Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   OT, Firefox or IE (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/374471-ot-firefox-ie.html)

George 12-29-07 03:20 PM

OT, Firefox or IE

I've been trying to use the search function for a few weeks now and I keep getting a blank page. So I wrote to the moderators and they said nobody uses IE anymore, switch to Firefox. I'm not ready to start switching over to Firefox and I was wondering how many of you made the switch. I can't understand why it was working up until about two weeks ago and now it wont, unless they changed something.

late 12-29-07 03:22 PM

Try FireFox

maddmaxx 12-29-07 03:28 PM

I would imagine that IE users outnumber Firefox uses by a huge amount. Just sayin.

George 12-29-07 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 5887892)
I would imagine that IE users outnumber Firefox uses by a huge amount. Just sayin.

I wish Brian was reading this.

Trsnrtr 12-29-07 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 5887892)

Some people still think they need AOL to get on the internet, too. Just sayin.

BSLeVan 12-29-07 03:42 PM

I switched from FireFox to IE - are you reading this Brian? I've had fewer problems with IE, and my major customer requires that I use IE to enter bills into thier fiscal system.

maddmaxx 12-29-07 03:45 PM

No doubt that Firefox works well, its just that too many places that I need to do business with at work can't or don't allow access with it.

That turns the whole argument into a replay of Betamax/VHS or Apple/PC. Sometimes market standards overpower technical beauty.

Digital Gee 12-29-07 04:20 PM

I use Camino, but then, I'm on a Mac. I find it outperforms Safari. Wait, what was the question again?

rodrigaj 12-29-07 04:21 PM

I use both. 99% Firefox, 1% IE. Just keep both on the desktop and use whichever suits your needs.

The citrix client that I use for work doesn't like Firefox at times.

Most sites seem to work better with Firefox.

John E 12-29-07 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by rodrigaj (Post 5888107)
I use both. 99% Firefox, 1% IE. Just keep both on the desktop and use whichever suits your needs.

The citrix client that I use for work doesn't like Firefox at times.

Most sites seem to work better with Firefox.

This is my experience and my preference, as well.

BFD 12-29-07 05:21 PM

Perhaps they meant no one uses IE 5 any more? Which version are you using [that they're incinerating doesn't work]? I searched road cycling for the word "campy" and got 20 pages. I'm using IE 7.

dmac49 12-29-07 05:33 PM

I use Fire Fox and I have the extension for IE if I need it or prefer to view it in IE. I never tried BF in IE7 until now and got the same thing. I'm not sure as to why and maybe someone can answer that for me as well. I'm not looking to jump to IE as I find FireFox far better for me.

Yen 12-29-07 05:59 PM

I prefer Firefox for its supposed increased security. The only thing I don't like about it is when I set it to Offline and when I reload a page it doesn't tell me I'm offline and ask me if I want to go back online, so I wonder why the page doesn't look any different than it did 5 hours earlier. Now I'm in the habit of checking first, then reloading, but I wish it would alert and ask me.

DnvrFox 12-29-07 06:15 PM

I have absolutely no problem searching with IE 6.0.

What version are you using?

That said, I generally prefer using the google paradigm:

site:bikeforums.net search term(s) and logic

George 12-29-07 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BFD (Post 5888300)
Perhaps they meant no one uses IE 5 any more? Which version are you using [that they're incinerating doesn't work]? I searched road cycling for the word "campy" and got 20 pages. I'm using IE 7.

That's the one I'm using and all I get is a blank page.

George 12-29-07 06:59 PM

I just went to User Assistance and there's someone with Firefox that gets a blank page as well.

ad6mj 12-29-07 08:20 PM

I also use Firefox 99% of the time. Occasionally, I run into a site that requires IE.

George 12-29-07 08:26 PM

Yes but, 2 weeks ago everything was fine. They changed something, thanks for the replys guys.

Sci-Fi 12-29-07 08:47 PM

Opera, smaller footprint and faster.

Spokes man 12-29-07 08:56 PM

I read a story in the newspaper this morning about AOL dropping support for its ownership of Netscape, and in that story it was reported that IE has 90 percent of the browser market and Firefox about 10 percent. That sounds a bit high for IE, but it does indicate it is still by far the dominant browser. Friends of mine who design websites say they design their pages to work best in IE since most visitors will be using that.

The search works fine for me using IE 7 on XP, SP2 and all Windows updates.

DnvrFox 12-29-07 09:14 PM

Sometimes clearing out All your cookies does remarkable things. I just solved a nasty problem by doing that.

George 12-29-07 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5889391)
Sometimes clearing out All your cookies does remarkable things. I just solved a nasty problem by doing that.

Thanks DFox, but I clean my whole computer off every night. I know they did something and they have to fix it. I guess they don't have to, but it sure will knock the searching down a bit.

deraltekluge 12-29-07 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5889391)

I'm using WinXP SP2, and I've found that IE6 is sensitive to number/size of the temporary internet files it has stored. Strange things happen when you allow that to build up. I have no explanation as to why, but I've cleared some very peculiar problems by deleting the temporary files. (Tools>>Internet Options) and (start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Disc Cleanup).

I use IE6 for most things, but I use Firefox here. The only reason for that is that when I installed Firefox, and it copied all my favorites/bookmarks from IE, it put them in alphabetical order, and Bike Forums is near the top of the list and easy to click!

deraltekluge 12-29-07 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 5889478)
Thanks DFox, but I clean my whole computer off every night. I know they did something and they have to fix it. I guess they don't have to, but it sure will knock the searching down a bit.

Huh? It must be a real pain to start over every day without cookies.

Trsnrtr 12-29-07 09:38 PM

I know nothing about this place, but here is a bunch of stats to stare at:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp