Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cardio Riders

Old 01-03-08, 03:03 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cardio Riders

I posted this a while back on the Northeast regional forum but it might make more sense on this one.
How many on this forum have had bypass surgery?
I wound up with double bypass (thought the dull pain/burn on hill climbs and cold cycling days was heartburn..it wasn't)this past November.
It's one of the reasons I've done some posting on Bike Forums. Normally,I'd be far more active in the outdoors this time or year.
Old 01-03-08, 03:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a triple in 99 after 8 years of serious riding. I had no warning of mine whatsoever. Had it in August and one warning I can give you is that you will probably have to take the strain off the Chest for a few years. I had to go to suspension on the MTB. Ruined the riding but did help on the jolts.

You are probably getting over the severe pain of the Op by now- but I was back riding after about 4 weeks. Only up and down the road and then I put riser bars on the bike to give me a more upright position with the hands further up and back. At 3 months I did a 40 mile road ride and got my HR up to 165- My norm before the op- on a couple of steep hills.

Just for peace of mind- I got a heart monitor. Just a cheap one that shows current heart rate. Gave me the confidence to push myself just a bit harder on each bike ride. It will take a couple of years before you are back to your old self- but a bypass has given you a re-conditioned heart. Not as good as a new one- but a lot better than the old one was.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-05-08, 05:25 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Addendum

You will probably be on Beta Blockers. They are required right now but they will cut your Heart rate a lot. I struggled to get above 130 and at that I was breathing hard and not able to put the effort in. I did come off them after a year but the way I managed to get the HR up at 3 months was to take the BB the night before the ride and take one immediately afterwards. And if you are going to do something stupid like come off the BB's or go for a long ride after only 3 months, do it with the advice of your doctor.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-05-08, 08:48 AM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a triple bypass in July 2000. Unfortunately I was a couch potato before and after the bypass, so I noticed no change in conditioning, other then I was finally able to dig out a tree stump. Said digging before is what brought on some chest pressure and I finally went to a doctor. I only chime in because I believe Stapfam is right about the beta blockers. I'm still on them and have been unable to increase my average speed on bike above 14 mph. I just may try delaying the morning pill till after the ride. Not that sure pill is still required. Seems my doctors over medicate and never take you off.
Old 01-06-08, 10:24 PM
Mobiker50
Simulated Tough Guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No bypass, but heart attack, defibrillator and a plethora of cardiac issues. I have a thread on Training and Nutrition on "training with a heart condition." I'm always happy to see someone discussiing these things, thereby spreading the knowledge around.
Old 01-07-08, 07:03 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cardio riders

The reason for posting regarding cardio riders,is because prior to (and I live in the northeast so haven;'t been out on the road-only mag trainer-sence the operation in november)I cycled at a pretty fair clip (16-22 mph depending on the crowd.
I probably won't be back kayaking or road cycling till late april (the paddling may be longer as it uses the upper chest/shoulder muscles)and I'm intent on running my activities by a cardiologist beforehand.
Yes, I'm currently on beta blockers. 12.5mg lopressor 2x daily.
Because my HR was low before the surgery,the fact it is now 105-131 during exercise on the mag trainer
is unsettling. However; the HR seems to return into the normal (for me..I also have copd)hi 80s low 90s region a lot quicker than before.
The caution regarding problems with the chest road cycling is a bit disturbing. I guess I'll have to work up and see how things are. I'm sort of a road cycling junkie (like runners who you'll see out in all kinds of weather)"If the roads are dry and the temp is over 55,I'm out cycling".
I'd hate to find I couldn't return to that.
Thanks for the input**
Old 01-07-08, 12:30 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ranger-

If you can build up some upper body strength- you may not find the Ride position change a great deal- but that breast bone will be tender and "Fragile" for a couple of years. Fact was that I was on the bike pretty quick and it did hurt. And at 3 months I did a very hilly ride. That resting heart rate is what I saw as my norm after the bypass but it has dropped a bit now. The only way a bypass is going to slow you down is if you let it- But do give it a couple of years before you test it to the extreme- Build up to it gradually.

Spike Milligan