Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I hope his wife found him (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/376553-i-hope-his-wife-found-him.html)

jppe 01-05-08 03:25 PM

I hope his wife found him

I was out riding today and out in the middle of nowhere I saw a fellow cyclist standing on the side of the road with his cell phone. Unfortunately a stick had jumped up into his chain and wound up tearing off the hanging bracket of his rear derailleur. It was a beautiful carbon bike where you could see the carbon weave. He only had it about 3 months and I just hope it's just the hanging bracket and not the frame.

Neither of us had a chain tool-otherwise I could have helped him make it single speed. He was 25 miles from his house and it was at least that far for for me.

He was already on the phone with his wife and I was able to give them directions on how she could get to where he was. There wasn't much else I could do to help so I left him there. Thanks goodness for cell phones!

BSLeVan 01-05-08 03:40 PM

Please keep in mind that I ride carbon and love carbon... but... This is one of the areas that I hope is addressed in the design. Something as simple as a stick getting kicked up into the wheel the way you describe should not be enough to destroy the entire frame. I don't know what the solutions is, but I know if I lost a frame that way, I'd be hard pressed to go with full carbon again... unless I won the lottery and had money to burn. Hope is frame is not toast. Nice of you to stop and offer help. On behalf of all of us cyclist who have been stranded, it's guys like you that make me feel good about calling myself a cyclist.

megaman 01-05-08 04:14 PM

A few years ago I came across a cyclist I couldn't help, cause I didn't carry enough tools. Now I carry more including a chain tool. If I get stranded, I'd be hard pressed to be able to call for help.

I find it amazing so many cyclists don't carry enough tools to fix things enough to get themselves home.

Ken Brown 01-05-08 06:02 PM

The bottom bracket seized on my rental bike in Austria in October. My cell phone didn't work but I finally reached the rental company through the assistance of a good Samaritan. They told me it was in my rental agreement that it was my responsibility to fix the bike, but the Samaritan said there was no bike shop in the small town where I was marooned, any my tool kit had no bottom bracket tool. I was panicking but fortunately found out that there was a bike shop in another town, and there was a bus in an hour and a half. My partners went ahead while I waited for the bus, and found out that there was no mechanic that day. However he agreed to come in specially, and arrived just as my bus arrived. He only charged me 15 euros to fix it enough to get me back to Salzburg, about $22, which the rental company reimbursed. Can you imagine that happening here in North America?

All ended well but it is really unsettling to have a breakdown a long way from home. I guess things always work out, as I am sure it did for the cyclist you met.

Steve B. 01-05-08 06:04 PM

When I rode Kleins, that had no re-placable derailer hangers, I swapped the R derailer bolt mounting with a hollow aluminum bolt, that was designed to allow the R derailer to break at the bolt, rather then cause damage to the hanger.

I've re-used/installed this bolt on 3 bikes, never had to test it.

SB

buelito 01-05-08 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by megaman (Post 5930007)

I find it amazing so many cyclists don't carry enough tools to fix things enough to get themselves home.

Even more amazing to me is those that carry tools and don't know how to use them... I had a guy break a spoke on a ride, and he had no clue how to use the spoke wrench ahe had to offset the tension of the broken spoke. When I did it for him, with a few tweaks of the wrench, he was amazed... SImple enough, but if you carry the tools, you should know how to use them.

Nowadays the cell phone is the 'magic tool' that can get you out of almost anything, unless you are riding in some gorgeous place--that has no coverage (like Skyline Drive, in Virginia-- coverage is spotty at best)

train safe-

The Weak Link 01-05-08 08:29 PM

The Lemonds carry a lifetime warranty on the CF frame. I think that makes me sleep better.

Tom Bombadil 01-05-08 08:39 PM

I don't know of any major manufacturer who doesn't warranty their frames for life ... at least for defects. But if the damage is due to misuse or a crash, you'll be pretty lucky if anyone covers it then.

I would be very surprised if a CF frame was damaged by a stick in the wheels. It's a pretty hardy material.

Kurt Erlenbach 01-05-08 08:43 PM

One of my goals this year, as a relatively new cyclist, is to learn how to do some of these fixes. I am embarrassed to admit that I still don't know how to fix a flat ("Hello, my name is Kurt, and I'm a . . . [sniff sniff] . . . moron.") I always take my cell phone for just these situations, and I've used it on more than a few occasions. In fact, it's still down there in my saddlebag from today's ride and I need to go get it.

Digital Gee 01-05-08 08:48 PM

And, although bike repair seems simple to a lot of people, to others it's just not something that comes naturally. I firmly believe mechanical aptitude is not universal. Yes, these things can be learned. But (and I suppose I should only speak for myself) trying to fix mechanical things always drives me nuts. Bad enough I don't always know what I'm supposed to do, but then you add in having to use reading glasses that always seem to fall off when I'm trying to use both hands to hold something and before long, it all goes haywire. What's simple to some is simply frustrating to others. Thank God for cellphones for those of us who aren't so mechanically minded as others. I know I've said I want to learn these things, but it just doesn't come easily.

brucewiley 01-05-08 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5931313)
Thank God[/B] for cellphones for those of us who aren't so mechanically minded as others. I know I've said I want to learn these things, but it just doesn't come easily.

