Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you call flat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you call flat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 10:53 AM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Western NC most rides of length average around 100' per mile. If I seek out a flat ride I can get that down to 50' per mile. Then there are the specific climbing rides that have for example 8700' of gain in 58 miles and all of the climbs are 8% or better. After a while you just don't think about it anymore.
Old 01-09-08, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
??? Your area is flat next to the rivers?
I can't even imagine that. We have huge bluffs next to the Mississippi.
Yeah, just 1/4 mile from my house is a river trail that runs 30 - 40 miles with nary a rise in sight. On the other side of the river there are some rolling hills, but in this part of PA, the river isn't running through any mountains.
Old 01-09-08, 11:24 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In West Virginia the only flat trails that exist are those that run beside rivers. That's why the train tracks almost always run besides the rivers.

The Cannon Valley Trail up by you, Solveg, is the same way. It runs down alongside the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to Red Wing. Almost 20 miles long and it drops 115' from Cannon Falls to Red Wing. I very much enjoyed riding it last fall.
https://www.cannonvalleytrail.com/

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-09-08, 11:25 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Now that's not flat!....
Tell me about it. When we first moved here and restarted cycling this was what we faced. We now agree with the others in the area that this is a flat ride. Our club rides only use this route if it is raining to avoid steep descents. Normal club rides go up Skyline to make it more challenging.
Old 01-09-08, 12:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If I stand at the top of the slope and look more down than along to see the start of the rise- Then it is not flat. If the heart rate gets above 160 and I am only doing 5mph- it is not flat. And if the ride stats before the ride say you might need a 28 rear sprocket- it is not flat. But Ventoux was just a slope- a very long one but not bad,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Downsview.JPG (21.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: gif
north.gif (8.5 KB, 13 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-09-08, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Flat is flat. Then there's 'mountainous.' You're somewhere in between. That first climb is about 350 feet more than a flat ride would have.
Old 01-09-08, 01:19 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer your question: Paris Hilton.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-09-08, 01:53 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
i had this teed up waiting for the appropriate time not wanting to be the first.

"Flat is flat. Then there's mountainous." Blazingpedals.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-09-08 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL Hermes!!
Old 01-09-08, 03:29 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(ignoring Hermes' post)

Here in central Ohio, it is all flat, except short runs down into or out of the ravines of creeks or rivers. Not even little rolling hills until one travels 60 miles or so east, south, or northeast. In my neighborhood, the streets do cross a ravine & the longest up slope is about 0.2 mile. I don't know how I will gain the fitness to tackle real hills on a trip or tour, which I hope to do next year, since I can't travel to the hilly areas even weekly.
Old 01-09-08, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I live in St Charles, Missouri. (Actually I live in St Peters but the post office thinks that my condo is in St Charles.) Anyway, north of St Charles is a large area of bottom land between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. It is as flat as the top of a table. There is a railroad track running through it that is raised about 6 feet. That's it. It's possible to put together a pretty nice 50 or 60 mile ride with only that 6' climb whenever you cross the railroad track.
Old 01-09-08, 05:54 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For those of you who live in flat country.............Connecticut isn't. It's not the Alps, but it isn't Kansas either.
East Arkansas = Flat
West Arkansas = Not Flat

Mind you, the dividing line between these runs down a diagonal southern west to northern east and excepting Crowley's Ridge near the Mississippi. There's riding for anyone in Arkansas.

Old 01-09-08, 06:01 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple...several, years ago some guy scientifically proved {in his terms} that Kansas is flatter than a pancake. Statistics don't lie, or can they...
peace
Old 01-09-08, 06:13 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live there is not alot of flat. Basically just a stretch of PCH that runs about 15 miles, otherwise you are either going up or down. We tend to call things "flat" if the grade is less than 3%

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-09-08, 06:18 PM
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have lots of flat rides east of town (but they are usually windy) but west is very hilly. We can pretty-much choose our ride profile. I live on the west side of town and any ride that starts from my house is hilly. We have most of the steepest hills in town within a few miles of my house.

