Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

new rider- LBS-price negotiation-?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 05:14 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a new rider, my question is regarding the prices of bikes and accessories at a LBS. I plan on buying about a $500 bike Trek fx7.3 and over $100 of accessories. Is there a normal discount on the accessories? What is reasonable to ask for? Thanks-my previous purchases were of the Sports Authority on sale variety-so this is new to me
Old 12-04-07, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mark-up on cycling products is generally not very high. And, $600 is not that much in the world of bike purchases. If it were me, I would research the prices at other places and on-line. If your LBS prices are within reason, I wouldn't ask for any discount.
Old 12-04-07, 05:49 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The LBS may not have the latitude to price cut very much. They are in many cases a small local business trying to put food on the table.

Over the last few years I have noticed a disturbing trend. Small local shops are being replaced by larger chains with more buying power and leverage on the manufacturer. This unfortunately does not seem to include the same level of personal service to the consumer. This trend does not just encompass bike shops, but hobby shops, drugstores, banks auto dealerships.......get the picture.

And we did it to ourselves. When is the last time that you went to a local lumberyard to buy a straight piece of wood for 3 times the price of Home Depot or Lowes?

There will come a day that you won't be able to negotiate with the LBS about price, they'll be gone and you will be hoping that the frame geometry spec sheet on that internet bike tells you all that you need to know to get fit properly.

Sorry, got to leave this post now..............its time to go shop for my new saddle at Pricepoint.com.........see, we all do it.
Old 12-04-07, 05:52 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A good LBS will save you much more in adjustments and advice than the few dollars you can save online. This is especially true for new riders.
Old 12-04-07, 07:14 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have stated, your LBS might not be able to cut the prices too much and remain in business. My LBS offers a 10% discount to cycling club members on parts and repairs. Their service and advice has been great and I'm sure I wouldn't get anything near this at one of the big box places. Many small repairs have been free....straightening of shifters after accident, install new cassette, change pedals I couldn't get off, etc.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-04-07, 07:54 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alentric
As a new rider, my question is regarding the prices of bikes and accessories at a LBS. I plan on buying about a $500 bike Trek fx7.3 and over $100 of accessories. Is there a normal discount on the accessories? What is reasonable to ask for? Thanks-my previous purchases were of the Sports Authority on sale variety-so this is new to me
I support several stores and always negotiate the price...I've found that buying off season and at the end of the month results in the better deals.

Recent examples...my FS XC bike was ticketed at $5999.00, I paid $3449.00. My new flat bar roadie was ticketed at $899.99, I paid $574.00. My daughter's FS XC bike was ticketed at $2899.00, I paid $1699.00...and many more...We have about 16 bikes between us, all of which were bought at a discount
Old 12-04-07, 09:29 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Around here, off-season and previous year models always get an automatic discount. You don't even have to ask or wait for a "sale". In-season for current model years you'll get a polite but firm "No" if you ask for a discount. It may be different at the ultra high-end, but that's the case for low to mid-range bikes.

However, all the dealers give a 10% discount on accessories for 30 days after a bike purchase. And they all honor local bike club membership cards for discounts of 10-15% on repairs, clothes and accessories.

And they all offer free tweaks and tune-ups--some for only a year, others for lifetime.
Old 12-04-07, 11:21 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seeing as how 25% of all LBS in the USA have closed in the last 5 years, it isn't likely they have much room to negotiate. That said, three of my local Trek dealers routinely discount by 10%.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-04-07, 11:27 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Seeing as how 25% of all LBS in the USA have closed in the last 5 years, it isn't likely they have much room to negotiate. That said, three of my local Trek dealers routinely discount by 10%.
Major problem over here aswell but the amount I spend at my LBS- no need to ask for a discount- it is there automatically

Back to the OP- $500 bike is not a great deal but look for the 07 models at a discounted price. I would expect that If I were in your situation- a couple of sweeteners would not go amiss as freebies on the new bike. Water bottle and cage or a wedge with tube repair kit and levers-but not a pump- A freeby pump will be cheap and you do need a good pump.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-04-07, 11:42 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Here is how I see the LBS thing. Ideally, what you have with your LBS is more a relationship than a series of transactions. Once they know you and have a feeling that you will be a repeat customer, you can expect discounts on most thing you buy and sometimes free or discounted minor service. I have been shopping at my LBS for years and they will let me know if they have room to discount something or not.

As a new customer, there is nothing wrong with asking for a discount, either on the bike or the accessories. But I would not suggest a hard-nosed bargaining approach.
Old 12-04-07, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on Bluesdogs comments
Old 12-04-07, 01:19 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My belief, it doesn't hurt to ask. Generally what I would say is "so if I buy this helmet and these water bottle cages, is there any discount?" Sometimes the shop owner, if he know you are a new customer and might be coming back will give you a 10 - 15% discount off your purchase or he may throw in the cages (if they are the inexpensive ones).

Bottom line, the higher the price of things the bigger the discount. If your entire purchase is $600, $40 - 60 off the bottom line amount would be extremely generous. Now if you were buying a $3,000 bike things maybe different.