God invented cellphones?

BSLeVan 01-06-08 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5931281)
I don't know of any major manufacturer who doesn't warranty their frames for life ... at least for defects. But if the damage is due to misuse or a crash, you'll be pretty lucky if anyone covers it then.

I would be very surprised if a CF frame was damaged by a stick in the wheels. It's a pretty hardy material.

Didn't someone post about a year or so ago about a rear chain stay breaking when a stick got caught in the wheel or derailleur and then either hit the chain stay or caused the chain to hit it? If I remember it was a carbon frame and the manufacturer called it damage due to misuse. So, there was no coverage.

Monoborracho 01-06-08 09:26 AM

I was on a charity ride last fall and came upon this dude with a (looked new) Specialized Tarmac S Works bike with a flat. He didn't know how to fix it and didn't even have an underseat pack.

"Thousands for a bike...but not one cent for flat repair."

Texasroadie 01-06-08 10:05 AM

Hey guys, I just have to tell you that after a 20 year absence from cycling I've been riding again since August. My bike is only 3 months old and I recently changed my first flat on the rear wheel ALL BY MYSELF. Not trying to make any of you feel bad, but it's not very difficult. I'm a girl and I'm not very mechanically minded...

I do carry basic tools and my 78 yo mom with me most of the time (she actually rides also). We've both had occasions to use the tools, the mini pumps, and the cell phones we carry. Never leave home w/o 'em!

Texas Roadie

solveg 01-06-08 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5931313)
Bad enough I don't always know what I'm supposed to do, but then you add in having to use reading glasses that always seem to fall off when I'm trying to use both hands to hold something and before long, it all goes haywire.

I have 3 pair of these. Perfect for bike stuff AND* dog sport! They look dumb in this photo, but in real life, people don't notice until they see you take them off. They also hang down the right amount so they don't flap around. Warning: they are adjustable for head size with sliders up by the lenses, but if you have a huge head, they won't fit. The brand is CLIC, and the best price is on Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._SS400_.jpg

Digital Gee 01-06-08 11:21 AM

Wow...never saw something like these. I'll have to check 'em out. And I do wear a large hat size, so who knows?

solveg 01-06-08 11:25 AM

They'll pop off if your head is too big. Another alternative is simply those straps with the adjustable cord. I think they sell them in bike shops, I have them on my sunglasses. It would be a lot cheaper, but not as convenient.

PJones0012 01-06-08 11:30 AM

William H Macey used them in the movie "Wild Hogs". Geeky but effective.

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 5933541)
I have 3 pair of these. Perfect for bike stuff AND* dog sport! They look dumb in this photo, but in real life, people don't notice until they see you take them off. They also hang down the right amount so they don't flap around. Warning: they are adjustable for head size with sliders up by the lenses, but if you have a huge head, they won't fit. The brand is CLIC, and the best price is on Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._SS400_.jpg

PJones0012 01-06-08 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 5929763)
Neither of us had a chain tool-otherwise I could have helped him make it single speed. He was 25 miles from his house and it was at least that far for for me.

I understand that "roadies" have a concern about how much weight they carry. Weight your underwear recently? But come-on, not carrying a multi-tool is not real smart IMHO. Part of the appeal for biking is the self reliance. Carry a cell phone, definitely. Not carry the right tools, doooh! What's in your blow out bag?

ang1sgt 01-06-08 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 5931294)
One of my goals this year, as a relatively new cyclist, is to learn how to do some of these fixes. I am embarrassed to admit that I still don't know how to fix a flat ("Hello, my name is Kurt, and I'm a . . . [sniff sniff] . . . moron.") I always take my cell phone for just these situations, and I've used it on more than a few occasions. In fact, it's still down there in my saddlebag from today's ride and I need to go get it.

Kurt, Talk with your LBS. Some shops offer Clinics for Flats and Simple repairs. If you want to try it yourself, try the Park Tools web page and look at some of their instructions.

Chris

Digital Gee 01-06-08 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ang1sgt (Post 5934059)
Kurt, Talk with your LBS. Some shops offer Clinics for Flats and Simple repairs. If you want to try it yourself, try the Park Tools web page and look at some of their instructions.

Chris

I think all Trek stores offer this at least once or twice a month.

Ken Brown 01-07-08 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 5931294)
I am embarrassed to admit that I still don't know how to fix a flat ... I always take my cell phone for just these situations

Cell phones have become so complicated that you now need mechanical competence to make a call. We traded our previous one for a different model, partly because my wife couldn't remember which buttons to push. :o

Mobiker50 01-07-08 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Brown (Post 5938203)
Cell phones have become so complicated that you now need mechanical competence to make a call. We traded our previous one for a different model, partly because my wife couldn't remember which buttons to push. :o

Fixing tires is easier than operating my cell phone.

Beverly 01-07-08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Brown (Post 5938203)

When my cell phone has problems I take it to one of the granddaughters:o They always know how to fix it. They're always amazed that my cell phone only has phone functions.....no camera, no MP3 player, no web access....

Digital Gee 01-07-08 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5941438)
When my cell phone has problems I take it to one of the granddaughters:o They always know how to fix it. They're always amazed that my cell phone only has phone functions.....no camera, no MP3 player, no web access....

+1...kids always know how to make technology work.