Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I thought the Brits were nicer than us

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-02-08, 05:27 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3097464.ece

In case you don't want to click though, it's a column from a few days ago advocating stringing piano wire across roads to decapitate cyclists because we're smug and toss litter about. Stepfam, is this what the British think?
Old 01-02-08, 05:36 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's downplaying this insane article. It's a must-read.
Old 01-02-08, 05:39 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked this sidepiece on who's still alive and kicking:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/comme...eople-you.html

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-02-08, 06:56 PM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Yeah I thought that was pretty interesting too, because I honestly thought Ernest Borgnine had already died a decade ago. Also, its pretty cool Olivia DeHaviland is still alive. I liked her a lot.

But back to the OP. The brits, for the past 400 years, have always thought themselves to be the most civilized people on earth, and maybe to an extent they are. (the french may disagree, however). But no matter what. There's always a bad element in any society. The 'Times on line' editorial is just the english counterpart to 'Clear Channel', that we all know and love so well.
Old 01-02-08, 07:10 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goes to prove that even the effete and snobbish, beneath their bloodless and thin white skin, can be caught trolling. I say. Sounds like Hugh Grant on a bad day. Quite a bit removed from Stapfam.

Last edited by CrossChain; 01-03-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 04:33 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
Goes to prove that even the effete and snobbish, beneath their bloodless and thin white skin can be caught trolling. I say. Sounds like Hugh Grant on a bad day. Quite a bit removed from Stapfam.
Naw- We are all like that over here. Pig Ignorant journalist's who have the right to say what we like in a publication that we work for. This bloke obviously has a problem- Probably caused by a cyclist throwing his bike under the wheels of his Chelsea Tractor- (BIG 4x4) and him having to out on a big insurance claim. Attitudes like this occur all over- like the gun toting yobs in 4x4's that plague parts of the States. Luckily- the CTC (The cycling body of the UK) will be putting him to task for his statement and legal Proceedings will be taken.

P.S.
Have just written to the customer service of this rag to voice my views on advocating the murder of Cyclists.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 01-03-08 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 05:18 AM
BSLeVan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
P.S.
Have just written to the customer service of this rag to voice my views on advocating the murder of Cyclists.
Way to go Stapfam!
Old 01-03-08, 06:40 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read the next article by the same author, at the very end you'll find an "apology to the cyling community" (sic). Sort of.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 01-03-08, 11:35 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Too bad he chose to go so over the top to make his point. While calling for the murder of cyclists, even in jest, is inexcusable, he does make a few valid observations about the silliness of some "serious cyclists".
Old 01-03-08, 11:49 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, while in the U.K. (at least once a year for the last ten years), the average Brit does seem more friendly to a stranger (that would be me) than the average U.S. citizen. When asking directions, however, British women seem to be much more helpful than British men. Maybe just a coincidence.

And none of the Brits have seemed to be offended by my American accent. Nor have any (that I've met) had anything bad to say about cyclists. Perhaps I've just been fortunate. I'll be back in the U.K. later this month (Jan. 18 - 23), so I'll check this time . . . but I don't expect much change.

Flying into London Heathrow, Express to Paddington, Tube to St.Pancras, then National Rail to Birmingham for a cycle show (work) for four days. Should be fun!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-03-08, 11:49 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Luckily- the CTC (The cycling body of the UK) will be putting him to task for his statement and legal Proceedings will be taken.

P.S.
Good ! After 9-11 plus the Tube bombings the guy should be indicted for advocating terrorism, along with his editor (who approved) and his publisher (who printed).

Similar incident actually happened in Lubbock, TX.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=lubbock

The suspect was indicted for two counts of aggravated assault.
Old 01-03-08, 11:50 AM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheeta

Cheeta is STILL ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blog2006-04-07cheeta.jpg (83.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-03-08, 11:52 AM
hairytoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His dumb article has earned him complaints to the police for 'inciting violence', and over 200 complaints to the Press Complaints Commission.
Old 01-03-08, 11:59 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was really disturbing were the comments people made. I didn't realize people were so irritated with cyclists.
Old 01-03-08, 12:13 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the past weekend, I was riding behind a group of road cyclist made up of what appeared to be retirees. There were 7 or 8 of them, men and women, all gray haired. We were all on a road with a wide bike lane, plus AT LEAST 30 feet of ashphalt to the right of the bike lane. Gobs of room to ride safely.

The group was riding 2 and 3 abreast, and edging leftward out of the bike lane and into the lane of traffic, chatting away like they were the only people in the world.

Occasionally a car would honk -- not in a particularly aggressive manner -- and they would get visably agitated...thinking they were "put-upon cyclists harrassed by evil automobile drivers."

It was so bad, I almost started a thread about it in A&S, but let it go.

My experience is that, percentage-wise, cyclists are significantly less courteous than drivers. Is it any wonder cyclists are thought of in negative terms?

