Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help Me Find A Cycling Specific Jacket

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-06-08, 04:28 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All these years of riding a bike, and I've never owned a cycling-specific cool weather jacket. I was riding with some folks today, and I must say I admired them in their Pearl Izumi gear as my old windbreaker flapped about in the wind. I'm looking for something that would get me through the cooler months in Virginia, where temps can range from the mid-thirties upward to the 50s. Any colder, and I might just ride the trainer.

Any recommendations?
Old 01-06-08, 05:12 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got a bright greenish-yellow wind jacket, Louis Garneau. The sleeves are removable to transform the jacket into a vest, which I did for the first time yesterday. This jacket has made a huge difference in cooler weather. Recently, I tried a ride in two layers of jerseys, but the wind cut through both of them. I donned the jacket, and the two layers of jerseys worked perfectly to keep me comfortable. The jacket is not lined. Also, someone would have to be beyond legally blind to miss this jacket. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 01-06-08, 05:20 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pearl Izumi Gavia should be perfect. I wear it from 30's to 50's. Good deals many places.
Old 01-06-08, 05:34 PM
CrossChain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two jackets....both cycling specific. For 30's/low 40's I wear an old Bellweather with zip rear pockets, a nylon windblocker front with knit back for ventililation. For mid 40's, sprinkles, cool wind I go with a Pearl Izumi cycling shell neon green. I wear the shell with underlayering a lot because it can be (important point!) scrunched up in jersey pocket, stops the wind, easy zip allows ventilation. Elastic cuffs and a zip collar are also importan-- and HiViz.
Old 01-06-08, 05:40 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you go to sierratradingpost.com and search on cycling jacket, there are many choices, from economical to expensive.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-06-08, 06:08 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not cheap, but my Christmas gift to myself was an Assos Airjack jacket. Didn't believe anything so light could be so warm but their wind block fabric is amazing. The pocket design is very nice too. 4 instead of the usual 3 and the side pockets are easily accessible while riding. 1 zip up pocket as well. Expensive but worth every pennny. I'll probably use it for x-c skiing as well.
Old 01-06-08, 06:27 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really love my Performance Transformer jacket. It's thin and light, but with layering underneath, it's plenty for the coldest days I ride, but it has to be pretty cold before you'll want anything more than one layer underneath. You can unzip and remove the sleeves, leaving a mesh-back vest. It's on sale for $54.99 right now.

Last edited by Bud Bent; 01-06-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 06:39 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
Not cheap, but my Christmas gift to myself was an Assos Airjack jacket. Didn't believe anything so light could be so warm but their wind block fabric is amazing. The pocket design is very nice too. 4 instead of the usual 3 and the side pockets are easily accessible while riding. 1 zip up pocket as well. Expensive but worth every pennny. I'll probably use it for x-c skiing as well.
With a heads up from the road forum, I posted info on our club site about Airjacks going for $203!! Only problem for me, there were only XL and XXL. One of my friends got the last XL, and another got shut out. The guy with the new one wore it Saturday, and he really likes it. Enjoy yours!
Old 01-06-08, 06:43 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jet.... I have a Pearl Izumi Vagabond jacket in hi-viz color. Till I got it, I hardly ever rode comfortably in the winter. The sleeves zip off so if you get warm along the way you can turn it into a vest. To my suprise, the zippers still work perfectly after about four years. It has three pockets in front and the vest pocket is perfect for an ID, a few bucks, or cell phone. I ride in mine in temps from the 20's to the 60's with one or two layers underneath. Its pretty much windproof and somewhat water resistant.
Old 01-06-08, 06:49 PM
dendawg

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
With a heads up from the road forum, I posted info on our club site about Airjacks going for $203!! Only problem for me, there were only XL and XXL. One of my friends got the last XL, and another got shut out. The guy with the new one wore it Saturday, and he really likes it. Enjoy yours!
The sizes run small. I would normally wear a large but got an XL, and even still its very snug with 2 layers underneath.
Old 01-06-08, 06:49 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Gore windstopper jackets and love them. Both have the zip off sleeves, two front pockets and a large zip pocket in the back that allows me to fold the jacket up and attach it to the handlebars if I no longer need it. This is a handy option when the temperatures get warm later in the ride.

