Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Year 1st Ride, cold weather gear recommendations?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-04-08, 04:53 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Suited up in 3 layers and braved the cold to get in a 12 mile flat ride. The wind was probably 10-15mph at my back on the way out, and the same in my face on the way back. All but my feet and fingertips stayed warm. Anyone have any recommendations for a good riding balaclava and shoe covers? The balaclava I've been using has a neoprene ski mask, making it impossible to drink through without stopping to remove the mask. It's also bulky and restricts my head movement, but it is warm.
Old 01-04-08, 04:57 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
Suited up in 3 layers and braved the cold to get in a 12 mile flat ride. The wind was probably 10-15mph at my back on the way out, and the same in my face on the way back. All but my feet and fingertips stayed warm. Anyone have any recommendations for a good riding balaclava and shoe covers? The balaclava I've been using has a neoprene ski mask, making it impossible to drink through without stopping to remove the mask. It's also bulky and restricts my head movement, but it is warm.
Feet- Sealskinz socks- Hands-Sealskinz gloves. Face -Ski mask- Legs- Thermal long johns under the Bib Tights and body- As many layers as you can get on.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-04-08, 05:53 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My toes get cold too. I am going to start using some of those air activated chemical warmers. My hands stay warm in ragg wool gloves.
Old 01-04-08, 07:44 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a Cannondale balaclava. It's sort of like a heavy flannel or light weight fleece. The tag says it's 17% Alpaca & 83% Micropolyester. On me, this balaclava covers my mouth, but I can easily push it down to take a drink. It's light in weight and does not restrict range of motion.
Old 01-06-08, 11:34 AM
dendawg

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did ride 2 today! Warmer weather, low 40's, 8 mph wind. Got in 26 miles. Found a light weight polypropylene balaclava in with my ski gear and it was much more comfortable than the bulkier one I had been wearing. Problem was the toes. They were ice cold after about 15 miles. I think I would have done more distance had it not been for the cold feet. Fwiw temps here for the next few days are expected to be in the low 60's.