Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So what hobbies/passions have you given up?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-07-08, 08:45 AM
airbrake

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since we are here we are obviously into bikes. What have you been into in the past that have went by the wayside. I have several. Running, at one point I ran 366 straight days. Took a day off and that was a slippery slope. Bowling, 2 leagues, 13 yrs, went cold turkey 16 yrs ago. Cars, restoration, hot rodding, especially 50's customs and Camaros. Too big a money pit. Camping, was fun till the kids were teens. They didn't want to go and we were scared to leave them home. Fishing, just lost interest. Working overtime, I was obsessed with making money. I would work 50-60 hrs a week or more. Then It dawned on me that if I had to work that much to live I could never retire. I stopped about 8 yrs ago and retired 4/05. Now I think I'm losing interest in woodworking, I've built hundreds of pieces of furnature and cabinets etc, and now I can't think of anything I want to build. I'm sick of the mess and all those tools staring at me every time I got in the garage. I really enjoy riding, but have to wonder if this to will pass. It's so frustrating to live in snow country. We are having a January thaw and I went out for 14 miles yesterday and the bike got filthy.
Old 01-07-08, 09:01 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I used to run for exercise and competition. I also autocrossed my car for about ten years. More recently, I was a competition aerobatic pilot. I have to say that a bicycle gives more of a sensation of speed than any of these activities.

Paul
Old 01-07-08, 09:15 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't given up much of anything. I don't run nearly as much as I used to, but I do try to walk at least five miles every day. I've also added playing the piano, which I really enjoy.
Old 01-07-08, 09:30 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I always hated running! I made a few abortive attempts to take up jogging but I just couldn't do it.

In me younger days, I was into springoard diving. I coached at a local high school, partly because I liked coaching and partly because it gave me an opportunity to do it myself. Had to give that up at about age 40 because my reflexes were slowing down to the point that anything happening in mid-air was MAGIC - it all happened so fast I could only tell by the landing if I'd done it right. Biking seasons and swimming seasons are on opposite sides of the calendar, so it's only coincidence that about that time is when I started getting more serious about biking?
Old 01-07-08, 09:41 AM
bemoore

Bikes: Trek 1000C, Raleigh M50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly due to a degenerative back condition, I've given up:
- Offroad motorcycling
- Tennis
- Softball

Cycling is the one activity that seems to actually help my back. Just about every other cardio exercise makes it worse. I still mountain bike occasionally, but nothing extreme. I'd actually characterize it more like hiking on wheels.
Old 01-07-08, 09:51 AM
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorcycling - after many years and lots of miles - I just have no desire to ride anymore. I think the bicycle has replaced it for my outdoor fix.

Playing on a racetrack in a car. BMW Drivers Schools - I've driven at speed on 22 different racetracks around the country. Made a 1-2 week vacation out of every trip - visited all the tracks I was interested in except for Lime Rock (it's a looong way from Albuquerque). Still drive BMWs - just not on the track.
Old 01-07-08, 09:56 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given up hunting, fishing, camping/backpacking, tennis, competitive martial arts, and home brewing. In all cases, it was primarily an issue of not being as interested as I was before, and/or the activity losing some of it's excitement or appeal. Hunting stopped being a challenge. Fishing started to bore me. Camping/back backing is still OK, but I'd rather cycle with a credit card. Tennis, fun but need to find a partner and some of my favorite partners stopped playing or are not longer around. Competitive martial arts, I got tired of being hurt and the high level of aggressiveness required to be successful. Home brewing was at a time when really good beers and diversity were not terribly prevalent.
Old 01-07-08, 10:07 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Softball in the early 70s, tennis in the late 70s, running and sailing in San Diego in the early 80s, in line skating last year, sort of set golf aside for now while focusing on cycling.
Old 01-07-08, 10:08 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11026 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
For more than a decade I worked as a professional soccer referee, at one point doing more than 200 games a year. When I retired from that I took a huge hit on calories in/calories out.....enter bicycling stage left.

My old district supervisor says I got out just in time.......assaults on referee's are way up. Not at all unbelievable to me. At one point my wife and I had about 60 youth referee's working for our soccer federation and on at least 2 occasions my wife had to prevent a parent from assaulting a 15 year old referee who was working an under 8 year old game in which scores were not kept She quit after that and I only lingered on for a couple more years. I wonder if this has anything to do with my dim view of SUV drivers on saturday mornings?
Old 01-07-08, 10:10 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
I have not given up anything yet, but then there are lots of hobbies/passions I have never started.

I just wish I had more time for my myriad interests, but my career is going far too well at the moment to let me bow out gracefully.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-07-08, 10:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
... My old district supervisor says I got out just in time.......assaults on referee's are way up. ...
Scary stuff!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-07-08, 10:11 AM
rainycamp
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bowling, fishing, camping, backpacking, listening to shortwave radio, running. Of these, only running was replaced by cycling. I just lost interest in everything else.

