Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Presta valves: demonic or Satanic?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Presta valves: Satanic or demonic?
Satanic.
4.63%
Demonic.
9.26%
Neither. Bush's fault, like everything else.
13.89%
None of the above. You're just a klutz.
72.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Presta valves: demonic or Satanic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 10:58 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Presta valves have been around long before Bush was president.

Presta valves were used when Global Cooling was the disaster de media. It's obvious the use of Presta valves not only halted Global Cooling; they're continued use is now causing Global Warming. The only solution is to outlaw not only Presta valves but Shrader valves as well. Having two different valve types has been a disaster and adding a third climate neutral valve design could possibly confuse so many cyclists that bicycles would become useless as no one could figure out how to inflate a tire. The new climate neutral valve design must prevent the use of coal-fired power plants as the source of electrical power for climate neutral gas compressors used to inflate the new climate neutral valves. Special compressors with climate neutral valves chucks can be installed in bike shops ensuring cyclists can only inflate their tires from a climate safe inflation source. A coin slot accepting Susan B. Anthony coins can activate the compressor with the money generated going to purchase carbon credits to offset the damage done to the climate from both Presta and Shrader valves. We can also develop new inflation cylinders that don’t use CO2, a green house gas. The new climate neutral valve ensures no destructive CO2 inflation devices can be used with the new climate neutral valve thus ensuring only climate neutral gasses are used in the new cylinders. Of course a carbon credit surcharge is to be placed on all climate neutral cylinders so carbon credits may be purchased to offset prior climate damage from the use of Presta and Shrader valves. Hand pumps must also be banned. Pumping tires manually causes an increase in heart rate and breathing. This causes excess production of CO2 from the person using the manual pump and it would not be possible to collect Susan B. Anthony coins for purchasing carbon credits to offset the damage already done to the climate.
Old 12-03-07, 11:06 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe Presta valves are metric, while Schrader values are English measurements. Some people have trouble making the conversion. If memory serves, it's 1.452 prestas to the schrader.

See www.bikevalveconversion.net.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-03-07, 11:11 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! What an interesting poll. Up until now I had just assumed that most cyclists used and perferred presta. I ride 3 bikes (1 road, 2 mountain) and each is equipped with presta. I guess schrader is easier to use but I have (and yes I am a dumb woman who doesn't know anything about mechanics etc.) no problem with the valves.

Actually I thought it was really hard to even get bikes anymore that ran schrader unless it was one of the inexpensive brands (like those sold by Wal-Mart etc).

To those that use schrader or prefer schrader - what is the real advantage over presta and to those that use presta, same questions. In other words if Schrader is so much better why do so many wheels now come prepared for presta?

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-03-07, 11:46 AM
Version 7.0

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
The poll didn't attach itself properly with the last post. This query was inspired by me taking two hours and trashing three inner tubes trying to replace one stupid tire on my road bike so I could mount it on my trainer. And then I'm rewarded by the evil Coach Troy.
Were your teeth involved?
Old 12-03-07, 12:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCIpam

Actually I thought it was really hard to even get bikes anymore that ran schrader unless it was one of the inexpensive brands (like those sold by Wal-Mart etc).
I think this is true ... for road bikes. For most other bikes, such as comfort, hybrid, mountain, etc., schrader is much more common than presta.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-03-07, 12:13 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chevy42083
so I can be ultra lazy and use my cigarette lighter powered compressor to easily get to 115
That's how I inflate my tires. I picked up a 12V compressor that was on-sale at Sears for around $12-14. Works like a charm. I also have a 20 year old 120V Black & Decker compressor that I use in the garage. With everything from my cars to lawn mowers to garden tiller to snow blower to all 4 of my bikes being schrader, it makes things very simple.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-03-07, 12:30 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I think this is true ... for road bikes. For most other bikes, such as comfort, hybrid, mountain, etc., schrader is much more common than presta.
High performance MTB rims are Presta.

"A primer for Presta Valves" Because they are misunderstood.

Unlike a Schrader valve a Presta valve does not need a mechanical "push" from the pump nozzel to allow air into the tire. The Presta valve spring is relatively weak, serving just to keep the valve from falling into the tire. Because of this it is not necessary to push the pump nozzel onto a Presta valve with a great deal of force. In fact, this would be the wrong thing to do, leading to bent Presta valve stems and broken valves.

