Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Totally, totally Discouraged.........

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Totally, totally Discouraged.........

Old 01-05-08, 09:10 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
I had a similar thing last year after the Solvang Century. It was on the left sitbone. However, in addition to a lump, all the skin peeled off. I went to a dermatologist who gave me two prescriptions and it took about 6 weeks to completely go away. The doc is a cyclist and told me I needed to get out of the saddle more. If you sit too much it cuts off blood flow to the skin and tissue and raises havoc. Let's assume yours is simple and needs rest, a doc and some cream. FYI...he told me to keep cycling just less and not to scrub the area. YMMV. This sucks but it is not the end of the world. Good luck.
Old 01-05-08, 09:34 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't add much more to what has already been said except to wish you the best.
Old 01-05-08, 09:58 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm with Hermes and others - do the research to find the appropriate doctor. You can also try different saddles like a Serfas RX or a Terry to allow you to ride a bit. One of those stubby little saddles (can't remember the name) may help too.

Post question on the regular Road forum, and post on other forums like roadbikereview general discussion.

Also, you're near Asheville - contact the people at the Chris Carmichael training center. This has to be a fairly common problem in the professional cycling community. They should be able to provide a referral

Post questions to the Cycling News fitness forum (http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=default#qa) or directly to some of the individuals identified there.

Again, you need to find a medical professional with specific expertise in this area. Absent that, you're unlikely to successfully resolve your problem.
Old 01-05-08, 10:15 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I can't add much more to what has already been said except to wish you the best.
+1, I hope you get well soon. Maybe just a rest will do wonders, I hope anyhow, good luck.
Old 01-05-08, 10:17 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,

With all the hill climbing you do, I'm sure you are not liking these recumbent recommendations, but there are quite a few riders who have temporarily used a recumbent to maintain aerobic fitness, then returned to their road bikes when they were able to.
Old 01-06-08, 12:41 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
I'm with Hermes and others - do the research to find the appropriate doctor. You can also try different saddles like a Serfas RX or a Terry to allow you to ride a bit. One of those stubby little saddles (can't remember the name) may help too.

Post question on the regular Road forum, and post on other forums like roadbikereview general discussion.

Also, you're near Asheville - contact the people at the Chris Carmichael training center. This has to be a fairly common problem in the professional cycling community. They should be able to provide a referral

Post questions to the Cycling News fitness forum (http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=default#qa) or directly to some of the individuals identified there.

Again, you need to find a medical professional with specific expertise in this area. Absent that, you're unlikely to successfully resolve your problem.
+1.

I wish you a speedy recovery and many more miles on the road.
Old 01-06-08, 12:47 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
I hope you're able to work through this problem and are back on the bike soon.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-06-08, 03:45 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish anyone could offer a reason or a solution but it looks like you have to pay a visit to the Doctors. Sounds a better suggestion that a recumbent- but even that is tempting rather than to cease riding for a while- And No-One has mentioned a Brooks- Perhaps they have too much respect for you JPPE.

There will be a solution but Have to admit that I had a problem on the Tandem- and tried adjusting the saddle a bit- Forward a fraction and down a bit seemed to help on that. Just gave me a more upright position . luckily a couple of rides and I could put the saddle back where it belonged.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-06-08, 04:39 AM
Poky

Bikes: Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. You've got to much into this sport to quit now. Please take all this advise and good wishes to heart.
Old 01-06-08, 07:25 AM
Carusoswi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to second previous comments, and, like a couple other posts, am curious to know what the nature of those "masses" might be. It's comforting to know that you've had them looked at by doctors, but it still doesn't seem right that riding alone should cause them.

. . . and, from a layman's perspective, it seems there must be some step you can take, some adjustment, perhaps some special padding or whatever, to stop the aggravation and turn things around towards improvement.

. . . just doesn't seem right to me that you should have to give up cycling for something like this.

Try to maintain a good attitude, keep looking for a solution, and, if you will, keep us posted . . . "but by the grace . . ."

Our thoughts and support are with you.

Caruso
Old 01-06-08, 08:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I'm with the others on getting a 2nd, 3rd, or however many opinions it takes, until an explanation may be found as to what the "masses" are. Bound to be a doc out there who can figure out what is going on. Echoing the sentiments of others here, don't give up just yet!
Old 01-06-08, 10:33 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm bad to self diagnosis (picture an engineer trying to solve a problem syndrome) and have done some research online. My guess is I have "Ischial Bursitis". Here's a brief explanation.

