Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Ride of '08

Old 01-05-08, 08:58 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
First Ride of '08

OK, I wussed out on the New Year's Day ride. No booze on New Year's Eve, but it was too blasted cold and windy on New Year's Day.

The temperature today in northwest AR was great. For my ride, it started at 59 deg F and maxed out at 68 deg F. The wind, on the other hand, was not so nice. Sustained winds ranged from 16.1 to 20.7 out of the south and south southwest. Maximum gusts ranged from 28.8 to 34.5. The first part of the ride was generally to the south, and it wasn't pretty. At some points, I had to go to the small chain ring and a fairly big cog just to make headway. This was one of those rides where you had to pedal down hill on occasion.

When I finally made the turn for home, it was as if I had won the lottery. Speed went up, effort went down, and wind noise disappeared. That sorta made up for being beat and buffeted for the initial part of the ride.

I saw only two other roadies out today on a route that is usually replete with riders, and they both appeared as if they would qualify for membership in this august group. I suppose we're a tough and resilient bunch.
Old 01-05-08, 10:22 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first real ride of the year today, too. It was too nice outside here today; I couldn't stand staying inside any longer. I had the staples removed yesterday, and felt pretty good during a 20 minute ride on my stationary bike, so this afternoon, I did a neighborhood ride on my Nimbus. It was just 9.8 miles, and I averaged a blazing 12.9 mph, but at 16 days after my lung surgery, I was just happy to be riding, and it was great to be back on a bike.
Old 01-05-08, 10:23 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been really windy down here as well, but it sure is fun, running with it, isn't it.
Old 01-05-08, 10:54 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had just the opposite experience on my 1st ride yesterday. Wind at my back on the way out, in my face for a torturous ride back. Temps in the mid 30's. 59-68 would be heaven right now. Plan on riding tomorrow, with temps in the low 40's.
Old 01-06-08, 06:35 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out for 22 miles yesterday. Temp made it to the mid 40's but felt pretty cold when the clouds moved in.
Today would have been better, but had too much to do.
Old 01-06-08, 07:08 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only did my first ride of the new year today it was my first ride in over a month. 30 minutes on the trainer out in Skippers garage with he on a set of rollers and I on a fluid trainer. Trainers are not quite so painfully boring if one has company.
Old 01-06-08, 08:27 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George View Post
It's been really windy down here as well, but it sure is fun, running with it, isn't it.
Yes, and the interesting part is that if you're running at about the same speed as the wind at your back, the wind noise vanishes. I rode in similar conditions today. On the way back I hit that resonant spot of my speed and the wind speed, and the noise vanished. I could hear my tires on the pavement.
Old 01-06-08, 08:49 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my first ride of year in today as well. Not what I planned. Wife wanted to ride, so that means a short ride on the local MUP. No need for bike shorts or water bottle. Managed to push wife to 8 miles at a blistering 7mph pace. Hopefully I can get her up to 15 miles by summer. My planned ride will wait till Tuesday/Wednesday. Waiting for last minute wind conditions to pick a day.