Also in the "olden" days shops had more leeway with discounts on bikes. Now manufacturers will pull their products from stores if the shops discount the price too much. There's really only a few manufacturers nowadays and they totally controll the price.

Everything is negotiable... but know when to back off of the shop owner is not interested.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-04-07, 02:16 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
You can probably get them to throw in a helmet or similar as a deal clincher. Maybe less if you are buying last years discounted entry level bike. More on high end stuff.
Wear your "poor" clothes
Old 12-04-07, 02:31 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
If not $$$, ask for maybe a couple of wheel trues or something.
Old 12-04-07, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Both my ride buddies are all thumbs when it comes to wrenching on bikes. They both bought from the local LBS and saved a few dollars by buying at the end of ride season. OTOH, they both really like the free tune ups that the shop provides for as long as you own the bike. Of course, when parts are needed, they get that sale, too. Check the after christmas sales. bk
Old 12-04-07, 03:38 PM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Both my ride buddies are all thumbs when it comes to wrenching on bikes. They both bought from the local LBS and saved a few dollars by buying at the end of ride season. OTOH, they both really like the free tune ups that the shop provides for as long as you own the bike. Of course, when parts are needed, they get that sale, too. Check the after christmas sales. bk
I've found that March is the best time to buy here...the snow is still on the ground, bike sales are dead, the new stock is beginning to arrive, and the store owners are very motivated to clear last year's carryover...the only problem is that there is not a lot of selection in old inventory...mostly the unpopular sizes, weird colours, and higher price points (but with deeper discounts)
Old 12-04-07, 04:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is almost time for the January White Bike sale, where all of the white bikes that couldn't be unloaded on someone throughout the year, are dumped at big discounts.

On a more serious note, one of the large LBS' here did run a mid-Feb sale on all Treks (current and previous year) at 20% off, last year.
Old 12-04-07, 05:52 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Sorry, got to leave this post now..............its time to go shop for my new saddle at Pricepoint.com.........see, we all do it.
No we all don't, either. I agree witht the first part of your post. The service is worth infinitely more than the few dollars saved shopping online. However, maybe I'm just lucky to have a good LBS. I was at my LBS today picking up my touring friend's bike and getting a new head for my pump. They are only 89 miles away and worth every mile of driving.
Old 12-04-07, 05:54 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is almost time for the January White Bike sale, where all of the white bikes that couldn't be unloaded on someone throughout the year, are dumped at big discounts.

On a more serious note, one of the large LBS' here did run a mid-Feb sale on all Treks (current and previous year) at 20% off, last year.
My LBS is getting rid of last years' inventory on EBAY. They were packing a carbon Scott to ship to NJ while I was down there today. One of the owners said that there had been some real bargains leaving the store. They just don't believe in keeping old inventory.
Old 12-04-07, 06:28 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by card
No we all don't, either. I agree witht the first part of your post. The service is worth infinitely more than the few dollars saved shopping online. However, maybe I'm just lucky to have a good LBS. I was at my LBS today picking up my touring friend's bike and getting a new head for my pump. They are only 89 miles away and worth every mile of driving.
That seems pretty extreme to me, especially for a shop too far away to be convenient. I support my LBS when I can, but they don't expect me to pass up significant savings just out of loyalty. I have even had my LBS manager tell me about good deals online. Today I took a MTB frame I got for $100 (shipped) from Pricepoint to my LBS to have them swap the headset and fork from my bike's frame over to this new one I'm building for my son. They were glad to help. Whatever parts I can't transfer, I'll buy from them.
Old 12-04-07, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
A good LBS will save you much more in adjustments and advice than the few dollars you can save online. This is especially true for new riders.
+ 1
Old 12-05-07, 05:39 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
That seems pretty extreme to me, especially for a shop too far away to be convenient. I support my LBS when I can, but they don't expect me to pass up significant savings just out of loyalty. I have even had my LBS manager tell me about good deals online. Today I took a MTB frame I got for $100 (shipped) from Pricepoint to my LBS to have them swap the headset and fork from my bike's frame over to this new one I'm building for my son. They were glad to help. Whatever parts I can't transfer, I'll buy from them.
Sorry to hijack but BD, let us know what you think of this frame. I've been looking at the Reiken stuff at pricepoint for a while and from photographs it looks very workmanlike.
Old 12-05-07, 06:26 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Sorry to hijack but BD, let us know what you think of this frame. I've been looking at the Reiken stuff at pricepoint for a while and from photographs it looks very workmanlike.
Initial impression of the Reken frame is pretty good. The welds look strong and fairly smooth. The paint (or is it powder coat?) is smooth. I like the understated graphics. It is a little on the heavy side, but not a tank. For a $70 plus shipping Taiwanese frame, I think it is a fantastic deal. We'll see if I feel the same after building it up and letting the boy try it out.
Old 12-05-07, 07:37 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My local bike shop discounts for accessories purchased with the bike.

Old 12-05-07, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100 good LBS is invaluable, especially in the learning stage of cycling.