Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fieldtrip to Rivendell

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fieldtrip to Rivendell

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 09:58 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fieldtrip to Rivendell

Finally made it down to Rivendell. It's only about a 1-1/2 hour drive, I'm in search of a bike I can fall in love with, so why not? What fun! In spite of being cold and drizzly, a nice guy named Mark measured me for fit, I got to ride four different bikes, and really liked one. I kept going back to it over and over. Also, it had one of these saddles. Mmmmm. The other bikes had Brooks saddles, but they didn't compare in comfort of one of these puppies. I even met the legend himself. And yes, I am a dork. I shook his hand and TOLD him he was a legend. At least I didn't take HIS picture. Just his bikes.

So in my quest for love, I think I have a wee bit of a crush on this bike: (and knowing this forum so well, let me say in advance that the saddle must have gotten bumped while being put back in the rack; it wasn't tilted like that when I rode it.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bleriot_1.jpg (72.7 KB, 161 views)
Bleriot_2.jpg (71.3 KB, 163 views)
Old 12-29-07, 10:04 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike! Love that color. But a black saddle would look best on that turquoise bike. So, when are you going to get it?
Old 12-29-07, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Not interested in a carbon wonderbike?
Old 12-29-07, 10:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've chatted here about that saddle before. It is made here in Wisconsin. Rivendell raves about it.
Old 12-29-07, 10:46 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Last summer I was in Massachusetts due to a death in my wife's family. We were just south of Boston for nearly two weeks clearing up various estate issues. This left me with time to go into the city, so we scrounged some tickets for a Red Sox game and I took my nephew into Boston. I took time to swing by Harris Cyclery.

Though Sheldon Brown was not there, I struck up a conversation with Elton Pope-Lance, as I have ordered numerous parts from their store. After admiring the Rambouillets and Atlantis bikes that were on the floor, he invited me to take one for a spin. After setting the seat height I took a Rambouillet out for a half hour spin in Newton, leaving my nephew in the store. I wasn't wearing my bike clothes but I still remember how to use toe clips. It was a very stable and sweet riding bike. It beat my Trek 520 hands down for stability.

However, the new Rambouillets are all gone, as far as I know, unless you can find one sitting in a store, and they don't know when, if ever, there will be anymore. They replaced it with the A Homer Hilsen. The smallest size of the A Homer Hilsen is 57 cm, and the Rivendell website says if you need something smaller then you should get a Saluki or Bleirot, both of which have 650 wheels. So if you want a 700c wheel is anything smaller than a 57 cm you are out of luck with Rivendell. I need a 54 or 56.

So I'm out of luck.

I think this was a purely dumb move on their part but hey, its their company.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 12-29-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-29-07, 10:56 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Yen. It is a beautiful color, and I think you're right about the black saddle. Let me add that I'm just dating right now. Playing the field. Not ready for commitments. I may try a Specialized Roubaix next. Dating is fun!
Old 12-29-07, 10:58 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Yes, Yen. It is a beautiful color, and I think you're right about the black saddle. Let me add that I'm just dating right now. Playing the field. Not ready for commitments. I may try a Specialized Roubaix next. Dating is fun!
Well, I can vouch for the Roubaix! Wonderful bike.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-29-07, 11:03 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oooooooh, I rode a Roubaix a few months ago..... a very smooth ride. A tad too big for me, but very smooth. I liked it a lot.
Old 12-30-07, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Selle San Antatomic saddles are GREAT! And, you can get the model you rode in black...
Old 12-30-07, 10:14 AM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Last summer I was in Massachusetts due to a death in my wife's family. We were just south of Boston for nearly two weeks clearing up various estate issues. This left me with time to go into the city, so we scrounged some tickets for a Red Sox game and I took my nephew into Boston. I took time to swing by Harris Cyclery.

Though Sheldon Brown was not there, I struck up a conversation with Elton Pope-Lance, as I have ordered numerous parts from their store. After admiring the Rambouillets and Atlantis bikes that were on the floor, he invited me to take one for a spin. After setting the seat height I took a Rambouillet out for a half hour spin in Newton, leaving my nephew in the store. I wasn't wearing my bike clothes but I still remember how to use toe clips. It was a very stable and sweet riding bike. It beat my Trek 520 hands down for stability.

However, the new Rambouillets are all gone, as far as I know, unless you can find one sitting in a store, and they don't know when, if ever, there will be anymore. They replaced it with the A Homer Hilsen. The smallest size of the A Homer Hilsen is 57 cm, and the Rivendell website says if you need something smaller then you should get a Saluki or Bleirot, both of which have 650 wheels. So if you want a 700c wheel is anything smaller than a 57 cm you are out of luck with Rivendell. I need a 54 or 56.

So I'm out of luck.

I think this was a purely dumb move on their part but hey, its their company.
Hi Monoborracho,

I'm still trying to figure out all the details about bike parts and sizes. Can you please tell me more about why you prefer the 700 over the 650? I need a bike smaller than 57, too.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-07, 10:19 AM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Those Selle San Antatomic saddles are GREAT! And, you can get the model you rode in black...
Hi Big Paulie,

I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. And that was before I even knew what kind of saddle it was. (Or the price tag!!!) Sounds like you have one? Don't you also have a Bleriot?
Old 12-30-07, 11:29 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sounds like a very fun trip. I've been meaning to visit the Waterford factory, only a 1 hour ride, but haven't found the time yet.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-30-07, 12:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As an old Bridgestone Owner's Bunch (member #1132), I have followed Grant's wanderings in VeloLand for some time. I ride a Bridgestone and a Romulus. (Incidentally, I bought the Rom without riding it in a reckless abandon credit card ecstacy one day. They assured me a 57cm was my fit (I'm 5'8") but I'd ridden nothing bigger than a 54cm before. I bulled ahead-- with reservations. Thing fit like a glove out of the box. Still does. A fine longrider.)

