Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who Wants to Ride 160 Miles in One Day?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who Wants to Ride 160 Miles in One Day?

Old 01-16-08, 08:56 AM
Up on the Down Side

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
I'm curious how the guys who average over 20 mph for the course handled that stretch. Did they stop at each one and then accelerate up to 20 mph and come to a stop at the end of each block? I'm guessing they blew through every one of them; no mean feat considering the heavy cross traffic.
FWIW, during the 2007 RAIN where we were flying all the way to Indy, the average speed takes a big hit on the Indy bypass, but then kicks back up once the route snakes back onto old US-40. Riders were pretty good about stopping for lights through the Indy bypass.

2007 was a tailwind dream on the US-40 sections, which make up a bulk of the ride.
Old 01-18-08, 02:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Still not certain about the Heat that may arrive on this ride- but that could be prepared for. Sounds as though any one that wants a challenge that's do-able- couldn't find a better ride. Most I have done is a 14hour ride and that was hard- but this one seems to be a bit easier on the butt and the legs. Just have to train the brain to do it.

Just wish it was a bit closer and there would be at least one extra entry.

Spike Milligan