Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do you call flat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What do you call flat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 09:33 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
And a brutal MTB trail. 690 ft in 4.3 miles.
Old 01-09-08, 10:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my favorite trails, the Military Ridge Trail, "climbs" about 330' over the 13.5 mile stretch that I ride, with about 300' of that being in the last 5 miles. It tops out in a beautiful small town named Mt. Horeb. I usually get a bite to eat while there and shop around a little. Then I ride back to the start for a 27 mile round trip.

The route up has very little up and down to it, just a long, steady, slight uphill slope. On the ride back, over the first 5 miles, I usually ride at around 17-18 mph, above that on the limestone surface feels squirrelly. I always love that downhill stretch.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-09-08, 10:07 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
Ahh...? 100 feet per mile is a 1% grade, I call that flat. 3% is hilly, 5% mountainous, and 8% is murder. Of course it depends some upon how long the grade is too. Railroad beds usually are under 2%. 5%+ usually has "Truck Speed Limit 35MPH" signs.
So over 100 miles, 100' per amounts to 10,000' of climbing. Do you still consider that flat? Unless you ride a steady consistent grade with no descent will it only grade out at 1.9%. Usually there are much steeper grades, some flat and some down.
Old 01-09-08, 10:18 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Everyone who hasn't seen much of the state thinks Texas is flat. There is one particular poster here who always goes on and on about the treeless plains north of Dallas where he lived as a child. Evidently he didn't get out much..

Then someone thinks, "Gosh, I wonder where Lance learned to climb hills"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0349.JPG (50.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-09-08, 10:36 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many think the same thing about Wisconsin, and it is true for portions of the state. But they hold a 300 km race here in the hilly section that has 22,000' of elevation gain over its course. All in the form of rollers.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-09-08, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is NOT flat

I rode this the last 2 years. Definitely not flat.
Attached Images
100mi_elev.jpg (46.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-10-08, 05:27 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
To summerize so far, it would appear that most of us ride in an area like mine and 1000 to 1500 ft of total climbing would be considered "normal" for a ride. The second largest group rides on what most of us would consider pool tables (and I have made note of these places and added them to my list of retirement options). There are a few however that routinely go the "mountain goat" route and my hat is off to you. If my rides looked that hard, I might be tempted to go into Downhill biking and let the truck take me to the top.

Having spent some time in Florida, I do get a kick out of those profiles where the local highway overpass is the "mountain".
Old 01-10-08, 09:37 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Everyone who hasn't seen much of the state thinks Texas is flat. There is one particular poster here who always goes on and on about the treeless plains north of Dallas where he lived as a child. Evidently he didn't get out much..

Then someone thinks, "Gosh, I wonder where Lance learned to climb hills"
Actually about 4 years ago I did "Texas Hellweek" out of Fredericksberg (sp?) and I can tell you Texas is far from flat but... although the area was hilly, it not like the climbs you find out west. The one thing I did encounter that blew me away where going coming a corner and finding a short but steep grade that was almost undoable. Many were in the 18 - 20% range. I can't imagine a car can even drive up them if there's any ice or water on the road.

That being said, Texas is pretty flat in areas. I remember Dallas (my sister lived there 10 years) being rollyish but the area west of Austin to New Mexico is just flat, pancake flat!

Here's some "Hill Country" photos:

Like here's a "big" hill....

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-10-08, 09:40 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There was actually a study which proved Kansas was FLATTER than a pancake. I know the guardian is weird, but I remember when this first came out and I heard it on the radio, driving through Kansas.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/life/featu...048791,00.html
Old 01-10-08, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Giro 26, Giant FCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
It's actually about 1.9%. 100/5280 = 0.0189, to 3 decimal places. It's still flat, though.

