Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Big Storm Coming to San Diego

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-03-08, 10:17 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I expect nothing less than the full support and overwhelming empathy of the 50+ Forum. The article quoted below is from the San Diego Union Tribune, our local fish-wrap. It's forecast differs slightly from the local TV news last night, which tossed figures of 3" of rain around for the weekend.

Big weather week

By Monday, San Diego could double it's seasonal rainfall total. That's right. In five days, the city could match the 2.19 inches that fell the preceding six months. That might be overly optimistic, but National Weather Service forecaster Stan Wasowski said it could happen.

If everything plays out the way the forecast models are suggesting, the local mountains could end up with 6 to 8 inches of rain.

"Put the word 'possible' in front of all those numbers," Wasowski said. "Nothing is exact in weather forecasting."

Unlike last year, when storms moved down the coast but delivered very little rain, this time there's a subtropical moisture source. It stretches back to Hawaii. See it on the infrared satellite loop here.

Northern California should get pounded even more, with winds, rain and snow. The Santa Cruz Mountains could get 10 inches of rain, and wind gusts around the Bay Area could reach 45 mph. The Sierra should get several feet of snow. It could be the biggest storm up there in two years.

Down here, the rain is expected in three spurts. The first should hit late tomorrow afternoon or evening. That round should be pretty light, with San Diego getting about a quarter of an inch by Friday evening. The next round is expected to arrive late Friday and early Saturday, and that should be the heaviest. A third wave should hit Sunday morning, and that one will be the coldest of the bunch. The snow level should drop to 5,000 feet. ...

Last month did end up being the coldest December in San Diego since 1987. The average temperature was 54.2 degrees, or 3.4 degrees below normal. In '87, the average temp was 53.9.
The cold December bookends the year nicely. January, with an average temp of 54.0, was the coldest since 1966, which also averaged 53.9.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-03-08, 10:23 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something is wrong with an article that describes a month with average temperature of 54.0 as "coldest".

Here's hoping you and your mountains get all the rain you need and not enough to cause any problems.
Old 01-03-08, 10:29 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10520 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Since the trees are gone, does this mean that the mountains will be going to the ocean?
Old 01-03-08, 10:44 AM
SaiKaiTai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deeg
wind gusts around the Bay Area could reach 45 mph
And I'm waiting.
Old 01-03-08, 10:49 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
We need the rain, but not quite as much as predicted in a short period of time. We were thinking about skiing but the roads to Tahoe will be bad. It looks like it is on the trainer for the entire weekend.
Old 01-03-08, 10:52 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a cool 34F down here today. Floridians think it is the end of the world.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-03-08, 10:57 AM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why aren't you out training?

Lance Armstrong: "When it rains, I put on a rain jacket and go."
Old 01-03-08, 11:05 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
We need the rain, but not quite as much as predicted in a short period of time. We were thinking about skiing but the roads to Tahoe will be bad. It looks like it is on the trainer for the entire weekend.
Ditto. Sigh.
Old 01-03-08, 11:22 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
Good question! I'm still thinking about it . . . I do have a rain jacket, and I do have wool tights and wool balaclava, base layer, etc. And my touring bike has fenders (or "mudguards" since it's a British bike), but just suiting up and heading out into the rain . . .

I haven't done that since the start of the "Butterflood" double century in 2005. And I haven't ridden Glendora Mountain Road in the rain for at least a couple of years. Maybe that would be good. At least there shouldn't be gazillions of "Ricer" motorcycles up there if its raining!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-03-08, 11:29 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post

How do you know I am not? Maybe, it is tougher and better to be inside on the trainer depending on what you are trying to accomplish and the time of the racing season. But I am glad you brought this up. Did you ride last Saturday? Velodiva and I did and so did Red Rider and Cgallagh. Our training program called for 2 hours of riding on Saturday and we did it. We drove to Vacaville and rode our tandems together in the rain. We did not see any other cyclists on the road.

In LA's most recent book, the quote epitomized LA's success - nothing stopped him from achieving his goals.
Old 01-03-08, 11:39 AM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'm a hypocrite. For want of a nail, the shoe was lost, etc. I don't deliberately take off in the rain because, wearing glasses, they become steamed and wet and hard to see through. Not to mention me getting soaked and cold, etc. For me, as with Hermes above, rain soaked days are a good time to head for the garage and that ghoul Coach Troy. As for Lance, it goes without saying...............
Old 01-03-08, 12:20 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Good question! I'm still thinking about it . . . I do have a rain jacket, and I do have wool tights and wool balaclava, base layer, etc. And my touring bike has fenders (or "mudguards" since it's a British bike), but just suiting up and heading out into the rain . . .

I haven't done that since the start of the "Butterflood" double century in 2005. And I haven't ridden Glendora Mountain Road in the rain for at least a couple of years. Maybe that would be good. At least there shouldn't be gazillions of "Ricer" motorcycles up there if its raining!

