Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting my son to ride

Old 11-28-07, 12:03 PM
miderno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting my son to ride

Hi all. It's starting to snow here in Michigan and it's time to start breakin out the rollers. I just turned 50 two months ago and I've been told to slow down and take it easy....yah right!
I'm trying to get my son into riding. He's twenty five and has a Lemond, but it sits in the corner most of the time.
I was wondering if anyone else had ways of getting thier loved ones to ride with them.
Now don't get me wrong, my son and I love to sit back on a Sunday and watch Belgian races and drink belgian beer, but lately that's about as close as he has gotten to getting back on his bike.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-07, 12:18 PM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try combining a ride with something else that he enjoys. Stop for a brew, or go someplace that is of interest to him. I have found that just pushing an activity (any activity) on my sons makes them less likely to do it.

Also, what are the rides like that you have taken with your son? Are they total burnout workouts where he is exhausted and really doesn't enjoy it? Are you at a higher level of fitness than your son? I have ridden with another guy where all rides were struggles for me and I grew to dread riding with him. It's good to do all-out rides once or twice a week, but if they are every ride, it gets to be a chore for me. If your son feels like he can not keep up with you, it won't be any fun for him.

Ted
Old 11-28-07, 12:20 PM
miderno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ted. Yeah, I don't want to beat him over the head with his bike....or maybe I do, but that's another tale for another time. I'm thinking I will try a beer run bike stop...see how that goes for both of us!
Old 11-28-07, 12:36 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you are over 50 and been told to slow down- Surely you need a riding partner to make certain you are not overdoing it? Or someone to pace yourself against to see if your training programme is working?

Only way I would get my family out riding with me would be to get them drunk or Bribe them-and I can't afford that much beer or that much money.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-07, 02:38 PM
kk4df

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miderno View Post
Hi Ted. Yeah, I don't want to beat him over the head with his bike....or maybe I do, but that's another tale for another time. I'm thinking I will try a beer run bike stop...see how that goes for both of us!
My 14 year old son goes riding with me, but only when it pleases him. He enjoys the long rides away from home (centuries, the week-long Bike Ride Across Georgia, etc.). For some of the shorter rides, I can encourage him by treating him to a coke or a hamburger after the ride. Sounds like for you and your son, a beer might be a good ending goal.
Old 11-28-07, 04:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm trying to get my son into riding. He's twenty five and has a Lemond, but it sits in the corner most of the time.

Any thoughts?
What size is that Lemond?

Tell him you are going to send it to me if he doesn't ride, and then send it to me if he still doesn't. Is it about 55cm?
Old 11-28-07, 04:08 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my granddaughters weren't quite old enough for a beer run but they loved riding when we had a destination they enjoyed....an amusement park, farmers market, ice cream store, etc.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-28-07, 04:10 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
What size is that Lemond?

Tell him you are going to send it to me if he doesn't ride, and then send it to me if he still doesn't. Is it about 55cm?
Beat me to it, but I will volunteer to be the bad guy if it is 56-57 cm.

I would also add a vote for the above comments on finding something to combine with the cycling. Either a specific stop as mentioned, or a trip to a particularly nice place to ride.
Old 11-28-07, 04:25 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any thoughts?
I like simple no pressure invitations.
Old 11-28-07, 08:45 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll have to pardon me here as I really don't understand the muck you call weather at this time of year.

I read lots of posts about how it's too snowy to ride.

Here's a bloke who announces that it's started to snow and to celebrate, he's trying to get his son to start riding.

Does anyone else think I'm missing some connection?

Richard
Old 11-29-07, 11:48 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else had ways of getting thier loved ones to ride with them.
Now don't get me wrong, my son and I love to sit back on a Sunday and watch Belgian races and drink belgian beer, but lately that's about as close as he has gotten to getting back on his bike.

Any thoughts?
Time to plan and take a bicycle tour of Belgium. You can pedal from track to track. And the trip will give him a reason to train. Your wife will love Belgian chocolate.
Old 11-29-07, 11:55 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea same problem

Spent more than $1500.00 on my son new bike complete outfit everything.

He rode the bike probably about 60 miles total.

It hung upside down inthe garage for a year. I am now selling it through a bike shop too try and recoup some of my loss.

He said he enjoyed it when he did ride and for his weight was quite good but after constantly making excuses and not showing an interest I said to He!! with it
Old 11-29-07, 12:24 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show him pictures of women in lycra.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 11-29-07, 03:13 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
My older son loved to ride with me up until he was 15. We rode BRAG 5 times together and many other rides. Now he is 22 and living in another town. He takes short rides on a beater occasionally, but I gave up long ago trying to plan any rides with him. I hope some day he'll want to ride again. His younger brother is 12 and rides with me all the time. We did a century (his first) together 3 weeks ago. I'm enjoying it while I can but not expecting it to last forever.