-soma5
You do not figure the angle of ascent by dividing 100 by 5280. By doing that you are just coming up with a ratio. You find the angle by dividing 100 by 5280 than it is the Invert Tangent of that number. Which is 1.085 degrees in this case. 500 feet per mile is 5.410 degrees. Remember trigonometry? 1000 feet is 10.724 degrees.
Old 01-10-08, 11:19 AM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Yeah, just 1/4 mile from my house is a river trail that runs 30 - 40 miles with nary a rise in sight. On the other side of the river there are some rolling hills, but in this part of PA, the river isn't running through any mountains.
Ah- but then there's Manayunk! And there are some pretty good climbs in Wynnewood and Gladwynne (though nothing like Leverington- "The Wall"- in 'Yunk). But yeah, overall, we ain't San Francisco or western NC!
Old 01-10-08, 11:20 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdrozd
You do not figure the angle of ascent by dividing 100 by 5280. By doing that you are just coming up with a ratio. You find the angle by dividing 100 by 5280 than it is the Invert Tangent of that number. Which is 1.085 degrees in this case. 500 feet per mile is 5.410 degrees. Remember trigonometry? 1000 feet is 10.724 degrees.
Most of us return to the starting point of a ride so we descend the same amount as climbed. On average this would double the grade as we actually do the climbing in about half the ride. The other half is the reward you get for the work.
Old 01-10-08, 12:39 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back Kansas and pancakes... If I remeber right the point was that a pancake wasn't really flat, but a series of ups and downs in the air pockets, so several of the "hilly" profiles could be considered flat as a pancake!
Old 01-10-08, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdrozd
Hills aren't usually rated in degrees, they're rated in % of slope - which is a ration of rise/run. So yes, 100 over 5280 is proper usage. 100 feet per mile is 100/5280 = 1.89%. Depending on your method of measurement, a mile of hill might actually not be a mile horizontally (it might be measured along the hypotenuse) in which case you can feel free to exercise your trig table to find the true horizontal distance. The difference will be trivial, though.
Old 01-10-08, 01:01 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Consularrider
Back Kansas and pancakes... If I remeber right the point was that a pancake wasn't really flat, but a series of ups and downs in the air pockets, so several of the "hilly" profiles could be considered flat as a pancake!
(Yes, that was the point.... Shhhhh!)
Old 01-10-08, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Giro 26, Giant FCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Hills aren't usually rated in degrees, they're rated in % of slope - which is a ration of rise/run. So yes, 100 over 5280 is proper usage. 100 feet per mile is 100/5280 = 1.89%. Depending on your method of measurement, a mile of hill might actually not be a mile horizontally (it might be measured along the hypotenuse) in which case you can feel free to exercise your trig table to find the true horizontal distance. The difference will be trivial, though.
Thanks Blazing Pedals, I learned something new. I didn't realize that hills are rated in % of slope.
Old 01-10-08, 07:46 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by BCIpam
...Texas is far from flat but... Texas is pretty flat in areas.
I was in Houston a few weeks ago and was reminded how flat that fun, wicked city is - but water does run off there. In parts of the Texas Panhandle, rain gathers in playas and sits until it evaporates rather than running off down a watershed. There's a place out between Dalhart and Dumas so flat that if you squint hard enough you can see yourself standing on the far horizon.

Around Dallas? Far from the hilliest part of the state, but I can take you on rides that would get most of you out of the saddle in your lowest gear. No big climbs, just little rollers. Nasty little rollers.

Best,
TCS

Fun fact: The 17% grade up to the McDonald Observatory above Ft. Davis, Texas, will take you to 100 feet higher than any point east of the Mississippi.

Last edited by tcs; 01-10-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Having spent some time in Florida, I do get a kick out of those profiles where the local highway overpass is the "mountain".
You mean like this one? There are three bridges in this out and back ride. Can you find them?
Attached Images
Florida mountains.jpg (13.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-11-08, 03:01 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cgallagh
We have a choice of rolling hills, flats, and serious climbing right out our back door. This is a profile of Cantelow Road. It is 7 miles from our house to the top so the profile is copied from one of the Davis Cycling groups. Our house is around 120 ft and we get a bit of rollers to warm up. It is a good workout to do repeaters from both sides. We do the ride as shown with the other side being a real booger.

