Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

HS PE swimming - b'day suit

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 03:39 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This memory came up for some reason today.

We had several sections in high school PE including wrestling, gymnastics, bball and swimming among others. This is back in the late 60's. PE classes then weren't co-ed. We did the swimming section in the nude. It's like from the dark ages or something. We didn't think twice about it back then.

Did anybody else do that?

btw, if you pissed off the instructor, he'd have you grab your ankles and nail you with a styrofoam kick board. I think that's a minimum half millon dollar settlement these days if you're lucky enough to have a teacher do that now.
Old 12-17-07, 03:51 PM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HS PE classes are co-ed now??? Co-ed wrestling??? Oh man . . .

-Spoke
Old 12-17-07, 03:55 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoke
HS PE classes are co-ed now??? Co-ed wrestling??? Oh man . . .

-Spoke
- Bet the boys can't wait for that section, eh?
Old 12-17-07, 04:03 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil

We had several sections in high school PE including wrestling, gymnastics, bball and swimming among others. This is back in the late 60's. PE classes then weren't co-ed. We did the swimming section in the nude. It's like from the dark ages or something. We didn't think twice about it back then.

btw, if you pissed off the instructor, he'd have you grab your ankles and nail you with a styrofoam kick board. I think that's a minimum half millon dollar settlement these days if you're lucky enough to have a teacher do that now.
Yes ,but it was with Cub Scouts in the 50's. And they had these long bamboo poles. If you touched the side of the pool (after you had learned to swim of course) without permission, they would whack your knuckles. Now what the heck was that all about?
Old 12-17-07, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
James Monroe HS in the Bronx, NY. 1964. I remember it well. Those were different times. I remember boys being sent home for too long hair (beatlemania) and for wearing jeans. Girls had to wear skirts and nylons. And this was in a public school!
Old 12-17-07, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there-done that. I graduated in 66. The girls had swimsuits, but us guys were buck nekkid. In the lower high school grades there is a big difference in developement and some guys were pretty embareassed.
Old 12-17-07, 08:41 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did that in a public high school in the Chicago suburbs in the late 60's. The doors to the pool grandstand were supposed to stay locked, but once in a while some girls would find an unlocked door, and sneak in to watch us swim.
Old 12-17-07, 08:45 PM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rainycamp
We did that in a public high school in the Chicago suburbs in the late 60's. The doors to the pool grandstand were supposed to stay locked, but once in a while some girls would find an unlocked door, and sneak in to watch us swim.
Yep, this was public high school, late 60's, suburbs of the Twin Cities. I'm gonna guess it comes from what would have been typical military procedure up until then. I remember doing marching too come to think of it.
Old 12-17-07, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
East High School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1969-1970. Swimming naked wasn't so bad. You just had to be careful how you entered the water from the diving board.
Old 12-17-07, 09:59 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Obvious evidence of some perverse manifestation of the beginnings of the gay/lesbian agenda. Or, the nudist agenda.
Old 12-17-07, 11:16 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 267 Posts
I graduated in 58. We never did the BD suit swimming but teachers could send you down to the PE coach with a note telling him to give you a swat or two. We always got it from a ping pong paddle. Afterward, he would initial the note for you to return to your teacher. Different times!
Old 12-17-07, 11:23 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
I graduated in 58. We never did the BD suit swimming but teachers could send you down to the PE coach with a note telling him to give you a swat or two. We always got it from a ping pong paddle. Afterward, he would initial the note for you to return to your teacher. Different times!
Mr. Fouts, my fourth grade teacher and first male teacher, delivered "swats," as he called them, with a wooden paddle, to the boys, in the front of the room. One to five depending on the offense. We saw it as a badge of honor to get swats. Sure hurt after winter recess when we'd been playing in the snow!

Of course, he'd be arrested today.

He did give me a heartache, however, when he up and married my kindergarden teacher, Miss Brown. I had hoped against hope that she'd wait for me!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-17-07, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first paddlin' teacher, Mr Conrad in the 6th grade, was actually a great guy...but a little strange. He looked and sounded exactly like Ernest Borgnine.

