Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trainer+HRM=less boredom

Old 01-08-08, 09:23 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainer+HRM=less boredom

I asked for and got a Timex HRM (model T5H881) from my wife this Christmas, and bought a suitable companion book (The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Cyclists, Velo Press) as a guide.

Perhaps it's just the novelty, but doing more structured workouts and having to pay attention to my heart rate on the trainer sure helps the time go by and provides just the extra motivation I need!

I'm hoping I'll start the season this Spring a bit lighter, a lot stronger, and not get dropped on those first few fast club rides.
Old 01-08-08, 09:34 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While there might be some novelty involved, I hope the new monitor retains its appeal over time. Anything to help with the boredom of the dreaded trainer is worth a shot. The structured workouts have the potential for big returns this summer.
Old 01-08-08, 09:46 AM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think heart rate monitors can tell you a lot. As I'm sure the book suggests, one of the keys is figuring out your maximum heart rate and then setting your zones. Don't go buy the age-related norms.
Old 01-08-08, 09:48 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
I think heart rate monitors can tell you a lot. As I'm sure the book suggests, one of the keys is figuring out your maximum heart rate and then setting your zones. Don't go buy the age-related norms.

Determining your maximum HR is such fun isn't it!!!! Try to not black out or throw up all over your bike and new HR monitor!!!
Old 01-08-08, 11:45 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
Agreed. I did three of the suggested "sub max" tests and averaged the resulting estimated Max HR results. They all fell between 190 and 200 so I'm using 195 as my est. max.