This is a profile of Mix Canyon. This is a real workout. Notice that it is higher than Ventoux but only about 4.5 miles from a starting elevation of 330 ft. I did the first 3.5 miles on my compact and thought I was going to die. When the weather clears and the days get a little longer, this will be my hill workout more often. If you really want to climb you can go over Cantelow, ride about 3/4 miles down Pleasants Valley and face this.
That measurement for Ventoux is in metres but as you start at 300 metres- the actual climb is only around 4,000ft. Some of that climb is steep- but at one point I hit the flat bit of 4.5% and actually felt that I was going downhill. It is not the severity of Ventoux that is a problem but 13 miles of continual climbing meant that I did know I had done a ride that day. I say that Ventoux is easy and it was-- once I got into the rhythm of climbing. Kept HR comfortable- Kept turning at the same cadence and was never tempted to get out of the lowest gear on the bike.

Just wish I had a map of the area where I trained for three days before the Ride. Some of those hills were steep- so that to me means in excess of 20%- but thankfully for only a mile or so at a time.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-11-08, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote for flat is the Death Valley by Moonlight ride that started at Furnace Creek Ranch. Starts near 0 elevation, drops 278 feet to Badwater then climbs back to 0' at the 48 mile turn-around. True flat would the the ride around Lake Okeechobee in Florida
Old 01-12-08, 12:15 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
For those of you who live in flat country.............Connecticut isn't. It's not the Alps, but it isn't Kansas either.
I have a variety of choices in my area. There are no mountains but there are quite a few river valleys that consist of short steep climbs, flat trails and tons of those long gradual grades of 1-3%. This is from one of the local sponsored rides just a few miles from my house.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-12-08, 12:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
And a brutal MTB trail. 690 ft in 4.3 miles.
Now that sort of climbing is the type that would get most riders. May not seem as severe as a straight 15% for 1 mile and on paper it is not- but all those short climbs- then descent that breaks the rhythm- does not allow you to get into climbing mode. Then take the type of terrain and a loose slippery surface into consideration and you may realise why Road climbs do not bother me.

And on road climbs- Gearing does pay a factor. I know a lot of it is mental- as I found out when I went Compact from Triple- but try and climb in too high a gear and the knees and willpower will go before anything else.
Attached Images
get_mb.jpg (1.9 KB, 39 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-12-08, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Exactly. That is how much climbing you do in the ride. 1,000 ft of climbing is 1,000 ft of climbing whether you do it on one 1,000 ft climb or ten 100 ft climbs.

Where I live, we call "100 foot climbs" rollers.
Old 01-13-08, 09:32 AM
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"That measurement for Ventoux is in metres"
Sorry I missed the meter/foot translation stapfam. I should know better given my profession requires me to transpose those numbers often.

"And on road climbs- Gearing does pay a factor. I know a lot of it is mental- as I found out when I went Compact from Triple- but try and climb in too high a gear and the knees and willpower will go before anything else."

When I bought the Fuji, it came with an 11-23 cassette 50-36 in the front. I thought "no problem". Silly me. I took on a lot of hills in that thing and the more hills I rode the more pain was involved. I did both those climbs I attached but did not finish Mix. The last mile pitches up to 23% at the end. I stopped to get my heart rate somewhere near not leaping out of my chest, when a large dog came out of a drive way. When I stopped going down to avoid this canine, I found my self 3/4 mile from where I last stopped and decided no more climbing that day. I just put a 12-27 on the back and will try again. We are doing a 66 miler today with some pretty fair climbs and I will report back.
Old 01-13-08, 06:48 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillK
Man...I need to figure out how to topo the Seagull Century route near Salisbury, MD. The two big "climbs" are the highway overpass and the bridge onto Assateague Island!
Well...I went to toporoute.com and gave it a try. While I liked the "follow road" feature, the site wouldn't allow me to save the resulting .png topo map (might need to subscribe). But I was able to learn that you start at ~30ft, with a high point of just over 90ft and a low point of ~0...so pretty flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.