Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need scoop on Pardeeville from Tom Bombadil

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-18-07, 10:00 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was going to shoot you a PM, but you're not set up to receive them, so you'll just have to post a review for the world!

I think* you're pretty close to this town, and the Pedal Across Wisconsin site offers a weekend organized ride through the area. I'm confused, though, because it looks like a one day ride so I'm not sure if there's more area around there to sight see at and bike through.

What's your take on this? Have you ridden through this area at all?
https://www.pedalacrosswisconsin.com/#white
Old 12-18-07, 10:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I turn off PM on every forum I frequent, because I never remember to check for messages. I find them 3-4 months after someone send them, leaving people wondering why I ignored them.

I've been to Pardeeville. That area is flats & gently rolling terrain. Lots of ponds and lakes. Good birdwatching country. Not heavily populated and off the beaten trail, so I suspect traffic would be light. Pretty sleepy little town.

Never ridden there as I never ride roads and they don't have any bike trails there that I know of.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-18-07, 10:19 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks.

I'm dreaming about next season, and want to do some multi-day tours, but want to ease into it. I'm just not sure I could do 60 miles for several days in a row... I decided to start out slower, with rides for beginners or families. The PAW site has 4 rides I could manage, and there are some day rides in MN.

Someone on this forum did a cool trip in Quebec, but I lost the link to it....anyone remember that one?
Old 12-18-07, 10:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see one of their other rides is in Door County. I love that area. It's like visiting New England, lots of rocky beaches, lighthouses, beautiful small towns, several state & county parks, dozens of artisans & studios.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-18-07, 10:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you been over to this trail:

https://www.chippewa-river-trail.com/

Durand isn't far from the Minnesota border. It's a mostly-paved rail trial that runs 30 miles each way. Runs along a river. Would be a nice ride with a riding partner.

Old 12-18-07, 10:33 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, the door county one is high on my list. And thanks for the Durand link! Problem is, I don't have anyone to ride with, so I'd like to start out doing this with a group of some kind. I don't really like riding alone that much, but none of my friends ride. I have a couple that own bikes and are capable* of it, though, so I'll try and lure them.
Old 12-18-07, 10:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tour routes, but unorganized: https://www.wisconline.com/attractions/biketours.html

Fully-supported multi-day tour in northern Wisconsin: https://www.wisconsinbiking.com/ridel...fm?eventID=177

500 mile Minnesota tour: https://www.habitat500.org/habitat500...t500/Home.html

300 mile Minnesota tour: https://bikemnm.nationalmssociety.org...z6s2ly1.app10a

300+ mile Wisconsin tour: https://www.grabaawr.com/Sagbraw/index.html

427 mile Wisconsin tour: https://www.grabaawr.com/Grabaawr/index.html

150 mile Lake Michigan shoreline tour: https://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all...?item_id=57271

Old 12-18-07, 11:04 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh! Lots of good links I didn't find on my own. Thanks. But, I'm just not sure about doing that kind of mileage every day. I could maybe pull off one day of 70 miles, but not multiple days. That's why the PAW site looks promising... they have all different levels in one tour. So you can kind of decide each day if you want a big day or an easy day. I'm surprised there aren't more tours organized like this.
Old 12-18-07, 11:19 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another two-day 150 mile tour - the Best Dam Bike Tour:
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/event...Bike_Tour.aspx

Beautiful 50 mile tour along Mississippi River:
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/event...964&menuid=107

13 to 68 mile tour along Wisconsin Lake Superior shoreline:
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/event...2207&menuid=59

32 to 60 mile tour:
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/event...8143&menuid=59

34 to 71 mile Minnesota tour:
https://www.paulbunyancyclists.com/index.cfm?pageid=725

One day Minnesota Tour:
https://www.mesabitrail.com/great-river-energy/

Old 12-18-07, 11:33 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK!!!! Those are PERFECT! Exactly* what I'm looking for. I am going to have SUCH a fun summer. Thanks! I had planned on the Paul Bunyan one. I just got the OK from a friend to go on the Pardeeville one.

Tom, what search words do you use to find these?
Old 12-18-07, 11:36 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simple stuff like

Wisconsin bike tour
Wisconsin bicycle tour
Minnesota one day bike tour

And the like.

