Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ancient Chinese Secret for Opening Attached Photos?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-29-07, 08:58 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drat! I'm finding more pictures being sent in the forum, that I can't open. Is there an ancient Chinese secret, or possibly a software program (photoshop?) that I must have to open them? The last example of unaccessible pictures would be those sent below by Red Rider:

One of our local newspapers interviewed me last week, and sent a photographer to get an action shot. The story made the front page of Monday's paper! Whoo-hoo! We're stoked! Gotta love free publicity and better yet, gotta love that people see the worth in advocating cycling and everyday people who cycle.

Old 11-29-07, 09:02 AM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- no linky, no open!

:-)

(you can link to a pic off the 'net or one's own site, but uploads are limited in size to less than 99k IIRC, and thumbnail preview is *broken* for certain types of files using certain browsers [i asked this question in the 'user help' forum but never got an answer from an admin])...
Old 11-29-07, 09:49 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Rider's photos are jpeg format, so I am surprised you can not see them. Perhaps you should try a different browser. I like Firefox, which you can download for free.
Old 11-29-07, 09:53 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If all you see is the dreaded red X in a box you can hover over the red box, right click the mouse, click properties and you should see the address (URL) for the picture. Copy, paste and go after the picture that way.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-29-07, 11:08 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
When I view the site from work, many of the photo hosting sites are blocked so I can't see the pictures until I get home.
Old 11-29-07, 11:48 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
If all you see is the dreaded red X in a box you can hover over the red box, right click the mouse, click properties and you should see the address (URL) for the picture. Copy, paste and go after the picture that way.
Yep, tried that too. Access denied. I can apparently reinforce what BD said, about non-access at work ... possibly because of the facility's Firewall from Hades. That is to say, if I was trying to open those pictures while I was at work ... just sayin'.
Old 11-29-07, 12:13 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
Yep, tried that too. Access denied. I can apparently reinforce what BD said, about non-access at work ... possibly because of the facility's Firewall from Hades. That is to say, if I was trying to open those pictures while I was at work ... just sayin'.
Who would try to access non-work related sites at work My employer not only denies access to certain sites but we get the dreaded "access denied - use some web sense" message flashed at us

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-29-07, 01:38 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10522 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
Drat! I'm finding more pictures being sent in the forum, that I can't open. Is there an ancient Chinese secret, or possibly a software program (photoshop?) that I must have to open them? The last example of unaccessible pictures would be those sent below by Red Rider:

One of our local newspapers interviewed me last week, and sent a photographer to get an action shot. The story made the front page of Monday's paper! Whoo-hoo! We're stoked! Gotta love free publicity and better yet, gotta love that people see the worth in advocating cycling and everyday people who cycle.

Drip water on the picture till it opens up.
Old 11-29-07, 01:49 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jpegs are "embedded" (if that's the right term) into my post. Cgallag saved them to PhotoBucket, and I copied the image link and pasted it into the message. I'll try attaching them as thumbnails when I get back to my laptop.
Old 04-16-14, 03:37 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure hope this all got sorted out.
Old 04-16-14, 03:46 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I'd tell you how to do it, but I'd have to kill you.
Old 04-17-14, 07:15 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I sure hope this all got sorted out.
Did you really mean to resurrect a post from 2007? I won't deny the fact that posting photos sometimes goes strange ... but then I can't say it isn't my ineptitude either. We engineers sometimes over think things and make them more complicated than they need to be.
Old 04-17-14, 07:30 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we're running completely different forum software than in 2007, this thread can go back to zombie land.

Closing.

Forum Guidelines *click here*