Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can see a Bloody Future- again.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-12-08, 05:32 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I am disappointed. My Son-in-law wants to get back to riding to get fit. He is 30 and up till about 5 years ago was a regular Mountain Biker and he was the one to chase everywhere. Still had to put him in his place occasionally but he could ride a bike.

Recently he has been talking about getting back into riding and he is out with me and a couple of mates for a road ride tomorrow. Will have to set up the TCR for him as the larger of the two bikes but it is only a taster to get him back again. The mates by the way are a couple of his mates- Farmers that are fit and I did not realise rode bikes. So tomorrow it is a gentle ride for 10 miles to the seafront for a coffee and bun and see how he feels. I reckon that with the trip back- 20 miles for a first trip out for a while will be enough. Unless he starts bragging about how good he feels- then I have a route back planned that takes in a couple of killer hills.

Problem is- he has just gone out and bought a New Mountain Bike. I was beginning to think that I would be able to relax a bit from getting my back jolted about and the scars from falling off on rocky descents have just about gone now. He has now gone and bought himself a Full suspension Giant and it makes my spending on bikes and accessories this year look a bit lame. Admittedly I got him a good deal through my LBS- but I am going to have a word with the mechanic. Get him to doctor the bottom bracket to tighten it up a bit- or a lot if possible- and get the wheels running oval.

So will have to put the first aid kit back on the Bianchi as I can see a lot of blood being spilt in the near future. Hopefully the son-in-laws when that Full suspension thing throws him into the trees.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-12-08, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Good luck!

I have two sons who are in their lower 30's. I let them take me mountain biking with them for Father's Day a couple of years ago and still have the scars to prove it. It was humbling!

They both have very high end freeride bikes and do some things on them that I'm not sure I approve of. I do their wheel work, however, so maybe there's hope.
Old 01-12-08, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8257 Post(s)
Liked 8,977 Times in 4,451 Posts
Sometimes you just have to let the young guns go. Maybe you can still hurt him on the climbs, but he can have the rough descents.
Old 01-12-08, 07:13 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could just wobble along complaining about your aching back, your aching knees, your aching teeth and the younger generation. Pretty soon he'll leave you in the dust and you can ride in peace.
Old 01-12-08, 10:20 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor Stapfam...life's a beach!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-12-08, 10:39 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mtn Biking tends to have its ups and downs.

can't believe I wrote that
Old 01-12-08, 10:46 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
It's not how well the bear dances, but that the bear dances at all.
Old 01-12-08, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Do they make a presta adapter that fits a garden hose? Maybe you could fill his tires with water before the ride begins.
Old 01-12-08, 10:51 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
So will have to put the first aid kit back on the Bianchi as I can see a lot of blood being spilt in the near future. Hopefully the son-in-laws when that Full suspension thing throws him into the trees.
Certainly I've been injured while mountain biking - that's a give. However, most of my bad injuries have come from road riding. The pavement is never soft, and always rips flesh. The dirt can be more forgiving with it's slower speeds and sometimes softer landings.

Having said that, I'm still doing both and loving them both. However, I consider road riding MORE dangerous than off-road riding.

... Brad
Old 01-14-08, 11:49 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Time to upgrade the mountain bike.
Old 01-14-08, 12:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Time to upgrade the mountain bike.
Funnily enough- This was what I was thinking of doing just before christmas. But I got the TCR instead. And it would be an upgrade on my existing Bianchi- New forks and possibly wheels but I just cannot afford a decent Full suspension bike- and doubt that I could warrant it with the type of riding I do offroad. And I am afraid that I still reckon that a good hardtail is better than the cheap POGO stick F/S bike that I could afford.

Spike Milligan