Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So what hobbies/passions have you given up?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So what hobbies/passions have you given up?

Old 01-07-08, 08:23 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Fishing - bass, crappie, catfish, bream.
Bream... OK, if you're not from the south, what kind of fish is this, and how do you pronounce the name?
Old 01-07-08, 08:45 PM
nonpareil

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golf. Used to play competitively and even thought about turning pro at one point, but eventually moved west, got into cycling and backcountry skiing and lost interest in golf. It's too tame and time-consuming for me now, plus I find the whole golf scene to be too yuppie-conservative. Can't believe I ever used to wear white belts and kilties on my shoes. Made the mistake a few years back of beating my boss at golf and well, that was the end of that job.
Old 01-07-08, 08:46 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have cut way back on but have not totally given up hope on:

Fishing. My boat is 8 hours away.
Berry picking. My prime spots along with the chiggers, ticks, and mosquitoes, are 8 hours away.
Ham Radio. Was very active, but kids, job, and other responsibilities took priority.
Golf. Same as immediately above. I'm a better cyclist than I was a golfer, and that's still not saying a lot.
Deer hunting.
Gardening (veggies)

I'm still able to cycle, shoot, and hand load ammunition
Old 01-07-08, 08:49 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reiffert View Post
I've been a longtime hobby woodworker also. There is/was a thread on the Fine Woodworking site about burnout recently. Many of them were commenting on the burnout relating to having built much stuff in one design style more than just wood burnout. So many of the recommendations were about new styles to build skills in.

I still have a too long list of pieces I want to build - mostly functional like bookcases - but also wood turning (bowls, plates). The big problem for me is the 'garage' - moving all the bikes out, re-arrange the tools to work, clean up afterwards,.... So not much gets built.
Woodworking also. Built half the furniture in my house. I completely lost my passion for it. Sold all my equipment and never looked back.
Old 01-07-08, 09:48 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I love to shoot guns and reload ammunition, but its getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot.
Old 01-07-08, 11:01 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
I love to shoot guns and reload ammunition, but its getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot.
How so? There are post offices everywhere!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-07-08, 11:10 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
How so? There are post offices everywhere!

Old 01-08-08, 06:33 AM
buddyp

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Fishing - bass, crappie, catfish, bream. Probably the only hobby that really was pushed aside by riding bicycles. I still wet a hook or toss a lure now and then, but the best days to fish are also the best days to ride.
Same here. I think you nailed the reason too. If its a good day to go fishing, its a better day to go for a bike ride! Same with golf - I used to go to the driving range at lunchtime on nice days. Now I go for a ride instead.
Old 01-08-08, 08:00 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buddyp View Post
Same here. I think you nailed the reason too. If its a good day to go fishing, its a better day to go for a bike ride!
But, but... you can bike in the morning and fish in the evening and waterski/kayak/canoe in the middle of the day!

Oh. wait. I live in MN....

I took a short cut home from the car dealer yesterday. I live within 3 miles of where I grew up. I was within 5 miles of my house. I found a large lake I had never, ever heard of with a charming curvy road going around it! Never knew it existed!

Last edited by solveg; 01-08-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 08:47 AM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up skydiving...but not because of cycling. I found myself unemployed and diving is not a cheap hobby. Took up bicycling on my 20+ year old 10 speed (it was paid for and only needed some TLC.) and fell in love with riding. There was a 50 mile fund raiser for an orphanage and the entire 50 was on a rails-to-trails paved path going right through town. Thought I was going to die when it was over. Only had a month to get ready and hadn't touched the bike in several years.
Tried some golf and then a motorcycle accident with a deer ended that (a whole bunch of broken bones). Plus, if I have enough time for golf I can ride quite a while. Still motorcycle though about 10,000 miles per year. My wife will ride with me on that, but won't pedal.
Old 01-08-08, 10:14 AM
airbrake

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a short cut home from the car dealer yesterday. I live within 3 miles of where I grew up. I was within 5 miles of my house. I found a large lake I had never, ever heard of with a charming curvy road going around it! Never knew it existed!

