Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Does that make me great? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/375514-does-make-me-great.html)

Retro Grouch 01-02-08 09:12 AM

Does that make me great?

If my grandson is living with a woman who has three children (not his) does that make me a great grandfather?

maddmaxx 01-02-08 09:15 AM

If not great, then at least adequate! :)

Jet Travis 01-02-08 09:16 AM

I always thought you were great.

Retro Grouch 01-02-08 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 5908295)
I always thought you were great.

Thanks. I can see already that I'm going to have to post threads like this more often.

tntom 01-02-08 09:31 AM

Yes! I think? I guess? Who knows.:D

Beverly 01-02-08 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 5908272)
If my grandson is living with a woman who has three children (not his) does that make me a great grandfather?

Of course that makes you a great grandfather. Just remember all grandkids are great:D

cccorlew 01-02-08 10:05 AM

Check your wallet and Visa card bill. Are you broke? Then maybe.

guybierhaus 01-02-08 10:26 AM

Not sure you want a serious answer. My other hobby is genealogy. From a genealogy point of view you have no relation. If you grandson were to marry this woman, you could consider yourself a Step great grandfather; although that isn't a "real" relationship title. If your grandson were to father a child with this woman, whether he married her or not, you would be a great grandfather to that child only.

stapfam 01-02-08 10:39 AM

If I were you I would go and stay with this family for a week or longer and see if they accept you as grandfather. If they can put up with you for that long- then you are not living up to your usual standards.

Retro Grouch 01-02-08 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 5908642)
If I were you I would go and stay with this family for a week or longer and see if they accept you as grandfather. If they can put up with you for that long- then you are not living up to your usual standards.

:) :) :) :) :).

BSLeVan 01-02-08 11:56 AM

A family can be many things. Generally, it is the people in them who determine who is family and who is not. Hence, you, your son, the woman he lives with, and the kids are the only ones who can determine if you are a great grandfather.

BluesDawg 01-02-08 03:22 PM

Do the kids consider your Grandson to be their Dad? If they do, consider yourself a Great Grandad.

Sgt Fury 01-02-08 07:30 PM

Depends on your perspective. Do you accept them as yours? Then that would make you a great grand father. If they are the kids of the woman your grandson is living with, then they are just kids with whom you have become acquainted. Me, I have a neighbor that has a kid I absolutely adore. He's not my grandson but he is my grandneighbor.

DnvrFox 01-02-08 07:55 PM

Can one be Great and Grand and a Father all at the same time? If so, go for it!

Terrierman 01-02-08 08:04 PM

Depends. Is anyone involved a cousin?

maddmaxx 01-03-08 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5912098)
Can one be Great and Grand and a Father all at the same time? If so, go for it!

There are some remote parts of the country where it might be possible.

Trsnrtr 01-03-08 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sgt Fury (Post 5911904)
Depends on your perspective. Do you accept them as yours? Then that would make you a great grand father. If they are the kids of the woman your grandson is living with, then they are just kids with whom you have become acquainted. Me, I have a neighbor that has a kid I absolutely adore. He's not my grandson but he is my grandneighbor.

So true. Every Christmas, we have a house full of relatives that has expanded to include relatives of in-laws, children of SOs, etc. I have to stop and think occasionally about who is related to who. It's been going on so long, that I call my brother's mother-in-law "Mom." :)

Sgt Fury 01-04-08 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 5914421)
So true. Every Christmas, we have a house full of relatives that has expanded to include relatives of in-laws, children of SOs, etc. I have to stop and think occasionally about who is related to who. It's been going on so long, that I call my brother's mother-in-law "Mom." :)

Well now that's just sick! How can you call even your mother-in-law "mom" much less your brother's mother-in-law?:eek:

Me? I call my brother's mother-in-law by her name. But boy-oh-boy she's a saint (and wealthy)! I wish she was my mother-in-law!:D

Dallyup 01-04-08 09:37 PM

Google the old country song "I'm my own grandpa" that will explain it all