Obviously, this article is out of line by the measure of any publication...but it's easy to understand why there isn't more outrage towards it by the general public.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-03-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 12:25 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Purples and Greens.
Old 01-03-08, 12:28 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, Paulie, that some cyclists are discourteous jerks. But sometimes what seems obnoxious may only be assertive behavior for good reason. There are times where, with no shoulder, I'll swing out onto the road to make sure I'm seen, and then move back over as the approaching car (a) moves to go around me safely, (b) slows to acknowledge I'm there, or (c) gives no indication he's seen me and I'd better dive for the shoulder. Also, just staying out in a traffic lane at a stoplight, then pulling out slower than a car while clipping in and accelerating across the intersection seems to aggravate drivers.

In some cases, irritation simply stems from different points of view.

I'll omit stories of thrown garbage, getting egged, idiots who rush in front to make their right turn, the fool who looked at me last year and then pulled out of his driveway causing me to put the bike down in some roadside gravel, and then just blithely drove away. We all can relate those. This car vs. bike may be a Hatfield and McCoy thing.
Old 01-03-08, 12:40 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CC is right about assertive behavior being misconstrued by motorists...but on the same ride last weekend I also saw so much "cyclist junk" along the road (it's a heavily used cycling area) I would have stopped to pick it up if it hadn't been so late in the afternoon.

For me, the bottom line is that because cars are infintily more ubiquitous, and because they have the power to kill, cyclists have to assume the bulk of the responsibilty for making ourselves respected.
Old 01-03-08, 12:46 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I would be willing to bet that there are as many jerks in any one segment of society as in any other.

If I were being charitable, I would quote the corollary of that. "the other segments of society will have as many jerks as the one in question."
Old 01-03-08, 12:51 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
I would be willing to bet that there are as many jerks in any one segment of society as in any other.
If I were being charitable, I would quote the corollary of that. "the other segments of society will have as many jerks as the one in question."

Of course, BF50Plus is exempt?
Old 01-03-08, 12:57 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it wasn't for the Brits we'd all be speaking Dutch or French!
There's bad apples all over the world.
Have heard it on radio to 'hit those bicyclists!' And yes, been hit hard 3 times, so far, by car/truck.
Got 6 more hits to go and then my 9 lives are up!
Pedal on into 2008!
Old 01-03-08, 01:11 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
"unfortunately," he says introspectively, "any of I/we/us can be a jerk at a moments notice given some slight provication".
Old 01-03-08, 01:12 PM
Cholmeleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must realise that Matthew Parris has an advanced sense of humour (and is a famously gay ex-MP). The guy appears on TV game shows for Goodness sake. Do you Yanks have no concept of irony (answer = No!).

I can't imagine a more mild mannered gentleman than Matthew. He even keeps Llyamas at his home...

When a Brit says someone should be "strung up", they mean mildy chastised.

When a Brit says something is "not bad", they mean very good.

Get with it.....

Last edited by Cholmeleian; 01-03-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 01:29 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Cholmeleian;5916391]You must realise that Matthew Parris has an advanced sense of humour (and is a famously gay ex-MP). The guy appears on TV game shows for Goodness sake. Do you Yanks have no concept of irony (answer = No!). QUOTE]

Ahh, so he's really just a sort of professional "twit" and therefore not to be forgiven so much as disregarded. When one's humor and sense of irony becomes so advanced as to be removed from reality, a sort of hot house flower, then one sniffishly becomes irrelevent to the rest of us.

His "humor" reminds more of snippy adolescent with a thesaurus than a sharp and observant commentator.
Old 01-03-08, 01:31 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cholmeleian View Post
You must realise that Matthew Parris has an advanced sense of humour (and is a famously gay ex-MP). The guy appears on TV game shows for Goodness sake. Do you Yanks have no concept of irony (answer = No!).

I can't imagine a more mild mannered gentleman than Matthew. He even keeps Llyamas at his home...

When a Brit says someone should be "strung up", they mean mildy chastised.

When a Brit says something is "not bad", they mean very good.

Get with it.....
No we don't. Anyone that chooses to make a statement like this deserves everything that is going to be thrown at him. I don't care if he said it jokingly- If he makes a statement like this- Some of our society will take him up on his suggestion. Just watch out in the next few days for a cyclist running into piano wire or fishing line strung across a path.

The mere fact that he is an "EX" MP and Gay to boot does not give him an excuse for the possible death or severe injury that a cyclist could incur by him being a complete idiot. May I make the suggestion that he gets on a bike and rides down a specially prepared path and run into the death trap that cyclist have prepared for him.

I have enough problems with idiots causing me problems when I am out cycling- without someone with a following of imbesciles suggesting that they try to kill me.

If any of you do feel strong enough to voice an opinion- The link below is to the press complaints commision in the UK.

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/form.html

Spike Milligan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.