Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Will Dehne......Phone Home. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/375580-will-dehne-phone-home.html)

CrossChain 01-02-08 01:52 PM

Will Dehne......Phone Home.

Man, I dislike it when people drop off the radar....empty chairs at the table. Have I been missing his posts?

Tom Bombadil 01-02-08 02:09 PM

I've noticed his absence too. His last logon was on 11/27.

Digital Gee 01-02-08 02:34 PM

There was another fellow I've been wondering about as well. His doggone screen name is escaping me, but he was a really successful weight loss story, and pushed the idea of protein shakes as meal substitutes. He had a short, one syllable name, but I'll be darned if I can remember it! Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Monoborracho 01-02-08 03:12 PM

If you look back a year or so I'll bet the turnover rate of regulars here is like a fast food joint?

Whatever has happened to

centexwood, NOS88, Velo Dog, Raketmensch, p8rider, lhernhardt, cruzMOKS, CRUM, others ?

solveg 01-02-08 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5909947)
There was another fellow I've been wondering about as well. His doggone screen name is escaping me, but he was a really successful weight loss story, and pushed the idea of protein shakes as meal substitutes. He had a short, one syllable name, but I'll be darned if I can remember it! Anyone know who I'm talking about?

There was picuomaha, but that isn't a one syllable name. He was the one that weighed 400 lbs and lost a bunch.

Digital Gee 01-02-08 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5910257)
There was picuomaha, but that isn't a one syllable name. He was the one that weighed 400 lbs and lost a bunch.

No, this guy was Zed or something. Man I hate memory loss!

The Smokester 01-02-08 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5910257)

I really liked the horse, or whatever it was.

CrossChain 01-02-08 04:23 PM

If something Serious ever happened to any of "us" who post regularly-- we might never know. Perhaps a special, small doorway to Heaven with a bike rack outside and a sign...."BFFiftyPlus Members Only. Remove Cleats. Carbon Fiber Owners Enter Last."

solveg 01-02-08 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Smokester (Post 5910554)
I really liked the horse, or whatever it was.

OK, It's back! I liked it, too.

Tom Bombadil 01-02-08 04:28 PM

On other forums I used to frequent, a couple of regular contributors went silent, and a few months later it was discovered that they had died. One in an accident and the other due to a long, terminal illness that he had never disclosed to us.

solveg 01-02-08 04:32 PM

Yeah, I really don't like it when people don't post for a while. Yet, it's a pretty normal thing to do. But it's nice if you can see that they logged on and lurked, even if they don't have time to really read the boards closely or post.

Edit: Think about Terrierman recently, getting food poisoning from bad meat. There was a girl in MN who just got out of a 2 month coma from getting e.coli from bad hamburger.

Kurt Erlenbach 01-02-08 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5910725)
On other forums I used to frequent, a couple of regular contributors went silent, and a few months later it was discovered that they had died. One in an accident and the other due to a long, terminal illness that he had never disclosed to us.

All this happened before I started posting, but a guy named Sydney who posted a lot on either the Road Cycling or Advocacy forums (fora?) was killed while riding and his daughter started posting and discussing his death. I thought it was a very nice thing to do, and it seemed to matter to those who came to know him through his posts. I don't know any of you guys, and I suspect that none of you could pick me out of a lineup, but if one of you suddenly went to the Big Velodrome in the sky unexpectedly, it would matter. Maybe we should make a rule to put sign-on information on your Road ID in case something happens.

DnvrFox 01-02-08 05:21 PM

We had another guy - a bent rider who left us in the same way as Sydney (who was from Highlands Ranch, just a few miles from me).

But, I think folks get busy, or in some cases get mad or upset with someone on the forum. We have a couple posting on other forums, who, for one reason or another, no longer desired to participate in the 50+ forum.

jppe 01-02-08 05:50 PM

If you recall Will usually goes down to Florida the month of December and rides a LOT. Probably too busy riding to post. Didn't he retire from work as well??

DnvrFox 01-02-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 5911260)
Didn't he retire from work as well??

Yes.

Wino Ryder 01-02-08 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=Kerlenbach; Maybe we should make a rule to put sign-on information on your Road ID in case something happens.[/QUOTE]

I know it kinda sucks when you make a forum aquaintance of someone you like, or someone you look forward to hear from, just for that person to drop off from the face of the earth, never to be heard again. In effect, really, we are the survivors of that person's memory on this forum, wondering what the hell is going on with them, not knowing if they're still alive or not.

Maybe after about a month of non postings or non lurkings maybe the forum administrators (or anyone who cares) could send a pm or something to ask how that person is doing.

just a thought

Digital Gee 01-02-08 09:19 PM

I think the guy I'm wondering about is named Ned. He may have a vastly different screen name.

CrossChain 01-02-08 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5912701)
I think the guy I'm wondering about is named Fred. He may have a vastly different screen name.

Fred? Around here, that doesn't narrow it down much.

Red Rider 01-02-08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 5910926)
All this happened before I started posting, but a guy named Sydney who posted a lot on either the Road Cycling or Advocacy forums (fora?) was killed while riding and his daughter started posting and discussing his death. I thought it was a very nice thing to do, and it seemed to matter to those who came to know him through his posts. I don't know any of you guys, and I suspect that none of you could pick me out of a lineup, but if one of you suddenly went to the Big Velodrome in the sky unexpectedly, it would matter. Maybe we should make a rule to put sign-on information on your Road ID in case something happens.

Cgallag and I got Road IDs for Christmas; maybe I'll go modify mine now, just in case. Don't want to cause concern to my online friends. :)

Red Rider 01-02-08 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain (Post 5909727)
Man, I dislike it when people drop off the radar....empty chairs at the table. Have I been missing his posts?

I thought of him the other day while on a long ride during which I was dropped. :( Hammering isn't in my training program right now.

Didn't he announce that he was taking time off? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Digital Gee 01-02-08 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain (Post 5912720)
Fred? Around here, that doesn't narrow it down much.

Misquoted again. Story of my life!

Tom Bombadil 01-02-08 10:57 PM

Where is jp173?

Louis 01-02-08 11:23 PM

Where is Old99?

Tom Bombadil 01-02-08 11:25 PM

Frodo Lives!

Big Paulie 01-02-08 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 5913464)
Where is Old99?

No disrespect to the others, but I miss him the most! :(