Ischial bursitis causes pain at the base of the hips where you sit down. The amount of time that you have bursitis depends on the cause of the bursitis. With treatment, many people feel better in about six weeks, but it may take longer for bursitis to heal.
Hermes is probably correct in that it was brought on by a sudden increase in activity........not building up for 100 mile rides . Probably also contributing factors were very minor changes in cleat position and saddle position. There appears to be several choices for treatment but all treatments include resting the darn thing. 6-8 weeks**********? That's a challenge unto itself.

A bent might be an interim exercise solution but I'd have to experiment with the position just to see if I'm still not aggravating that spot. Maybe I'll have to see if there is a Bent for Rent store around.........

While doing some searches I found a post by DnvrFx on bursitis in '05 from weightlifting!!!!!! I sure hope it's better by now.
Old 01-06-08, 11:14 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
A bent might be an interim exercise solution but I'd have to experiment with the position just to see if I'm still not aggravating that spot. Maybe I'll have to see if there is a Bent for Rent store around.........
One of the bents with a hard shell type seat, and a more reclined riding position, is tougher to get used to, but does a better job of spreading out your weight onto your back (leaving less weight where the problem is), so might be the best to try. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-06-08, 11:35 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have nothing to add except my sincere well wishes to you, my hopes that your butt gets better AND you find a way to keep on riding.
Old 01-06-08, 11:43 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
+1000 on the recumbent suggestion. If sitting in a chair doesn't hurt, then sitting in a recumbent won't hurt either, and it will keep you on the road. You deserve it, and if you take the advice, you will discover that's not a dig! Those were exactly my sentiments when I switched: I DESERVED a bike that didn't hurt to ride. Who knows - maybe after a season or so of not irritating the area, those cysts/growths will go away by themselves and you'll be able to return to your road bikes.

For now, I recommend test rides. Since bents are so varied, the standard advice is to test ride everything you can lay your hands on. Start hanging out here in the recumbent forum, and at Bentrideronline.com's forum. Find people in your area, find shops that carry them, and test ride everything from clunky beginner bents to sleek racers. As with road bikes, now can be a good time to find deals, especially on used ones.
Old 01-06-08, 12:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
This could get more complicated. Probably need a MD to help me figure out exactly what is going on but here is another possibility that is very similar. Appears NSAIDs and rest are a key to the therapy. Darn........

Ischial bursitis may occur as a complication of an injury of the hamstring insertion into the ischial tuberosity. Symptoms include pain while sitting and localized tenderness on examination. Initial treatment consists of rest, ice, NSAIDs, hamstring stretching and strengthening, and protection. Often a doughnut cushion will alleviate the patient's symptoms while he or she is sitting. Aspiration of the bursa and injection of a corticosteroid should be considered for recalcitrant cases. Rarely, surgical excision of the bursa for persistent pain and disability is indicated.

Ischial bursitis needs to be differentiated from ischial tuberosity syndrome. The ischial tuberosity is a swollen part or broadening of the bone in the frontal portion of the ischium, the lowest of the three major bones that make up each half of the pelvis. As the point of fusion of the ischium and the pubis, it is attached to various muscles and supports the weight of the body when one is sitting. Ischial tuberosity pain may be experienced by a wide range of athletes, including soccer players, cyclists, baseball players, figure skaters, cheerleaders and any type of jumpers or runners. It is often misdiagnosed as ischial bursitis, an extremely painful condition.

The ischial tuberosity is the point of origin of the adductor and hamstring muscles of the thigh, as well as the sacrotuberus ligaments. The forceful pull of these muscles, such as can happen during a variety of sports, as a result of a trauma such as a fall or other type of injury, or through the overuse of the hamstrings, as is common among runners and soccer players, results in a separation or detachment, also called an avulsion, of an open ischial apophysis.

The symptoms of ischial tuberosity pain are, plain and simple, “a pain in the butt.” Pain on the bottom of the buttock, especially when sitting and running is typical. The area may also be quite tender and sensitive to touch.

