Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Jamis Coda Sport and Jamis Coda?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-10-07, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what folks may know, is the steel frame a big advantage in the Jamis Coda line (and I like Jamis because they seem to provide a very solid product at a very fair price)? This is what keeps cropping up in my research for a hybrid bicycle - go with a lighter bike (which means no suspension fork) and a steel frame and fork for the most comfort, which is why I am now focused on the Coda Sport and Coda as my priorities as a newbie who wants to get back on a bicycle (50 years old, 6'0", 200 pounds, and in decent shape from two to three weight circuit training workouts per week for over 30 years) to ride mostly on pavement but with the capability to do light (rather than mountain) paths and trails.

In addition, as I continue to pinch pennies in attempting to squeeze this bicycle out as a Christmas present from the family, are the Coda Sport (MSRP $600) components worth the extra $125 over the Coda (MSRP $475) in your view?

Specifically, we are talking about the same frame, headset, fork, tires, rims, spokes, seat posts, tape, and brakes between the two. But the wheels are different (Shimano Road 2200 hubs versus Formula sealed alloy QR hubs), the derailleurs are different (Shimano Deore rear and Shimano R453-A bottom pull front versus Shimano Acera rear and Shimano C-102 bottom pull front), the shift levers are different (Shimano ST-440 for flat-bar versus SRAM TRX Unilever trigger-shift), the chains are different (KMC Z9000 versus KMC Z-82), the cassettes are different (SRAM PowerGlide 950, 9-speed, 11-32 versus Shimano CS-HG40, 8-speed, 11-32), the cranksets are different (FSA Vero Triple, 50/39/30 versus RPM alloy triple, 48/38/28), the BB sets are different (FSA Sealed Cartridge versus Sealed Cartridge BB), the pedals are different (full alloy platform type versus platform type, steel cage/resin body), the handlebars and stems are different (Ritchey Alloy flatbar and Ritchey Comp Adjustable stem versus alloy flatbar and alloy adjustable stem), the saddles are different (Selle San Marco Elba versus Jamis Touring with SL top and satin steel rails), and the weights are slightly different (25.75 pounds versus 26.50 pounds).

I am hoping to use this bicycle for pavement, paths, and trails without having to change the setup. Are the 700x28c Vittoria Zaffiro tires going to be acceptable for this? I almost wish a somewhat wider tire (700x32c or 700x35c or 700x38c) came standard, plus something that was puncture resistant.

Thanks for any input and advice.
Old 12-10-07, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on a Coda Elite that I got in April of this year and could not be happier with the bike. It is spec'ed a bit different than any of the current Coda bikes. If that is the type of bike you want, I don't think you will go wrong either way. I personally would spend the extra $125 and get the better grade of components.
Old 12-11-07, 07:01 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Of the components that I know, the Shimano Hubs are probably better, The Deore rear derailleur is better, the Shimano R440 flat bar shifters are much better (SRAM catches up at a much higher price point.), and the Ritchey bar and adjustable stem could be worth their weight in gold as you adjust the bike to your fit.

The tires can be replaced as soon as you wear out the first set.
Old 12-11-07, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks and a follow-up question.

Thanks to Terrierman and maddmaxx.

As a follow-up, based on an "in for a penny, in for a pound" analysis, do you guys think that it is worth it to go all the way and purchase a Coda Comp (MSRP of $800 compared to $600 for the Sport and $475 for the Coda)? Will the carbon fork make the ride noitceably better? Are the upgraded components worth it?
Old 12-11-07, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Yes very much so and I would think they would come off the list price as well. I went with the top of the line because I think the components have a very large play in the bike. Much cleaner shifting and after a while you'll learn to like that a lot. As you go along you might change the tires out as well as the saddle, but maybe you'll like them. As far as carbon forks go, I could notice the difference right away. Someone that doesn't have them or tried them for a very short ride might not. If you do a search on the Jamis Coda, you will see that many, many people like them. That's about all I can say about it and I have about 3000 miles on mine as well, but I'm riding 2 bikes now. You may be riding 2 as well when the bug hits, Merry Christmas.