However, I'm still sticking with golf.
Old 01-07-08, 10:30 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gave up Motorcycles after riding them for almost 30 years. Almost lost my left leg in 94. Over a year of recovery. Still rode, but not the same. Soo, Gave them up in 97. Scuba diving was such a passion, I made it my living for 13 years. End of hobby for that one. Beware of turning your hobby into a living!
Shooting sports and target shooting. Used to love it. Hand loading, the whole 9 yards. No time or place to go where I live. I play and teach music for a living, so thats got to stay. Not really a hobby anyway. The only real hobby left is cycling.

Richard
Old 01-07-08, 10:52 AM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running - knees. Restoring BMW's - money & time. But there are always new hobbies calling.
Old 01-07-08, 10:56 AM
reiffert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a longtime hobby woodworker also. There is/was a thread on the Fine Woodworking site about burnout recently. Many of them were commenting on the burnout relating to having built much stuff in one design style more than just wood burnout. So many of the recommendations were about new styles to build skills in.

I still have a too long list of pieces I want to build - mostly functional like bookcases - but also wood turning (bowls, plates). The big problem for me is the 'garage' - moving all the bikes out, re-arrange the tools to work, clean up afterwards,.... So not much gets built.
Old 01-07-08, 10:56 AM
RalphP

Bikes: Atlantis, Jack Taylor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I moved from Unalaska, Alaska, about 8 years ago, I lost some amazing hiking, x/c skiing, archery, and money (making a decent living was a great hobby!).
Old 01-07-08, 10:58 AM
PJones0012

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't had sex in 2 years. Does that count? Or is that too much information? LOL
Old 01-07-08, 11:07 AM
airbrake

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez how did I forget motorcycles! 7 of em over 35yrs. Sold my last one in 06. In 2005, my first year retired I only rode my goldwing 1500 miles. I ride the bicycles more than that. When you crash and you and your wife are sliding down the asphault skinning all your protruberances, it tends to cool your fervor for motorcycles.
Old 01-07-08, 11:08 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things I have given up, pretty much totally:

Softball
Upland Game Hunting
Waterfowl Hunting (this one might come back some day when I have more time - I still have all the gear and a huge soft spot in my heart for this tremendous sport)
Night Hunting with Hounds - may go once in a blue moon with others, but I do not keep hounds and won't ever again.
Canoe Camping
The Bar

Things I have given up, more or less:

Fishing
Deer Hunting - may go once in a while with daughter, son in law and grandsons.
Watching or listening to sports on TV and Radio - they mostly bore me now, except the NFL a little bit at playoffs time - don't follow any teams or identify myself as a fan of any teams - Pro or College
Collecting Music
Church - I'm a believer, but don't attend regularly anymore, and likely won't ever again.

Things that drive my life, still:

My wife. Lovey is the real deal.
My Terriers, hunting, trialing, and just being around them. Fascinating animals.
Cycling, so I can stay around as long as possible for the two items immediately above.
Old 01-07-08, 11:09 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surfing left Calif. for Texas
Running/Triathlons got tired of foot injuries and constant time spent on swimming,running and biking
cut out everything but biking and weight lifting.
Auto/restoration became to expensive/time consuming.
shooting just kind of let it go gave me some bad memories
Old 01-07-08, 11:10 AM
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given up running, rock climbing and mountain climbing due to knee problems and other joint issues. The real killer on the mountain climbing was when a buddy and I did Dream Weaver on Mt Meeker. It just about did us in with a 2am start and a return to the car at about 5pm. We could take that, but when a young guy passed us on the way down and said "Excuse me sir", we knew our best days were behind us.

I still enjoy flyfishing and woodworking. I use only hand-powered woodworking tools, so it gives me a workout as well.

Ted
Old 01-07-08, 11:10 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I set aside golf. To an extent hiking as well, but, still do some hiking with my wife from time to time.
Old 01-07-08, 11:28 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to race my slalom C1 and train twice a day in it. I think I paddled the river about 6 times this past year. I actually take my daughter in the tandem canoe more than I paddle my race boat. I used to fish a lot more. Haven't been in a couple of years. We would hike more too. Much of that has to do with other factors besides cycling. My lower back started taking issue with the slalom boat and having a child these past 7 years has changed priorities quite a bit.

I still enjoy those other activities, but I feel rusty at them when I do. My fly rod needs more attention and my upper body strength isn't what it should be for aggressive boating. Oh well.
Old 01-07-08, 11:30 AM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Participated in, but eventually gave up:

Baseball (as a teenager)
Music (as a teenager...garage bands)
Filmmaking (amatuer and professional)
Free flight model glider flying (loved it, but too much traveling to distant flying fields)
Radio control model glider flying (didn't like it that much)
Kart racing (after you learn how to drive...no fun, just expensive. Stapfam would have kicked my ass)
Softball as an adult (wife's company related, not fun)
Hardball (again) as an adult (loved it, but my knees finally gave out)

Never got into skiing or golf or full size glider flying, because I know I'd love them, and don't have the time or money.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-07-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 12:18 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working late at my place of business, brain surgeries, watching television all evening, sumo-wrestling, and sky-diving.

Okay ... working late at my place of business and watching television all evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.