Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Let down by an old friend!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-29-07, 09:38 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

We've been doing some longer rides this month and I purposefully have used the bike with the saddle that has always been comfortable. It's the bike I've used on the centuries in the mountains have spent 7 hours in the saddle and never had an issue.

Now for some unexplained reason I'm developing some real tenderness under my left sit bone. It got so sore on Thursday's 100 mile ride I had to stop for a few minutes just to take a break. I've done lots of Centuries on this setup before and only stopped 1 or 2 times for quick fluid breaks and never had any comfort issues.

I thought all the extra pounds I've gained the past couple months would be additional cushion on my butt........I'm amazed how a saddle can work great for a while and then unexpectedly turn on you. I wonder how saddle companies do that**********
Old 12-29-07, 10:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It can be one of several things- Not being ridden on and frost getting in and separating the padding- The butt not liking the extra weight that has gone into the tender spot- The simple fact that it has taken a knock and been damaged or- And I agree with you entirely on this- The manufacturers have put a chip into the saddle and after just so many months or years of fitting just right- the factory press a button and change the Shape of the saddle.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-29-07, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jppe....I bought a Max Flite Gel almost two years ago largely on your recommendation. I really like the saddle and hope whenever it "goes off" under my behind won't be for a long time. I agree with Stapfam that the saddle, inorganic dead thing slow to change that it is, may not be the problem so much as your living, mysterious butt tissue which, inexplicably, can surprize you from time to time. Keep the faith until all rationality says time to change.

Could it be a shorts problem? Deep saddle sore?
Old 12-29-07, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could it be the extra pounds causing the discomfort? It might not take a whole lot of difference in weight to make the saddle feel differently. I had a similar experience this summer with my 70s Brooks Pro with small rivets. I don't ride the bike this is on very often anymore, but when I do the Brooks has always felt just fine. That is, until on ride this summer when it suddenly felt like I was sitting on a section of steel railway. A few weeks later it felt fine again.
Old 12-30-07, 02:25 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Before I had the prostate problem- I had a Flite Titanium saddle. It was comfortable but not after the op. Took a long time for the prostate to settle down but finished up with the Flite max gel- one beautiful saddle and very similar to my original Flite. Problem is that I have found the Original Flite after a few years of searching and it definitely no longer works. Tried it but My butt has changed permanently in the last 6 years.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-30-07, 07:22 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
...may not be the problem so much as your living, mysterious butt tissue which, inexplicably, can surprize you from time to time...
I love this line.
Old 12-30-07, 08:55 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Are all the recumbent riders asleep?

I have resisted the temptation to point out that this never happens to me on my Brooks saddles.
Old 12-30-07, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Are all the recumbent riders asleep?

I have resisted the temptation to point out that this never happens to me on my Brooks saddles.
No, you haven't!
Old 12-30-07, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother in law has ridden for years on a well broken in Brooks B-17. This past year, he went on a diet and exercise program, and lost about 25 lbs., from 180 down to 155. About the time he reached his lowest weight total, he started becoming uncomfortable on the bike. He changed angle and height, tried another saddle, even tried new pedals, but couldn't get it "just right" again.

He has since gained about 8 lbs. back, and seems to be getting his butt comfort back. We have wondered if the weight loss caused his Brooks not to fit as well, since it was broken in at the higher weight.

Who knows...shouldn't have changed his sit bones, tho....
Old 12-30-07, 09:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
No, you haven't!
Up untill then I had.
Old 12-30-07, 09:33 AM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I caught the post pretty quick. I didn't even want to bother to answer. Another buddy of mine however is compiling a log of all the upright pain and discomfort posts for his blog. I'll email him the link. I figure if you guys haven't figured out yet that recumbents contribute no pain to the ride, I'm not gonna worry about it. Its not my butt and I can't see yours from my house

Last edited by lowracer1; 12-30-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-30-07, 10:21 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
So maybe I never quite got the seat adjusted right, but my experience on a recumbent seemed to give me a sore butt that felt like muscle compression soreness. If I rolled to one side (one cheek) for 10 seconds and then the other for 10 seconds, it would go away for another half hour or so.
Old 12-30-07, 10:29 AM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
So maybe I never quite got the seat adjusted right, but my experience on a recumbent seemed to give me a sore butt that felt like muscle compression soreness. If I rolled to one side (one cheek) for 10 seconds and then the other for 10 seconds, it would go away for another half hour or so.

I'm guessing you were on a model that either had a very upright seat, or you haven't used that particular muscle before in that riding position. All my recumbents are more reclined so the pressure points are spread out over a longer distance. support is from my neck all the way to the butt, although, my butt isn't really on the seat.
Old 12-30-07, 10:41 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
As I understand the facts from previous posts, you were playing more golf at the end of the season. You then announce you are doing a series of centuries in December as base mileage - one per week. I am not surprised your butt is sore considering the sudden ramp up in saddle time. The other matter is the ratio of standing to sitting. I suspect the base mileage centuries were flat and you sat more than you usually do if there was more climbing. You probably needed to get out of the saddle more and stand on the flats to get more blood circulation to the sit bone area.