Years later, I heard he ended up in a mental institution. I never got over the sadness of hearing that, because as I said, he was really a great guy.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 12-18-07 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 05:09 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I went to a Catholic boy's high school in Des Moines. We didn't have a swimming pool but we did have corporal punishment. The teachers would administer various kinds of torture in the front of the classroom. I remember recieving swats from a chair rung, I think, until his arm got tired.

Thinking back, the teachers who used corporal punishment were all the screw offs. It was party time whenever they got somebody kneeling in the front of the room. The best disciplinarians did it with the force of their personalities.
Old 12-18-07, 05:38 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rainycamp
I was in the Chicago Public Schools (Senn HS) in the late '60s, we had to swim nude. I didn't get the point of that.

Road Fan
Old 12-18-07, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
As it was told to me, pre-WWII indoor pools were equipped with circulation pumps that would jam easily when threads caught in them. That's if the pool had any circulation system at all, some just kept the same water until it became too gross to deal with. Why that tradition carried on into the 50's and 60's, when pumps got better and swimsuits shrank, I don't know.
Old 12-18-07, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I was in the Chicago Public Schools (Senn HS) in the late '60s, we had to swim nude. I didn't get the point of that.

Road Fan
But at George Swift School (Thorndale and Winthrop), they had a pool and it was with swimwear in the 60's. Didn't go to Senn.
Old 12-18-07, 10:41 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Seems like a Yankee thing. The only place that I ever encountered it was the few weeks when I attended the summer camp at Hackley Academy in New York. Kids in Florida always wore bathing suits.

I only got paddled in 3rd Grade. I had 3 teachers that year. The final one for the last half of the year. I was her whipping boy. I got paddled 20 times. I can't remember why. So fat lot the paddling taught me. She was a former PE coach.
Old 12-18-07, 10:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil

...We did the swimming section in the nude. It's like from the dark ages or something. We didn't think twice about it back then.

btw, if you pissed off the instructor, he'd have you grab your ankles and nail you with a styrofoam kick board...
Yes. Me, too. Also, remember the feet dip just as you entered the pool room? I thought that was the worst part since it was always shockingly cold.

Also got on the receiving end of lots of corporal punishment. I was a real bad ass (not really, just mischevious) and held the class record for canings my eighth grade year...Ninety something as I recall. Most didn't hurt much since the prof would try to hit your wallet and produce a large whapping sound which made for lots of theater.

I think that's a minimum half millon dollar settlement these days if you're lucky enough to have a teacher do that now
Hmm...What's the statute of limitations on this?
Old 12-18-07, 10:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Smokester
Hmm...What's the statute of limitations on this?
Class action suit! Yeah baby!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
post.jpg (21.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-18-07, 12:32 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thankyou! I've mentioned the naked swimming thing a couple times and noone believed me. Heck, I started to doubt my own memory, it seems so strange.

But yeah, the boys swam naked. I know, because you could see through the door vent from the girl's side!
Old 12-18-07, 12:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
YMCA pools butt naked. I was always a bit suspicious of those YMCA supervisors!No corporal punishment, at least to me. I did have one kid spanked by the VP when I was teaching in the 60's. It was legal then. I regret that.
Old 12-18-07, 01:37 PM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our high school football coach was a former Rose Bowl Fullback for the U. of Tennewssee and a huge bear of a man. He always carried a custom made paddle that many of his students had autographed. It had a leather handle and he was always to be found standing in the hall swinging his paddle. On the last day of school, a friend and I sneaked into his room and stole the paddle; took it to the shop and sawed in into 6-8 pieces then returned it to his desk put back together like a jigsaw puzzle. My consience always bothered me about doing this, so I confessed to him at a 35th class reuinion. He didn't even remember it!!
Old 12-18-07, 02:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Played Rugby at school and had 3 Teachers coaching the 1st XV (15to the unitiated) All were good Club players and 5 of us played for Kent Under 18's. We would occasionally get a new Lad to join in the training-Wink Wink. These were the lads that needed a bit of straightening out and they normally got carried off the pitch after about 20 minutes- We made the pain last that long.

Then one memorable day and we had a whole class to train against. They really must have upset one of the teachers.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-18-07, 03:04 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Corporal punishment and forced group nudism. I didn't think so at the time, but maybe my high school, where the boys wore swim trunks, was an outpost of enlightenment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.