You gotta get out more!! I wish I could find somewhere to ride that I don't know about.
Old 01-08-08, 10:49 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airbrake View Post
You gotta get out more!! I wish I could find somewhere to ride that I don't know about.
I know! I was really excited! Better than driving 20 miles to go somewhere new!
Old 01-08-08, 11:20 AM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buddyp View Post
Same here. I think you nailed the reason too. If its a good day to go fishing, its a better day to go for a bike ride! Same with golf - I used to go to the driving range at lunchtime on nice days. Now I go for a ride instead.
You need to find a stream where you can bike to go fishing. My usual fishing spot is up a dirt road in Waterton Canyon where most motorized traffic is not allowed. It's a great opportunity to ride the MTB up the road, fish for a while and then ride back.
Old 01-08-08, 05:02 PM
farandaway
"older than dirt"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done more things in my life than I can count. I must have ADD because I generally don't stick with things more than a couple of years. To name a few, there's sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, spinning, weaving, furniture refinishing, old house restoration, drawing, painting, swimming, track, aerobics (remember that fad?), baking, canning, freezing, drying my own homegrown fruit and veggies, a whole lot of cooking, making my own soap and candles, marriage, embroidery, teaching, writing, the list goes on. The things that have stuck are hiking, writing, and bargain hunting. I do love a bargain.

Will the bike thing last? Only time will tell. And who cares? For now, it's the bee's knees!
Old 01-08-08, 07:42 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by farandaway View Post
I have done more things in my life than I can count. I must have ADD because I generally don't stick with things more than a couple of years. To name a few, there's sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, spinning, weaving, furniture refinishing, old house restoration, drawing, painting, swimming, track, aerobics (remember that fad?), baking, canning, freezing, drying my own homegrown fruit and veggies, a whole lot of cooking, making my own soap and candles, marriage, embroidery, teaching, writing, the list goes on. The things that have stuck are hiking, writing, and bargain hunting. I do love a bargain.

Will the bike thing last? Only time will tell. And who cares? For now, it's the bee's knees!
Martha Stewart on a bike.
Old 01-08-08, 07:50 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
I know. She's WAY more girly than I am. Makes me feel inadequate in a weird sort of way.
Old 01-08-08, 08:08 PM
spry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I turned 50 I gave up using my age as a crutch.
Back at biking,windsurfing Lake Erie,learing at women in skimpy outfits.
A jovial demeanor will keep you from turning into that old crab sitting on the front porch,yelling at the kids to get off the lawn.
Old 01-08-08, 08:09 PM
monk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to be obsessed with golf. Played it all the time. But, I've come to the realization it takes too much time and costs too much money. Plus, it didn't keep me in shape.
Old 01-08-08, 09:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6188 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
I was involved in trap shooting before getting into cycling in 1982, but sold my guns and reloading equipment to finance bikes and parts. Then, in the late '90s, I got back in to handguns and shot a lot of USPSA and IDPA in the Winter evenings. I've since given it up, though I did consider joining an IDPA league again this Winter.

I also golfed quite a bit form '97 through '06, but only golfed once this year.

I've found over the years that I can't sustain more than one hobby at a time and cycling seems to have more benefits than most so I keep riding as other hobbies seem to fade away.

Old 01-09-08, 04:56 AM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- McDonald's french fries, Ky Fried Chicken - can't stomach them if I try one
- television , especially the evening news. Awful and depressing.
- All sports except cycling on TV - I thnkour teachers deserve more money than a guy who can throw a baseball, hit a 3 pointer, and did never did like Golf.
-

Gotta admit though I spend too much time on the Web surfing,
Old 01-09-08, 05:34 AM
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't given up anything, but have cut back on some...

Guitar playing - still manage an hour or so a day, used to do some gigs, solo and duet
Fishing - quit the freshwater kind, do a little surf casting, 3 or 4 times a year. Used to be much more.
Golf - cut way back, think I got out about six times last year. Used to get out twice a week.
Woodworking - pretty much stopped, with the exception of changing to wood turning. Do some bowls and
vases, and my current project is making and selling wine bottle stoppers to raise money for the 2008 PMC.
Old 01-09-08, 07:29 PM
farandaway
"older than dirt"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to be Martha. Now I'm (apparently, according to what I have learned on this forum) a total Fred.
Old 01-09-08, 08:43 PM
Lauraspark
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No longer do I waste much time cooking or cleaning house; hence I don't entertain as often.

These days, I only work late when absolutely necessary.

Before I started cycling, I did lots of step and floor aerobics (and, truth be told, my agility and ability to follow directions has suffered as a result...)
Old 01-17-08, 01:27 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Gave up running and golf when I compressed my spine and had to have it fused at 2 levels, to much pounding and cannot rotate to swing. Still racing motocross (since 1972) but riding areas and tracks are disappearing. Bicycling is my last and best release, besides my wife rides with me and that is a big plus for me.

Bill
Old 01-17-08, 01:41 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
I know. She's WAY more girly than I am. Makes me feel inadequate in a weird sort of way.
Take it from an insecure male, the easiest way to compensate is to arm your signature squirrel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
armed-squirrel.jpg (29.9 KB, 8 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.