Then I look through about 2-3 pages of results and follow the links.

Old 12-18-07, 11:38 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They do look like fun. If I were a road biker and if I could stay up with anyone, I'd think about doing a few.

Old 12-18-07, 11:51 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Simple stuff like

Wisconsin bike tour
Wisconsin bicycle tour
Minnesota one day bike tour

And the like.

Then I look through about 2-3 pages of results and follow the links.

Hmmm. I guess, at that point, I was looking for "Guided Beginner Tours" which was a lot less effective.

I ride just like you do. Which is pretty much why I have noone to ride with. Like I said, the people I'll end up luring along are just occasional cyclists. It's actually kind of nice that I have friends who are fit enough to ride 40 miles but don't really have any personal goals about it. They're just out to do something a little different and see some place new. IF* I can get them away from their busy lives for a whole weekend. We could stop every mile for all they cared....
Old 12-19-07, 12:09 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had some friends from Utah stop by in June of this year - they were on a two week tour of the Midwest and were riding trails almost every day. I rode with them on two consecutive days. That was the only time this year I rode with anyone. It was a blast. We rode at 10-12 mph and stopped whenever we wanted. Did 20 miles one day and 33 the next. Shopped in small towns, had some good meals.

I love a nice leisurely 30 mile ride. My slowest ride of the year was when I did 27 miles in 7.5 hours. Had two meals along the way, took a couple of hikes, did some birdwatching, bought an item from an antique store and strapped it to the back of my recumbent's seat.

Only took one ride of over 12 miles the entire year where I averaged over 10 mph in real elasped time.

Old 12-19-07, 07:32 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I turn off PM on every forum I frequent, because I never remember to check for messages. I find them 3-4 months after someone send them, leaving people wondering why I ignored them.
Tom - You can set the PM on BFN so that you get a notification email when someone posts a PM to you. This is what I do so that I don't ignore the very few PM's sent to me.
Old 12-19-07, 11:41 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Tom - You can set the PM on BFN so that you get a notification email when someone posts a PM to you. This is what I do so that I don't ignore the very few PM's sent to me.
Sounds like "IT" talk to me...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-19-07, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
What's your take on this? Have you ridden through this area at all?
https://www.pedalacrosswisconsin.com/#white
I haven't been to Pardeville, but my wife and I, and several of our tandem friends, have ridden the PAW North Woods ride several times. If you're up for 60 mile days, Dr J's tours are pretty hard to beat.
Old 12-19-07, 09:41 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
You should both join me on One Helluva Ride, Chelsea, MI. Run by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.

Road Fan
Old 12-19-07, 09:54 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solveg, I see Tom gave you a link to the Mesabi trail. Great trail, one of the best.
Old 12-19-07, 09:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I won't be doing any of the tours, I do hope to get over to Lane, MN in 2008 to ride the Root River Trail. I was going to ride it this year, but after all of the flood damage, I switched that weekend to riding the Elroy-Sparta and "400" trails here in Wisconsin.

Will be riding several Wisconsin trails this year too.

Old 12-19-07, 10:57 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
You should both join me on One Helluva Ride, Chelsea, MI. Run by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.

Road Fan

Oooh! I'd have to bring my Mondonico so we could compare once and for all! Not that I would be able to keep up with you...

Does anyone remember the chateau to chateau trip someone took in Quebec? That trip looked really attractive to me.

Tom, we should really meet up for bit somewhere... I bet we'd be good putzers together.
Old 12-20-07, 06:34 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Oooh! I'd have to bring my Mondonico so we could compare once and for all! Not that I would be able to keep up with you...

Does anyone remember the chateau to chateau trip someone took in Quebec? That trip looked really attractive to me.

Tom, we should really meet up for bit somewhere... I bet we'd be good putzers together.
I am trying to get faster, but I really love just tootling along.

Road Fan
Old 12-20-07, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet we'd be good putzers together.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I am trying to get faster, but I really love just tootling along.
Putzing? Tootling? Where is your dignity, people!!!???

Old 12-20-07, 07:13 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Putzing? Tootling? Where is your dignity, people!!!???

Putzing and Tootling are VERY dignified! Whachyoutalkin' about, Big Paulie!
Old 12-20-07, 08:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still working on getting up to Putzing and Tootling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.