Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Jamis Coda Sport and Jamis Coda?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what folks may know, is the steel frame a big advantage in the Jamis Coda line (and I like Jamis because they seem to provide a very solid product at a very fair price)? This is what keeps cropping up in my research for a hybrid bicycle - go with a lighter bike (which means no suspension fork) and a steel frame and fork for the most comfort, which is why I am now focused on the Coda Sport and Coda as my priorities as a newbie who wants to get back on a bicycle (50 years old, 6'0", 200 pounds, and in decent shape from two to three weight circuit training workouts per week for over 30 years) to ride mostly on pavement but with the capability to do light (rather than mountain) paths and trails.

In addition, as I continue to pinch pennies in attempting to squeeze this bicycle out as a Christmas present from the family, are the Coda Sport (MSRP $600) components worth the extra $125 over the Coda (MSRP $475) in your view?

Specifically, we are talking about the same frame, headset, fork, tires, rims, spokes, seat posts, tape, and brakes between the two. But the wheels are different (Shimano Road 2200 hubs versus Formula sealed alloy QR hubs), the derailleurs are different (Shimano Deore rear and Shimano R453-A bottom pull front versus Shimano Acera rear and Shimano C-102 bottom pull front), the shift levers are different (Shimano ST-440 for flat-bar versus SRAM TRX Unilever trigger-shift), the chains are different (KMC Z9000 versus KMC Z-82), the cassettes are different (SRAM PowerGlide 950, 9-speed, 11-32 versus Shimano CS-HG40, 8-speed, 11-32), the cranksets are different (FSA Vero Triple, 50/39/30 versus RPM alloy triple, 48/38/28), the BB sets are different (FSA Sealed Cartridge versus Sealed Cartridge BB), the pedals are different (full alloy platform type versus platform type, steel cage/resin body), the handlebars and stems are different (Ritchey Alloy flatbar and Ritchey Comp Adjustable stem versus alloy flatbar and alloy adjustable stem), the saddles are different (Selle San Marco Elba versus Jamis Touring with SL top and satin steel rails), and the weights are slightly different (25.75 pounds versus 26.50 pounds).

I am hoping to use this bicycle for pavement, paths, and trails without having to change the setup. Are the 700x28c Vittoria Zaffiro tires going to be acceptable for this? I almost wish a somewhat wider tire (700x32c or 700x35c or 700x38c) came standard, plus something that was puncture resistant.

Thanks for any input and advice.
Old 12-11-07, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a 2006 model Coda Sport a little over a year ago and have been extremely happy with it (I no longer used wanted a mountain bike with suspension - it was overkill for the riding I do). I bought it for on-road commuting, which the 28 mm tyres handle really well, but wanted to be able to put on wider tyres for trail riding. It can take 35 mm tyres without a problem, which is about as wide as I want to put on. Also, the 9-speed transmission keeps it in line with the rest of the fleet, so no need to keep additional spares.

The only gripe, that adjustable stem. While I haven't swapped it, I certainly have never adjusted it, it does creak under the slightest force and so needs a regular dose of silicon spray to keep it quiet. Oh, yes, I also use a different saddle (Selle Italia Flite) and SPD pedals.

In conclusion, I think that the Coda Sport is a better bike and is worth that extra over the Coda.

Ian
Old 12-25-07, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i heard jamis coda is worth your money... get it bro, it always nice to reminisce that old feeling of holding your newly acquired bike... yeah...
Old 12-25-07, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've heard jamis coda is worth your money... get one now, it's so nice to reminisce that feeling of holding that newly acquired bike... wooh...
Old 12-06-08, 12:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the regular Coda after looking at the Coda Sport too...the extra $125 didn't seem to me to be buying that much if you're riding on paved roads...i took mine 200+ miles from Glens Falls, NY to Montreal, Canada, to break it in...did nicely on the serious hills of the Adirondack Mountains...i took it real easy, took 5 days. Here in NYC the Coda is a great bike for the city, although it's true that the wheels may be a weak point, as I broke a spoke and had to replace it already, probably because of a pothole. It is a little heavy to drag up and down three flights of stairs, but the Sport is less than a pound lighter. For $475 I felt that it's a very fair price, considering that the next level cheaper of $300-350 bikes are usually far less pleasing. Of course you could look for a slightly used Sport that would be cheaper than a new Coda.
Old 12-06-08, 02:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2003 Jamis Coda Comp that's been just great. It was my commuter bike for four years in DC, and now it's my errand bike since I don't commute anymore. One of the best bikes I've had for its purpose.
Old 12-10-08, 10:19 AM
Sick Twisted Freak

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Twenty, 1968 AMF Hercules, 1970 Schwinn Varsity Sport, 1979 Schwinn Continental II, 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 2006 Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Coda Sport from 2006. My first bike since rediscovering cycling. I love it, and have put over 1000 miles on it each summer. This winter, it's on my trainer in the basement, and I'm attempting to ride it three times a week all winter long.

