels on the rear mount - okay, I'm lazy). Mind you, I did come home from a trip once to find leaves stuck in the handle bars The gum tree by my driveway has a very low branch and to clear that with a bike on the roof, I have to drive right on the edge the drive - I'll get that wrong one day, you watch.

Question - did you damage the roof of the car? This is something I've always wondered about during my catastrophising sessions.

One solution to it I've heard, came from a bloke on an aussie forum. He had one of those orange flags and drilled a hole in the shed door post. When he had a bike on the roof, he put the flag in that hole so that it poked across in front of him - he couldn't get into the shed with the flag in place. So he never had to worry about driving in with the bike on the roof ... but he used to worry about forgetting to put the flag in place

A similar story came through on my woodies forum. This bloke's wife know nothing about woodwork, but loved the pleasure it gave her husband. Hubby had been talking for months about needing a bandsaw, but they couldn't afford one. With his birthday coming up, she scraped some money together, had a quiet chat with some of his mates, and bought the exact bandsaw he wanted. While he was at work on his birthday, she borrowed another mate's ute (pickup to you lot), collected the bandsaw and drove home. As she came in the driveway, it started to rain so, not wanting to get the new bandsaw wet, she drove into the garage. BANG. New bandsaw bent. Roller door on garage damaged. New brickwork needed on garage. Mate's ute with scratches and dents from falling bricks. One husband even more deeply in love with his darling wife (soppy bugger ).

Richard
Old 11-27-07, 06:25 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OUCH!

That hurts.

If you have a garage door opener, put it in the bike's wedge. That way you can't open the garage door without taking down the bike.

Of course, that doesn't do much good at the local drive through.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-27-07 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 06:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
My garage only holds bikes... problem solved.
Old 11-27-07, 07:39 PM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I feel for you.

I know the only reason why I've never done the same thing is because I don't have a roof rack.
I never use the roof rack when I'm at home, as I carry the bike in the car. The rack is normally not fitted but I'd left it on after a trip, so used it. We carry our tandem on a roof rack but we always say to each other "don't go into the garage." Today my wife wasn't with me.

The damage as far as I can ascertain after removing the fork is:
bent steerer, broken crown race, broken Ultegra shifter caps/labels. I don't think the head tube is ovalled as the race popped out, but I'll look more closely - just checked and it's OK
The Yakima rack was pushed back on the car's (Volvo wagon) roof runners, which are grazed but no damage to the car.
There's a gouge in the garage arch of course.
I've already sourced the race and brifter caps, so now I have to see the Trek LBS for the fork.
Aaahhhh, it's only money Good thing I've got a couple other bikes.
Old 11-27-07, 07:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Just terrible. I can only imagine how you felt immediately after hearing the crunching sound.
Old 11-27-07, 07:56 PM
Spokes man

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I KNOW I'm not going to get a roof rack . . .

Ouchhhhhhh
Old 11-27-07, 08:13 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10760 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Then there is the awful sound and feel of being propelled into the center of an intersection by the non stopping car behind while sitting at a traffic light. Then the relief of remembering that the bike rack on the back of the car is empty because you on the way to pick up your wifes new bike.

I've had 2 hitch racks crashed off the back of my car in 2 years.....both empty. I think I'm running out of luck.

At least with the roof rack fate is in your own hands.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 11-27-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 08:28 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there...done that...damnit.

I don't carry bikes on the roof any longer, but if you need to do that...hide the %$#@! garage door opener before you take off.
Old 11-27-07, 08:51 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expensive and frustrating. To say the least. Lots of empathy from fellow posters. I wonder if, per capita, this happens more often to us FiftyPlus types-- for obvious reasons.
Old 11-27-07, 08:58 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
Expensive and frustrating. To say the least. Lots of empathy from fellow posters. I wonder if, per capita, this happens more often to us FiftyPlus types-- for obvious reasons.
I doubt it...I think the problem is that when you get back to your garage, you're typically tired (from your trip and/or your bike ride). And, you're just so used to hitting that garage door opener and driving right in without even thinking about it.
Old 11-27-07, 08:59 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least it's not as bad as the distracted executroids that drive off with their baby sitting on the roof.
Old 11-27-07, 09:09 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch!

OUCH!

I only carry my bike in a truck rack in the bed of my pickup. Unless of course I have to carry it on a trunk rack on my Mazda Miata, then all bets are off!

Sorry to hear of your ooops! I like the "Bikes on Roof" mirror hanger idea.

Ride on!
-Spoke

Last edited by Spoke; 11-30-07 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 04:17 AM
Artmo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
Been there...done that...damnit.

I don't carry bikes on the roof any longer, but if you need to do that...hide the %$#@! garage door opener before you take off.
That's a good idea, but it's built into the sun visor in the Volvo. I suppose I could rip off the visor and throw it in the back seat
Old 11-28-07, 04:22 AM
Artmo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP View Post
I doubt it...I think the problem is that when you get back to your garage, you're typically tired (from your trip and/or your bike ride). And, you're just so used to hitting that garage door opener and driving right in without even thinking about it.

As I entered our sub-didvision I was thinking "Don't drive into the garage," but I then got to thinking about something else and........crunch. Fortunately, I was going very slowly, but enough to do damage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.