1. Unscrew the lock nut just far enough so that the valve can pass air.

2. Give the valve a push with your finger to "unstick" the seal so a burp of air comes out. This will prevent the need to pump up to a very high pressure before air will go into the valve.

3. Install the pump nozzel just far enough onto the stem so that when the locking lever is actuated, an airtight seal results. Any farther may result in a damaged valve.

4. When you are done pumping and have removed the pump, the locking nut should be screwed down only finger tight. The locking nut does not need to be tight to keep air in the tire, the valve is quite capable of holding air by itself. The locking nut is there to prevent vibration from causing the valve to unseat so that little micro bursts get out.

5. The bulk of damaged presta valves are the result of pump nozzels being pushed on too far or at an angle so that the stem of the valve is bent.

When treated properly, the Presta Valve is a simpler more foolproof way to keep air in a tire than the Schrader valve and that is why it appears on most if not all high performance tire/rim/tube combo's both Road and MTB.
Old 12-03-07, 12:34 PM
Pretend Racer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the "what's the big deal?" camp.

Though I'd agree the presta head on the Wrench force pumps doesn't work very well. A Schrader valve adaptor takes care of that pretty well though (doing some quick math I realize I've spent an aggregate of eight minutes screwing and unscrewing Schrader valve adaptors so far this year...no wonder I seem to have so little time).
Old 12-03-07, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put me firmly in the "it doesn't matter to me, I can get air in either one without any problems" camp. I do like the fully threaded valve stem of the presta as it helps to keep the valve stem (and by extension, the tube) in one place, even when flatted, and also when completing a flat repair. Schraeder valves can get a bit off center when very low or when remounting after a flat. They are also a little bit harder to get fully seated. Overall, I think presta is the superior system. I do normally use an adapter and fill my tires using the compressor out in the shop. Nothing could be easier.
Old 12-03-07, 01:02 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
In my experience, presta valves work just fine. I've never had a problem with them, and I have trouble understanding why you're (the OP) having a problem.

Of all my bikes, only my '57 Hercules 3-Spd. has schrader valves. That's what it came with, and somehow (as DG points out) they seem more "British." That said, the (even older) "Dunlop Valves" are truely British, and would be appropriate for 3-spd. bikes far more elderly than mine.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-03-07, 01:09 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a case of Pilot Error.
Old 12-03-07, 01:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Schraeder for the MTB's and presta on the Road ones. Except for the Slicks on the Tandem that is an MTB but Presta's when slicks used.

Always thought that Presta's were for high pressure and Schraeders for up to around 80psi. My problem is that it doesn't matter what I have fitted- It still takes a long time to pump them up to pressure with a bike pump on the trail or road.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-03-07, 01:59 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Sounds like a case of Pilot Error.
You mean pilot air ?
Old 12-03-07, 02:19 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone remember the old Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, where Calvin was always being attacked by otherwise inanimate objects like his plate of vegetables? That describes the relationship between me and Presta valves. Those of you who sound non-plussed by all of this have obviously never had to fight for your life to fend off an angry inner tube with a Presta valve. It's not a pretty sight, I'll tell you what.

Whenever I use a CO2 cartridge, in order to remain carbon neutral I hold my breath for at least 2 minutes. I'm trying to go for long periods of time without breathing at all because Algore tells me that we all need to reduce our CO2 production to zero.

The real probem is that I was trying to install a cheap Continental tire. The tire is a piece of crap that did not want to go onto the rim. Then when I attached the floor pump to the valve I just couldn't force air into the inner tube. I switched over to a CO2 cartridge that inflated so abruptly that I pinched the tube twice. Then I got frustrated and willfully destroyed the third inner tube and the stinking Presta valve. That didn't make me feel any better.

I finally went into meditation, became one with the sole surviving Presta valve and the floor pump and managed to get it properly inflated. Total time was about two hours. I know that was pitiful.

Last edited by The Weak Link; 12-03-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 02:31 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
It's not a pretty picture you paint. WL laying on the floor with 3 angry flatted presta tubes wrapped around rubber band style. Do you have snakebites on your ankles.
Old 12-03-07, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCIpam

A few seconds with a 21/64" drill bit, fixes that "problem".