Anyway, I've spent a fair share at Riv but some of Grant's decisions are weird (tailored plaid yuppy level seat bags!) and seem to be the OCP of Freddish as he burrows into his unique market niche. The Rom and the Ram were good bikes that filled a great roll of bringing the ride of his sorta custom bikes down to the level many of us can afford. For me, the Hilsen is just a bit over the edge into shellac&twine, wooly poplin, ride in your Converse tennies quaintness.

I'm still a Riv sympathizer, but sometimes chuckle (not patronizingly) when going through their website.

***FWIW, Rich, their wheelbuilder, built me a sweet pair of Open Pros at a very competitive price.
Old 12-30-07, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Big Paulie, I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. And that was before I even knew what kind of saddle it was. (Or the price tag!!!) Sounds like you have one? Don't you also have a Bleriot?
Yes on the Saddle, but no on the Bleriot. I'm soldering onward with a Rambouillet. I am considering a Berliot as a second bike, but can't afford it right now. I love the 650B concept, and the frame can be had for $750 or less.

The SAA saddle is worth every penny, and then some. I' gladly buy a new one once a year if I had to, that's how much I like it. But mine feels like its going to last forever.

I had a great bit of seridipity a while back. I went for a ride with clouds gathering, but since this is SO CAL and it never rains (according to the old song) I went for it. I was at my turnaround point (25 mile ride, 12.5 miles into it,) when it just started pouring. The first thing I thought of was my saddle...even though SAA's are much more water resistant than Brookses. I looked around, and there was a doggy poop bag station on the side of the road! I pulled out a bag, and it fit perfectly over the saddle. When I got home, the saddle was completely dry!!! I, on the other hand, was drenched. But the good news is that I only crashed once. (Memo to self: Cross over railroad tracks in the rain at a 90 degree angle.)
Old 12-30-07, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
For me, the Hilsen is just a bit over the edge into shellac&twine, wooly poplin, ride in your Converse tennies quaintness.

Very good line, CC! You haven't lost a step in your old age!!!
Old 12-30-07, 12:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't mess with Big Paulie - he is being watched over by a higher power.
Old 12-30-07, 12:25 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm still a Riv sympathizer, but sometimes chuckle (not patronizingly) when going through their website.
I hear ya. Rivendell fill a place that is much needed in the cycling world, but it seems like by the time they've got me convinced to buy one of their products, it's either out-of-stock or discontinued. I do have one of their classic banana bags, and their Ruffy Tuffy and Roly Poly tires are truly wonderful.
Old 12-30-07, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you please tell me more about why you prefer the 700 over the 650? I need a bike smaller than 57, too.

I think that Grant designs his smaller frames with the 650B wheels so the geometry isn't comprimised by a large wheel on a small frame. The down side is that the larger 700c wheel size rolls a bit easier, and there's a much broader choice of tires and rims available. But, with my experience with the Ruffy Tuffy/Jack Brown tires has been good enough that I don't care to ride anything else...and that style tire is available for the 650B rims. So, I am interested in trying a Bleriot in my size (59) and seeing how the 650B wheels feel over time...with their generous tire width.
Old 12-30-07, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Don't mess with Big Paulie - he is being watched over by a higher power.
Finally, a voice of reason in this forum!
Old 12-30-07, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, to add yet another post to this discussion, I agree that Rivendell has and is lapsing into some odd decisions. I think capital is a big issue with them, which is why bike models come and go, and advertised stock isn't consistantly available.

That said, thank goodness they exist at all!
Old 12-30-07, 12:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the above, Paulie. I'm not "dissing" 650B bikes in the least. Wish I had one. To me, they connote riding in cotton up some twisty, sun speckled dusty road in Provence and stopping beneath the pines with Leslie Caron for a checkered cloth lunch of brie, crusty bread, wine--and the scent of her wild lavender. Ah, the romance.

But, as I've whined many a time, mostly I skim along crappy country roads frosted with cow sh*t munching a Clif bar and, instead of Leslie Caron, I get 20'ish jerks in pickups whizzing by my elbow.

Come to think of it, a Bleriot would work well out here. Maybe Grant should change the name to "La Caron"...I can think of a lovely headbadge.

Last edited by CrossChain; 12-30-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 12:36 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Rivendell the Mecca of the cycling world?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-30-07, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe Grant should change the name to "La Caron"...I can think of a lovely headbadge.
Attached Images
caron-2.jpg (20.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-30-07, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Is Rivendell the Mecca of the cycling world?
This photo is a good depiction, but what's missing is the Swiss Guard out front of Rivendell that Grant has on loan from the Vatican. It's a bit over-the-top, but when you've made bikes for over ten years and not touched a can of white paint, you can get cocky...
Old 12-30-07, 12:43 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Hi Monoborracho,

I'm still trying to figure out all the details about bike parts and sizes. Can you please tell me more about why you prefer the 700 over the 650? I need a bike smaller than 57, too.

Thanks!
While you can get 650 tires and wheels, they are not as readily available, and the selection of tires and tubes will be less. Its just out of the mainstream. To some that won't matter, to some it will. I may change my mind at some point.

Grant's ravings about tire size/geometry/and toe overlap are not shared by all people.

But right now Rivendell has lost me to the possibility of building up a Soma

https://www.somafab.com/speedsterplus.html

or even a Bob Jackson frame

https://www.worldclasscycles.com/JACKSON-TOUR-FRAME.htm

sometime in the spring. There are a lot of nice steel bikes out there (and some are priced less than Rivendell's frames).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.