Conventional medical treatments may help relieve the symptoms of ischial tuberosity pain, but they do not address the root of the problem. By strengthening structural weaknesses in the body, pain associated with the ischial tuberosity may be alleviated permanently.

Other therapies including rest, anti-nflammatory medicines, physical therapy, and injection with glucocorticoid may help.
Old 01-06-08, 12:31 PM
swopie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried these yet?

1. Recumbent?
2. Get a second opinion from new doctors. And, if they don't have an answer, get a third and a fourth.
3. Rest it and get massages...might as well enjoy yourself until you can ride again.
Old 01-06-08, 01:11 PM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conventional medical treatments may help relieve the symptoms of ischial tuberosity pain, but they do not address the root of the problem. By strengthening structural weaknesses in the body, pain associated with the ischial tuberosity may be alleviated permanently.
Do you really think it's structural weakness in your case? I'd be surprised if that were true. I think your right on target recognizing your going to need help sorting this out.
Old 01-08-08, 04:09 AM
pel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you tried lowering your saddle. I know you have got it at the perfect height and angle. That is what I said to the bike shop guy when looking at a new saddle. So he just lowered it anyway - by an inch. It helps. Your legs carry more of the load.
Alternatively have you considered a recumbent. Might be just the thing for you. Again a mind set thing.
Seems to me the perfect saddle (pain free over any distance) has still to be invented.
Good luck
Old 01-08-08, 12:52 PM
LynnH

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of wishes from me also, you are an inspiration!
Old 01-08-08, 07:10 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe - Hits hard,as you ARE my inspiration for several of the challenges I'm strapping on this year. Please let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do to help out, as close as your phone. Talk to our friends @ the LBS, I'd bet Jim can perhaps shed some light on your condition, as he's wrenched for some of these pro teams. You will be missed @ the Polar Bear this Sat. if you can't ride! Recover quickly, so I can see you name on the list for AOMM, pass-codes are going out SOON.
Old 01-10-08, 10:15 AM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a sports med doc, but am an old tired and retired doc who loves to ride bikes, of any kind and description! I can't comment on these "masses" but as they have been checked out I suspect I know what they are - probably nothing serious just fibrous nodular thingies that are commonly seen. But get another opinion to be sure so you can relax about it.
As Blazing points out, if you don't hurt sitting in a recliner chair you will be just fine on a bent. To even think of quitting cycling without trying a bent for a year would be awful. There are enough personal testaments on this thread to hopefully calm your "Freddy Fears" and make trying a bent more palatable for you.
And don't believe for a moment that you will be slow or inadequate to bike with anyone your age and condition. In fact, just the opposite.
Actually IMHO bents would be the choice of a bike for many people if they could get over the stigma that some people propogate! Usually people who have never tried one or ridden one.
If there was some way to follow up objectively, I'd personally bet you the price of a good LWB bent (what I'd recomend for you) that in a few months time you'd be saying to yourself and probably publically on this forum "Wow! Whty didn't I do this years ago?"
Not trying to sound like a salesman, just giving sort-of-medical advice.
Old 01-10-08, 10:25 AM
edzo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
surgery,
recumbent,
then back on the bike like nothing happened.
Old 01-10-08, 01:07 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You said you tried a lot of saddles, but did you try something like the Fizik Tri Arione? Over time it will conform exactly to your body.

http://www.all3sports.com/product_in...d8d5d110a07b3b

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/saddle06.shtml

It sounds to me like you spent too much time with either the bike not fitted best for you or on an weak saddle.

Good luck. Worst case, go bents.
Old 01-10-08, 09:49 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm bad to self diagnosis (picture an engineer trying to solve a problem syndrome) and have done some research online. My guess is I have "Ischial Bursitis".
Wow! I had that a few years ago, but in my case it was caused by too much sitting at work and in the car. (I'd never had a real desk job or commuted so much prior to that time in my life, so my hiney just wasn't used to so much sitting.) The problem resolved itself when I got one of those sit-stand desks and I graduated from school, which ended my commute. I remember it hurt like a sunnavagun. I couldn't even sit for long in meetings.

Just because you have it now doesn't mean you'll always have it. I can sit for hours now, even traveling for days at a time. And taking up cycling hasn't aggravated it, either. Good luck! I feel your pain.