Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cycletherapy (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/366541-cycletherapy.html)

Digital Gee 11-30-07 12:30 AM

Cycletherapy

Well, I am back. Not much has changed in my little corner of the universe, but I'm going to try some cycletherapy and see if that helps. I hardly got to ride in November, whatsoever. I bet I didn't even do 50 miles. Since there's now no way to meet my mileage goals for 2007, I will simply attempt to do one more mile than I did in 2006 and let it go at that.

I want to thank all of you who sent me some words of support, either by PM or in the forum itself. That meant a lot to me.

While I am "back," I'm still not feeling particularly jovial or upbeat, so I doubt I'll be posting very often for now. I mostly wanted to let folks know who might be wondering about me that I'm sort of okay, I guess. I'm out of town at the moment on business, and I hope to get my next ride on Saturday morning. Wonder if I can even do twenty miles? We'll see. I feel pretty rusty.

Red Rider 11-30-07 12:38 AM

Deeg! Cgallag and I were talking about you tonight -- we've missed you. Glad you're back, even if not in full cheer.

As for your ride: If you think you can do 20 miles, you can do 20 miles. The body will go where the mind goes first. I hope you have a great ride and enjoy yourself.

Welcome back!

maddmaxx 11-30-07 03:05 AM

It can be a drag getting that white bike to go in California sunshine...........:)

Beverly 11-30-07 06:26 AM

Good to see you back even if it's only part-time:D

cranky old dude 11-30-07 06:40 AM

Welcome back, you have been missed.

Trsnrtr 11-30-07 06:57 AM

I don't know what your situation is, but as far as cycletherapy goes, I've known several people that were going through rough times in their private life and used the bike as an outlet. It appears to work for many.

Hang in there.

Jet Travis 11-30-07 07:18 AM

Don't be hidin' yourself. That ain't no way to feel better.

George 11-30-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5719013)
Well, I am back. Not much has changed in my little corner of the universe, but I'm going to try some cycletherapy and see if that helps. I hardly got to ride in November, whatsoever. I bet I didn't even do 50 miles. Since there's now no way to meet my mileage goals for 2007, I will simply attempt to do one more mile than I did in 2006 and let it go at that.

I want to thank all of you who sent me some words of support, either by PM or in the forum itself. That meant a lot to me.

While I am "back," I'm still not feeling particularly jovial or upbeat, so I doubt I'll be posting very often for now. I mostly wanted to let folks know who might be wondering about me that I'm sort of okay, I guess. I'm out of town at the moment on business, and I hope to get my next ride on Saturday morning. Wonder if I can even do twenty miles? We'll see. I feel pretty rusty.

:beer: Welcome back Gary, I missed your posting, glad to hear from you again. I'm kind of doing the same as you in the riding department. I've been very busy meeting doctors in the Houston area. I guess my wife had a hole in the heart and they found it and we just got that fixed, besides other things. I have to get my foot operated on again, the first guy screwed up. So that will keep me off the bike for a while. Anyhow take it as it comes and just ride when you feel like it. Happy to see you back.:D

big john 11-30-07 08:44 AM

One thing I like about riding is the way everything else becomes secondary when on the bike. Nothing like a long climb, a hard effort on the flats, or even a nice chat with a riding friend to clear the mind.

Ken Brown 11-30-07 09:20 AM

Glad to see you back. I haven't ridden much in November either, but for a very different reason. It is called cold and snow.

Bud Bent 11-30-07 09:37 AM

Welcome back, Gary. I seem to have some things hanging over me right now, too, and have been distracted. I seem to have found a better distraction, though: BIKE SHOPPING! Maybe you should try it.

Wildwood 11-30-07 09:47 AM

Welcome back. I was riding 250 mi/wk March thru July , then family issues put me in stand-down mode Aug - Nov, 20 mi/wk would be optimistic. Life is a long term endeavor with bumps in the road (at least for me). There is always the possibility of smooth, fresh asphalt in your future. Stick with the bike it can be cathartic at times.

Garfield Cat 11-30-07 10:13 AM

Here's something that might cheer you up, the lyrics from Welcome Back Kotter by John Sebastian

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

wobblyoldgeezer 11-30-07 10:19 AM

Good to hear from you, Gary

Breathe in and breathe out.

howsteepisit 11-30-07 10:37 AM

Glad you are OK DG. I would not worry about even getting at mile more than 2006. You have lots of good years ahead, and when life gives you a curve, you have to go with the pitch. That first ride will be wonderful by the way, after I have been off for a while I notice that the first one is great, then after that I notice that I was off the bike for a while.
Best seasonal wishes to to and yours.

Terrierman 11-30-07 12:38 PM

Glad you are back. Did you happen to run onto any of the Diego's whilst out and about? I still hold out hope, faint though it may be, that on some bright shining day some young and brilliant moderator will see what they really had to offer and will invite them all to return, adding their richness and color to the tapestry of the 50+ forum.

swan652 11-30-07 12:40 PM

Woohoo! He's back!

jisaak 11-30-07 02:00 PM

Chin up Gary, I hope that everything works out for you in the end. Forget the goals, they will always be there but if you get a chance go for a spin. I have found that when life just seems to beat me up there is nothing better than getting lost on the bike.
All the best.
jim

cccorlew 11-30-07 02:11 PM

Yo. Nice to see that 50s jersey icon again.

stapfam 11-30-07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 5719863)
One thing I like about riding is the way everything else becomes secondary when on the bike. Nothing like a long climb, a hard effort on the flats, or even a nice chat with a riding friend to clear the mind.

You don't know DG's riding very well John. Those riding friends keep getting the way of a decent ride. (Bikini Babes on bikes)

Welcome back. Not much has changed

Bents still get the occasional mention. Brooks seem to still be recommended for those that have a bit of butt pain from the new bikes but one bit of success is that white bikes have gone out of favour. No one has bought one in the last few months and those that have thought about the colour- got it disguised with masking tape and spray paint.

robtown 11-30-07 02:33 PM

San Diego was a strangely chilly place when I passed through for my cruise the last two Saturdays. Maybe you need to buy that cool "Ghost" all white recumbent bike.
Push through your malaise to visit with good friends and ride the bike(s). You'll be glad you did.

Spoke 11-30-07 02:50 PM

Welcome back. Yes, cycletherapy does help, it always has. Now get on that bike and ride. Ride on brother! Ride.

-Spoke

Motorad 11-30-07 04:50 PM

Cycletherapy ... Lessee, with a wire-mesh basket on the handlebars, we can make DG carry a couple of car batteries for connecting to the saddle railings. Any time DG thinks of thoughts not approved by the government ... BAM!!!

Clockwork Orange, Baby!!!

Louis 11-30-07 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5722036)
Those riding friends keep getting the way of a decent ride. (Bikini Babes on bikes)

Is it possible that for the past few weeks, DG has been shac...uh.......spending time with one of those babes?

Naaaaaa, not our DG...he's too dedicated to serious cycling and BF50+ for those kind of shenanigans.

At any rate, glad to see you back here, lad. :beer:

Digital Gee 11-30-07 05:17 PM

I'm in the airport in Sacramento getting ready to fly home soon. I just found out San Diego is having a "real" rain storm, just when I was hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow. I swear to God.