-soma5
Old 01-09-08, 06:33 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Here in Western NC most rides of length average around 100' per mile. If I seek out a flat ride I can get that down to 50' per mile. Then there are the specific climbing rides that have for example 8700' of gain in 58 miles and all of the climbs are 8% or better. After a while you just don't think about it anymore.
Right, in Raleigh there are plenty of gentle hills, but you have to go to eastern NC to get flat. Once you go east of Wilson, it's hard to find a hill. That's why the MS 150 is held in New Bern, just plain flat.
Old 01-09-08, 06:37 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you who live in flat country.............Connecticut isn't. It's not the Alps, but it isn't Kansas either.
Man...I need to figure out how to topo the Seagull Century route near Salisbury, MD. The two big "climbs" are the highway overpass and the bridge onto Assateague Island!
Old 01-09-08, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is Colchester, midway between Hartford and the coast. A good portion of inland CT is much worse than this. The area that you are describing west of Springfield MA is much worse. My Rides usually stay under 500 feet but the area looks like one of those egg crate foam pads, up...down...up...down. An average day involves about 100ft per mile. You get to go down that much also...

The little slope on the left is what happens every time I leave home...............that means I have to go back up it every time I get home.........
Ahh...? 100 feet per mile is a 1% grade, I call that flat. 3% is hilly, 5% mountainous, and 8% is murder. Of course it depends some upon how long the grade is too. Railroad beds usually are under 2%. 5%+ usually has "Truck Speed Limit 35MPH" signs.
Old 01-09-08, 07:08 PM
Kamek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Connecticut last month. It is very, very hilly. I live in eastern TN, which is also an extremely hilly area. Flat to me is places like, say, Chicago or maybe a lot of the Plains.

Portland, Maine (where I spent Christmas eve) is flat in some parts. It isn't nearly as hilly as what I'm used to, and I really don't like hills much.
Old 01-09-08, 07:10 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
Ahh...? 100 feet per mile is a 1% grade, I call that flat. 3% is hilly, 5% mountainous, and 8% is murder. Of course it depends some upon how long the grade is too. Railroad beds usually are under 2%. 5%+ usually has "Truck Speed Limit 35MPH" signs.
You know it's all relative. I remember when I started riding I thought freeway overpasses were hills, now they are just something to attack. Since it's almost impossible to do a flat ride where I live, stuff most folks would call rolly is considered flat here. I have this argument with members of the bike club all the time. I'll talk about the grade going out on some road and most will say what grade? Most of all climbs are 5 - 8% and we have a few long hills over 8% (I struggle). Of course mountain biking is a whole other thing! Worse hill I ever did was in Utah, 12 - 15% for 3/4 of a mile and then it leverled to 10% for the last 2 (had to stop half way up). There is a Century in Bakersfiled called Spooktacular with a entry called the Hidious 100 where the grade for 35 miles is 8 - 15%. Actually there are lots of steep climbs in California. We do have mountains you know!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-09-08, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mississippi Delta is FLAT! Only about 100' of elevation change, north to south, in over 200 miles!!

We have an MS 150 that I've done several times, though, from Clinton to Vicksburg, that has over 4000' of climbing each day. It's not in the Delta, of course.
Old 01-09-08, 08:38 PM
Hanging On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by graywolf
Ahh...? 100 feet per mile is a 1% grade, I call that flat.
It's actually about 1.9%. 100/5280 = 0.0189, to 3 decimal places. It's still flat, though.

-soma5
Old 01-09-08, 08:39 PM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a choice of rolling hills, flats, and serious climbing right out our back door. This is a profile of Cantelow Road. It is 7 miles from our house to the top so the profile is copied from one of the Davis Cycling groups. Our house is around 120 ft and we get a bit of rollers to warm up. It is a good workout to do repeaters from both sides. We do the ride as shown with the other side being a real booger.

This is a profile of Mix Canyon. This is a real workout. Notice that it is higher than Ventoux but only about 4.5 miles from a starting elevation of 330 ft. I did the first 3.5 miles on my compact and thought I was going to die. When the weather clears and the days get a little longer, this will be my hill workout more often. If you really want to climb you can go over Cantelow, ride about 3/4 miles down Pleasants Valley and face this.
Old 01-09-08, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a 30.52 mile ride in Sarasota last year that had 344 feet of climbing. THAT is flat.
Old 01-09-08, 09:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Here is one of the most popular local rides around here. 2,200 ft cumulative elevation gain in 30 miles. 11.4% max grade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.