Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

She'll be mine again (Premee returns)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 07:52 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I sold her to a coworker.
I missed her.
He listened to a group of OCP
He ignored her
She is light
She is fast
She is returning

Here is what she looked like when we met:

I put shellaced blue bar tape, a new freewheel, and silver LOOK pedals on her. When she returns I may exchange the suede selle sadle for a B17 standard black. Her wheels had given me problems so I'm selling them off and installing some nice Sun M13II 36 spoke 700c and Continental GP 4000 tires.
Old 01-14-08, 08:14 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well how could some OCP appreciate a classic bike for its obvious panache. It ain't carbon or unobtanium and he couldn't find a matching kit and helmet so his loss is your gain again. Take care of her she's a beauty
Old 01-14-08, 08:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I pulled a hammy by just looking at that bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-14-08, 08:19 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Well how could some OCP appreciate a classic bike for its obvious panache. It ain't carbon or unobtanium and he couldn't find a matching kit and helmet so his loss is your gain again. Take care of her she's a beauty
The coworker was a newbie who was entering a Washington D.C. / Richmond Charity ride. He and I are both 6'2" 210 lbs (approx). His riding partners kept telling him the bike was too large. I suspect they have newer bikes with much lower top tubes and long seat posts - as seems to be the modern style.

I had bought (as a replacement) an 86 Schwinn Prelude in gunmetal shades and fixed her up very nicely. She was only 58cm, however, and just too small. The Prelude weighed in at 22 lbs - and I suspect the Premis does also - quite light for steel.
Old 01-14-08, 09:31 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Premis is a great bike! You're lucky to get it back!!!!
Old 01-14-08, 10:27 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love that quill stem--and it's setup: For a man who knows the value of a healthy back.
Old 01-14-08, 10:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome colors on that bike.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-14-08, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Awesome colors on that bike.
You couldn't let it go, could you Gary?

Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-15-08 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
On her return
Will she forgive?
Some new bits...a nice gesture, but
Only time is truth.
Your time, and lots of it.

Perhaps, if luck has been your cell mate
And the gods have taken pity on your lot,
You will feel her love again.

Last edited by Louis; 01-14-08 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 09:20 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I've sold a couple that I want back.............they got a lot more love here than there!
Old 01-15-08, 09:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
I put shellaced blue bar tape, a new freewheel, and silver LOOK pedals on her.
That's a great looking bike. Two questions. 1. What kind of tubing did Schwinn use on that model? Were they using the Tange? 2. Excuse the ignorance on this one... what does shellac do to bar tape?
Old 01-15-08, 10:40 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
That's a great looking bike. Two questions. 1. What kind of tubing did Schwinn use on that model? Were they using the Tange? 2. Excuse the ignorance on this one... what does shellac do to bar tape?
Shellac over cloth bar tape is old-style wrap. It darkens the tape and makes it shiny and waterproof. I'll post some new pics once I get her back and cleaned up.
Several higher end schwinn lightweight road bikes from about 85-87 used Columbus Tenax tubing. I believe the Premis tubes are triple butted.
Old 01-15-08, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have the coolest bikes of all. That one is awe inspiring.
Old 01-15-08, 10:53 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to ask about shellac over bar tape a couple of weeks ago. Might as well do it here.

My question has to do with the comfort of riding on shellac'ed bar tape. It seems to me that it would only be slightly softer than bare metal, although a bit thicker and a bit easier to warm up under one's hand.

It looks nice and I know it significantly extends the life of the bar tape, but it doesn't strike me as being functional. Kinda in the same league as a carbon fiber saddle. Do people find it comfortable to rest their hands on with the weight of their torso bearing down on them?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-15-08, 11:30 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I was going to ask about shellac over bar tape a couple of weeks ago. Might as well do it here.

My question has to do with the comfort of riding on shellac'ed bar tape. It seems to me that it would only be slightly softer than bare metal, although a bit thicker and a bit easier to warm up under one's hand.

It looks nice and I know it significantly extends the life of the bar tape, but it doesn't strike me as being functional. Kinda in the same league as a carbon fiber saddle. Do people find it comfortable to rest their hands on with the weight of their torso bearing down on them?
It's gripper than bare metal. It might be tough on bare hands but I always wear gloves. I understand that too much padding can cause hand numbness like over padded saddles cause sore bums.