Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Highway ride!

Old 11-29-07, 04:36 PM
tntom

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Highway ride!

Today I went to ride a place where I know some folks ride on saterdays. It's a single lane short cut hwy. And I would say on saterday it would be fine but at noon today WOW! Fast traffic big trucks did I say fast. Mayde I am just a fradie-cat but I didn't stay long. I have been hurt bad 2 times on motercycles and I am over having anything to prove. Some saterday I will go back but through the week I will stay on the back roads
Old 11-29-07, 07:00 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't blame you. There are plenty of good back roads and bike paths.
Old 11-30-07, 09:53 AM
dvs cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tntom View Post
Today I went to ride a place where I know some folks ride on saterdays. It's a single lane short cut hwy. And I would say on saterday it would be fine but at noon today WOW! Fast traffic big trucks did I say fast. Mayde I am just a fradie-cat but I didn't stay long. I have been hurt bad 2 times on motercycles and I am over having anything to prove. Some saterday I will go back but through the week I will stay on the back roads
If SATERDAY is bad, maybe SOMEDAY would be better?
Old 11-30-07, 10:06 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, there are some roads around here that I simply will not ride on a bike. We have these 40-wheeled (at least) double-bottom gravel haulers that are too scary for words if they pass you on a two-lane road with soft shoulders. There was one time that I got off the bike and walked it up a hill well off to the side of the road rather than encounter one of those beasts!
Old 11-30-07, 10:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Many cyclists would try to convince the world that roads are built to support all forms of vehicles. I subscribe to the Jungle Theory of Cycling, stay out of the way of the mean beasts, they can eat you. There are too many good roads to insist on the use of every road.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-30-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 02:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Many cyclists would try to convince the world that roads are built to support all forms of vehicles. I subscribe to the Jungle Theory of Cycling, stay out of the way of the mean beasts, they can eat you. There are too many good roads to insist on the use of every road.
Sounds like good advice. Where I live- we have plenty of back roads that do not see many cars. That does cause another problem in that the car users do not expect to see a bike coming round a corner on the wrong side of the road either. I do use a few Main roads to get me from one area to another but there is one road locally that I will not use in anyway at any time. I worry about it in a car so on a bike it is verboten.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-30-07, 03:18 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Some roads are definitely best left alone, but I'll continue to do all I can to make sure that many of the roads in my little corner of the world are designed or modified to be used by more than just cars and trucks. Sometimes you need to do what it takes to keep the mean beasts from becoming quite so mean.