I considered the regular Coda, but I really didn't like the feel of the SRAM shifters at all (they seemed very sluggish and slow to respond), and in that particular model year, I believe that I got an upgraded crankset with the Sport. It has served me very well, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'll echo my concern for the rear wheel ... I was popping spokes at regular intervals, and finally decided that enough was enough and I invested in a new rear wheel this spring (Mavic). No problems since.

Best of luck! Hope you get a good year-end deal!
Old 12-10-08, 03:42 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I sent you a PM with my thoughts on the Coda line.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-10-08, 04:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The extra for the money would seem to be worth it. I have never been happy with Formula hubs and althought the Shimano 2200 are not top rate- they will suffice.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-10-08, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If it were me making the decision knowing what I know now (not when I first got back into cycling), I would go with the Jamis Coda. The issue of the components being worth more is moot from my perspective. Both component groups are more than adequate for getting started. And if you really do get back into riding, you'll likely find yourself yearning for a new bike in a year of so. So, save the extra money and put it toward your next bike (trust me, there will be a next bike).
Old 12-10-08, 04:08 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I sent you a PM with my thoughts on the Coda line.
Not fair. The rest of us want to know, too.

About the references to busted spokes. Broken spokes usually have more to do with the quality of the wheel build than with the quality of the wheel components. Best bet is to have the wheel retensioned (not just retrued) at the first sign of loose spokes.
Old 12-10-08, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2006 I bought a 2005 Jamis Coda Sport for commuting and have been extremely happy so far.

This year I have commuted very little because of my knees but probably have about 2k miles on it and have had no serious problems.......so far. I do move my Brooks B-17 between it and my road bike.

Because of my knee problems I do wish the gearing had been lower but I might can afford to change out the front chain rings. Mine came with a 30-39-50 and I might go to something like a 22-32-42 or a 26-36-46, if I can find something affordable. I currently have a 12-34 on the rear so that is about it for the cassette options. If you are in good health and ride flat ground this might not be an issue.

Other than that my only issue are the slicks on the bike since I do go through about 100 yards of gravel....when I get off my fat butt and ride to work.

Can't comment about the base Coda.

Before I forget, when comparing weight I add my weight to the mix, meaning the difference between 235 (me @210 and 25lb bike) and 240 (me @210 and 30lb bike) is relatively small.

In my mind it is easier.......and cheaper......and better...... for me to lose weight than to worry about the weight of the bike by itself.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 12-10-08, 06:08 PM
Riding my bike

Bikes: Giant TCR C2 / Giant Defy / Bianchi "beater"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I don't own a Jamis, when a friend was interested in riding more last year I steered him to the brand (based largely on their reputation for value at a fair price) and wound up helping him choose the Coda Sport over the Coda.

He was mostly interested in riding on the road and the Coda Sport (his is a 2007) came with front gearing at 30-42-52 that was more like a road bike than the Coda. He's since used the bike with very little modification on a charity century and he's been very happy with it.

The one issue he's had is that he's a clyde (at 200+) and he had the problem of breaking spokes on the stock rear wheel. After the first season he gave up and had a new wheel built by a very reputable LBS (at what I thought was a pretty reasonable price) and he's had no problems since.

At this point, he's even thinking about changing the cockpit to drop bars and brifters (for a lot less $$ than a new road bike) and he won't even think of getting rid of his frame.

Good luck with whichever Jamis you choose - I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 12-10-08, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have the Coda Elite, with over 5000 miles on it and I think it's a great bike. I did change the gearing to 48/36/26 and the handlebars to trekking bars and the saddle to a Brooks B17. I could have got the 2006, but I liked the 2005 better. They seem to keep cutting back. Anyway good luck, I think you'll like it.

Old 12-23-08, 11:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George,

Like your bike. Mind explaining your shifting arrangement a bit?

sunflowerflyer
Old 12-24-08, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts

I used the trigger shifters that came with the bike, but I changed the stem out to a fixed 130mm. From the back of the saddle to the the front of the stem I have 34". It's a pretty comfortable position, good luck.
Old 03-18-09, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took the plunge and bought a coda today, Whoo who... And of course it rained here all day long. Boo Hoo. I spent the better part of a month trying out the different types of bikes and reading every article on the net. I trimmed the choices down to 4 bikes, Trek 7.3fx and Valencia, Marin Sananselmo, and the Jamis coda. It came down to the marin and the jamis.

I just felt the jamis had the best ride and I got lucky with the price on '08 for 400bucks. The new models across the board have all gone up so finding a 08 was for me was great(you know the economy thing). I rode the coda, sport and comp. I really couldn't tell too much difference between them, so I thought I could always by the base model and add on down the road if neccessary.

Anybody recommend a good cheap bike computer? I am leaning towards a cateye.

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-18-09 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I ended up with.

After a lot of research I determined that the best value for my dollar was purchasing the KHS Urban-Xtreme.
Old 05-02-09, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow a year and a half to reasearch!
Old 05-02-09, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great, now lets see some pictures and please be a little quicker than you were buying the bike.. Is it a steel frame?