Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I may have found a temporary solution

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-07-08, 08:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

for the butt pain.

I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered I had a really, really cushy saddle from when I first started riding about 6-7 years ago. It must really be a sad state when you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about riding, saddles, etc.

The cushy saddle has been on my mountain bike which currently hangs from the garage ceiling. I took it off the bike without even having to get it down from the ceiling. The saddle is a cheap Serfas that has a synthetic cover but is filled with about 3 inches of closed cell foam. I'll need to drop the seat post on my Madone a few inches just to get the height correct. Anyway, I'll give that a try and see if I can still ride without aggravating the "Ischial Bursitis".

It's also nice having an in-house acupuncturist (spouse in her 4th and final year of schooling) to get some treatments. I figured the treatments only cost me about $40,000.

If this doesn't work it's probably no riding for at least a month-unless I can find a loaner bent.
Old 01-07-08, 08:11 PM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
for the butt pain.

I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered I had a really, really cushy saddle from when I first started riding about 6-7 years ago. It must really be a sad state when you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about riding, saddles, etc.

The cushy saddle has been on my mountain bike which currently hangs from the garage ceiling. I took it off the bike without even having to get it down from the ceiling. The saddle is a cheap Serfas that has a synthetic cover but is filled with about 3 inches of closed cell foam. I'll need to drop the seat post on my Madone a few inches just to get the height correct. Anyway, I'll give that a try and see if I can still ride without aggravating the "Ischial Bursitis".

It's also nice having an in-house acupuncturist (spouse in her 4th and final year of schooling) to get some treatments. I figured the treatments only cost me about $40,000.

If this doesn't work it's probably no riding for at least a month-unless I can find a loaner bent.
I beg to differ. It is a gift to find solutions in the dead of the night. I hope it works.

Last edited by BSLeVan; 01-08-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 11:25 PM
CrossChain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fingers crossed for you, jppe! Easy does it.
Old 01-08-08, 01:09 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see a lot of out of the saddle riding in the future till you find a cure.

I have such a variety of old saddles in the shed but Like you- I have the ones that work. The saddle that came on Boreas- I have been using for 6 months and it worked from Day I. A Fizic- Alliance. Then it suddenly went off. Luckily I has a spare saddle on the OCR that was being sold. Funny how a change in the butt can cause so much pain.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-08-08, 01:58 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well good luck, nothing is worse than a sore tookus.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-08-08, 03:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
So the recumbent might not happen? Too bad, you were going to be a lab rat for us.

If you rode the bent for a few months, then spontaneously grew a gray beard and acquired a 50-lb beer belly, we'd know the bent caused it.
Old 01-08-08, 03:30 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
So the recumbent might not happen? Too bad, you were going to be a lab rat for us.

If you rode the bent for a few months, then spontaneously grew a gray beard and acquired a 50-lb beer belly, we'd know the bent caused it.
My recumbent caused the butt pain. Last fall, I was riding it in a century and took a quick break down a short steep hill. Starting back up I lost control and fell over downhill, sliding sideways out of the seat and landing butt first. It hurt a lot, but I was able to complete the other 60 miles of ride. After that, I could ride my other bikes without pain, but sitting on the recumbent, or in a chair for too long hurt.

I was advised to give it a while to heal. I think I fractured my tailbone. Time is up and now with a new spring I hope to be back on it.