Rick / OCRR
The worst part is the clean up and relube after the ride. After last Saturday's ride in the rain, Cgallagh and I spent a couple of hours cleaning the tandems and relubing. I have full fenders on the tandem and they work well but everything gets splashed with fine road grit. And the chance of flats goes up significantly since crud sticks to the tires. However, it is fun to do it and separates the men from the boys.
Old 01-03-08, 12:38 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you could be in store for California's other great weather related problem,,mud slides.
Old 01-03-08, 12:44 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
Unlike last year, when storms moved down the coast but delivered very little rain, this time there's a subtropical moisture source. It stretches back to Hawaii...
I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Things from Hawaii have proven to be much less potent than expected of late.
WOOF
Old 01-03-08, 12:55 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Things from Hawaii have proven to be much less potent than expected of late.
WOOF
I think they left their offense at home. Been a rough week for me, first Blue beats the Gators and then Illinois doesn't even show up at the Rose Bowl.

O Well, at least we got the Big Tuna messing with the fins.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-03-08, 01:03 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

DG, we will be sending this your way shortly.

Old 01-03-08, 01:05 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
DG, we will be sending this your way shortly.

Yikes! I'd better get in something soon, or I'll be riding in my yellow rain jacket!

Old 01-03-08, 01:10 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
I think they left their offense at home. Been a rough week for me, first Blue beats the Gators and then Illinois doesn't even show up at the Rose Bowl.
They brought it. They just didn't know it wouldn't work against a SEC defense.

Come to think of it, it has been a tough Bowl week for current and former gater coaches (Stoops last night).
Old 01-03-08, 01:16 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A town called Los Banos? Sounds like something an Hispanic Beavis and Butthead could go with.
Old 01-03-08, 01:29 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to buy fenders for the Cypress.... I don't know if you can get white ones, but I do know you can get silver ones which will pass as white if the sunlight reflects off of them...oops, it'll be raining. You're screwed.
Old 01-03-08, 01:35 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
Time to buy fenders for the Cypress.... I don't know if you can get white ones, but I do know you can get silver ones which will pass as white if the sunlight reflects off of them...oops, it'll be raining. You're screwed.
Actually, I have a question on fenders. Are they sort of universal, one size fits all? Easy to install? Etc.?

Old 01-03-08, 01:41 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They generally come in two different widths. One skinny and one wide. I'm not sure either will fit on your Roubaix. But, here's what I'm using on my touring bike with 32mm tires. They were easy to put on... maybe half hour at the most.

http://www.rei.com/product/723105
Old 01-03-08, 01:43 PM
swan652

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I expect nothing less than the full support and overwhelming empathy of the 50+ Forum".

OK. Count me in.
Old 01-03-08, 01:48 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Actually, I have a question on fenders. Are they sort of universal, one size fits all? Easy to install? Etc.?
There are a couple of solutions - clip on and full fenders. I have both and the full fenders are the only solution that really works and keeps the spray from the front tire off of your face and your back dry. SKS is a supplier. However, the clip ons are okay and keep some of the grit and water off the bike. They can be installed in a couple of minutes. The full fenders bolt on and some racing bikes do not accommodate them. This year we designated our tandem as the rain bike and put full fenders on for the winter. As I stated earlier, cleanup afterward is important to preserve your drivetrain. The most vulnerable (and expensive) to grit are the cassette and chain rings.
Old 01-03-08, 02:42 PM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I expect nothing less than the full support and overwhelming empathy of the 50+ Forum. The article quoted below is from the San Diego Union Tribune, our local fish-wrap. It's forecast differs slightly from the local TV news last night, which tossed figures of 3" of rain around for the weekend.

Big weather week

By Monday, San Diego could double it's seasonal rainfall total. That's right. In five days, the city could match the 2.19 inches that fell the preceding six months. That might be overly optimistic, but National Weather Service forecaster Stan Wasowski said it could happen.

If everything plays out the way the forecast models are suggesting, the local mountains could end up with 6 to 8 inches of rain.

"Put the word 'possible' in front of all those numbers," Wasowski said. "Nothing is exact in weather forecasting."

Unlike last year, when storms moved down the coast but delivered very little rain, this time there's a subtropical moisture source. It stretches back to Hawaii. See it on the infrared satellite loop here.

Northern California should get pounded even more, with winds, rain and snow. The Santa Cruz Mountains could get 10 inches of rain, and wind gusts around the Bay Area could reach 45 mph. The Sierra should get several feet of snow. It could be the biggest storm up there in two years.

Down here, the rain is expected in three spurts. The first should hit late tomorrow afternoon or evening. That round should be pretty light, with San Diego getting about a quarter of an inch by Friday evening. The next round is expected to arrive late Friday and early Saturday, and that should be the heaviest. A third wave should hit Sunday morning, and that one will be the coldest of the bunch. The snow level should drop to 5,000 feet. ...

Last month did end up being the coldest December in San Diego since 1987. The average temperature was 54.2 degrees, or 3.4 degrees below normal. In '87, the average temp was 53.9.
The cold December bookends the year nicely. January, with an average temp of 54.0, was the coldest since 1966, which also averaged 53.9.
As Sylvester J. Pu$$ycat used to say, "you're desthpicable!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.