Most brands will have something suitable for your weather.....just choose the options you want. The zip off sleeves are nice since it can double as a vest.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-06-08, 07:10 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a jacket. But for me at least the key to cold riding has been Under Armour. It's made it possible for me to ride comfortably where in the past I just wouldn't go out.

That said, i have an old Plumbline with a Gore front that's amazing, but usually too warm for California.
Usually my base, my jersey and a Performance Illuminite is enough.
Old 01-06-08, 07:47 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Go go Gottaridebikes and check out the clearance section-very very good value on some L Garneau jackets and vests. I just got a vest and use it from anything below 60 degrees. My arms seem to get too warm if covered with a jacket. Anyway, their vest has pockets in the back just like a jersey which make it very easy to get stuff out while riding.

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Mercha...egory_Code=OUT
Old 01-06-08, 09:12 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been very pleased with Craft products. The fit is right for me. I also like Pearl Izumi but I usually am between their Large and X-Large sizes. I currently have an XL PI Vector that is terrific except that it's a bit loose (the L was too tight). I just ordered a Craft Flex from Performance, they have a 11% discount on it now plus a 10% coupon (0001400000001601) until the 14.
These jackets offer just the right warmth (I had a warm base layer if needed) but their best feature is the wind blocking fabric in the front of torso and arms. That's means no extra wind cover to carry for cold descents.
Old 01-07-08, 10:15 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I shall cast yet another vote here for a lightweight Pearl Izumi cycling jacket, preferably in the Screaming Yellow color. In San Diego Conty, the only downside is that you will be dressed identically to half the cyclists you encounter on Pacific Coast Highway 101.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-07-08, 10:48 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
I prefer a thermal wind proof vest and armwarmers. If it is raining, I add a PI rain jacket. Here is a link to the thermal vest I have. http://www.velowear.com/category.asp...MENS-OUTERWEAR. I am not sure which one it is since I get it through my club. On colder days, I wear two pair of armwarmers. The vest fits tight and integrates with the armwarmers such that there is not any material flapping around in the wind. I have the classic green PI windvest and PI jacket. They are okay but on me there is too much flapping in the wind and the jacket is too warm once I warm up. YMMV.
Old 01-07-08, 01:07 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are plenty of Cycling jackets around but the most important thing about any of them- is that it must be made of breathable material.

I have several and the Ultimate must always be Goretex. Not cheap by any means but Being small- I managed to get mine half price in a sale and it is Cycling specific and fits- even after 10 years of redistribution of my weight. This is 100% waterproof, completely windproof and breathable.

Next down my line is a Polaris jacket. Cycling specific again but Mountain bike form and this one is not waterproof. Then I have a Nike Showerproof- Ideal for if it might rain just a bit but not fully breathable.

The ultimate for DRY- windy days though is Pertex.Breathable- lightweight- packs up into your fist and completely windproof. Not waterproof in any way-and no warmth to the material either. Mind you- if you get to the top of a climb and it turns cold- just keeping the wind away does retain body warmth instead of having it whisked away at 90 mph.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-08-08, 02:15 AM
nubikebuzz
no, the new new bike

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp 2001 Allez (steel)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my day-glow yello-green Canari wind breaker at REI for about $50. It has a soft velour collar, full vented back, and the sleeves unzip. It doesn't breath, but boy does it cut the wind chill like no other. With a warm jersey underneath, it makes riding in the low 30's possible. The best feature is the large rear pocket that the whole jacket collapses into with a zip to close it. Elastic straps then clasp around your waist to carry the stowed jacket.

If temps are only in the say high 40's to low 50's Louie Garneau's Speed TS Jacket is pretty nice with a long sleeve base layer. If you want to spend more $$ check out Rapha's lightweight softshell. They're both breathable and rain proof.
Old 01-08-08, 02:37 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got one of the pricey Showers Pass 2.0 Elites a year ago - expensive but simply a great jacket for both cool and wet.

- Mark
Old 01-08-08, 09:23 AM
The Smokester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Showers Pass 2.0 Elite.
Old 01-08-08, 09:40 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing, in addition to material, I would suggest you take into consideration... I've had numerous jackets over the years, and finally learned to try them on while sitting in my riding position. The way a jacket feels is much different standing up vs. in your normal riding position. And unless you want to get a tailor made jacket, it's important to get one that feels good.
Old 01-08-08, 09:49 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Can we assume you need something in Orange and dark blue????