Schraders are more durable than Prestas, 27" tubes with Schrader valves can be found anyhwere in America, and if needed you can use a Presta in a rim drilled for Schrader but you can't use a Schrader in a rim drilled for Presta.
Old 12-03-07, 02:40 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't like Presta, either. I always get hung up while trying to disengage the pump. I'm always afraid I'm going to bend it.

And, by the way, Wisconsin winters may be French, but Minnesota winters are... um.... American? Canadian? Who's the opposite of French nowadays?
Old 12-03-07, 03:22 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Anyone remember the old Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, where Calvin was always being attacked by otherwise inanimate objects like his plate of vegetables? That describes the relationship between me and Presta valves. Those of you who sound non-plussed by all of this have obviously never had to fight for your life to fend off an angry inner tube with a Presta valve. It's not a pretty sight, I'll tell you what.
In the interest of full disclosure, do you advise your patients that you lack basic mechanical skills?
Old 12-03-07, 03:33 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Those of you who sound non-plussed by all of this have obviously never had to fight for your life to fend off an angry inner tube with a Presta valve.
Can one feel plussed?

Then again, can a crowd be ruly?

Can someone you're dating be kempt?

Can an employee be gruntled?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-03-07, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Presta's just fine. I do use a floor pump with a hose - I could see that, with a typical frame pump, one could, if not careful, rip the stem from the tube. I'm not sure, however, that the same wouldn't be almost as likely to happen with Schraeders.

The one thing I have noticed about Presta's is that the little black rubber caps that screw on last after the tube is inflated seem to crack very easily. I've actually been thinking about buying another Schraeder adapter and keeping one on each wheel with a Schraeder cap permanently screwed on.
Old 12-03-07, 03:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
High performance MTB rims are Presta.

"A primer for Presta Valves" Because they are misunderstood.

Unlike a Schrader valve a Presta valve does not need a mechanical "push" from the pump nozzel to allow air into the tire. The Presta valve spring is relatively weak, serving just to keep the valve from falling into the tire. Because of this it is not necessary to push the pump nozzel onto a Presta valve with a great deal of force. In fact, this would be the wrong thing to do, leading to bent Presta valve stems and broken valves.

1. Unscrew the lock nut just far enough so that the valve can pass air.

2. Give the valve a push with your finger to "unstick" the seal so a burp of air comes out. This will prevent the need to pump up to a very high pressure before air will go into the valve.

3. Install the pump nozzel just far enough onto the stem so that when the locking lever is actuated, an airtight seal results. Any farther may result in a damaged valve.

4. When you are done pumping and have removed the pump, the locking nut should be screwed down only finger tight. The locking nut does not need to be tight to keep air in the tire, the valve is quite capable of holding air by itself. The locking nut is there to prevent vibration from causing the valve to unseat so that little micro bursts get out.

5. The bulk of damaged presta valves are the result of pump nozzels being pushed on too far or at an angle so that the stem of the valve is bent.

When treated properly, the Presta Valve is a simpler more foolproof way to keep air in a tire than the Schrader valve and that is why it appears on most if not all high performance tire/rim/tube combo's both Road and MTB.
Thank you! I appreciate the explanation. I guess I'm guilty of pushing the nozzle on too far, as I notice my Presta valve stems are bent a little. No problems so far, though.
Old 12-03-07, 03:44 PM
Version 7.0

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Forget about anything mechanical...stick to riding and get one of these to follow you around. Hopefully, you do not have to use anything sharp around humans.

Old 12-03-07, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
My bike came with Prestas, so I am a Presta guy, but not by choice. On the other hand, as long as the little brass adapter doesn't get lost, they are only a little bit more hassle than Schroeder valves.

I'm not convinced of Presta superiority. If they are so good, why don't cars and aircraft use them?

Paul
Old 12-03-07, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
My bike came with Prestas, so I am a Presta guy, but not by choice. On the other hand, as long as the little brass adapter doesn't get lost, they are only a little bit more hassle than Schroeder valves.

I'm not convinced of Presta superiority. If they are so good, why don't cars and aircraft use them?

Paul
Because engineers are involved.
Old 12-03-07, 04:28 PM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[3. Install the pump nozzel just far enough onto the stem so that when the locking lever is actuated, an airtight seal results. Any farther may result in a damaged valve.]

I never bent a valve, but before I discovered this I actually pulled a couple of valves right out of the tube while trying to disengage the pump.

While both do the job, I actually prefer Presta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.