Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

DG Starts a Trend - Sources for Road Bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:03 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Alright, DG started me thinking. I have the tools and the bike stand. I have access to a very expensive repair manual. So, what am I waiting for?

All I need is a decent road bike to rebuild / fix to use when I don't want to ride my touring bike. It would also be fun to have a mountain bike with no front suspension. I sold my mountain bike to an old room mate. He isn't riding it either, hmmm maybe I should buy it back.

Well, back to the road bike. DG may agree, but S. California seems to want a premium for used bikes on Craigs List. Any suggestions for my hunt?

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 01-15-08, 07:09 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yard sales. Thrift shops. Classified ads in the local paper.
Old 01-15-08, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Yard sales. Thrift shops. Classified ads in the local paper.
Tell everybody you know who rides bikes, what you're looking for. One will come to you.
Old 01-15-08, 07:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leave a message here for Solveg.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-15-08, 08:26 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually think Craigslist can be a good source, if you are both patient and persistent. For instance, I bought a twenty year old Univega for $25 in great shape and had it converted to a SS. (Unfortunately, I could never get used to it being just a smudge too big.) I also bought a Trek 1500, in excellent condition, that had sold new for $900 fifteen or so years ago, for $125. I think I had to buy tires is all.

The reason I was able to get that bike was because I had popped on Craigslist and the ad had been placed just ten minutes before. I called the guy immediately, and went right over (ten minutes away). In the time it took me to get there, he had four other phone inquiries and two serious buyers.

So I think Craigslist can be a good source, if you search it daily or even more often, and pounce when you see something interesting. I have been looking daily for a repair stand, and it will come up, sooner or later. I saw several in the past few months, when I wasn't interested.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-15-08, 09:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Road bikes without brifters are usually much less expensive. Learn to spot a quality bike from a good but less prestigious brand for a real bargain.
Old 01-15-08, 10:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go...how's free??? Okay, I realize it's a piece of junk...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/540552568.html

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-15-08, 10:37 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Instead of a suspension-less mountain bike, why not a hybrid? Should be just as rugged and, with the right tires, as capable of light off-road stuff, as a heavier, less nimble mountain bike.
By all means, look for a road bike, too, if that is your main goal.
Old 01-16-08, 09:51 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have done very well with yard sales (Schwinn, Capo #1), but a neighbor gave me the Bianchi.

If you can wait a few months, try the local university campuses in June, when students move out of the dorms and dump possessions, including bicycles, very cheaply.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-16-08, 04:31 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You Guys are the Greatest

The 50 Plus (50+) thread has to be the most comfortable place for me to post at bikeforums.net. Thanks for your input.

I found a bike on Craig's List that is all Shimano 105 and three years old. The bike was driven into a garage I was told. Thinking that there must be something else, I asked if it was on top of a car. Yes!

So, they are asking $300 for the bike with oval-ized head tube - it would cost a lot of money to have that done custom - and busted forks. So, the frame is toast. I asked about the brifters and she told me they were fine. Ok, how would one know for sure considering the front impact to the handlebars.

Checking at the LBS I was told that Shimano upgraded or changed the 105 line last year. If I could get these for a decent price, what price would that be? Great deal $100 Ok Deal $200??? I think $300 is a bit stiff.

I also checked on Scattante (Performance Bikes) frames - aluminum with carbon seat stays and carbon fork. That is a bit more than I want to spend, but they go on sale at Performance all the time. Just have to watch. Any of you guys have any thoughts on other frames - new or used. It might be cheaper to find a good used frame on eBay and add the components.

The Cost / Benefit ratio escapes me on this as I have never tackled anything like this before.

Used Components and New Frame
Used Components and Used Frame

Used Frame and New Components or a Mix

Probably one of the more expensive and important aspects would be the wheels I would think.

Old 01-16-08, 05:53 PM
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fthomas you have a pm
Old 01-16-08, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Your best bet is to find a complete bike. You can easily spend $50-$100 dollars just replacing things like brake pads, chains, tires, bar tape, etc. You can also, not so easily, find good bikes for $50-$100 that are just unwanted and need nothing. I've done it both ways and the latter is better Be patient, know what you're looking for and be ready to jump on it quickly once you see a good deal.
Old 01-17-08, 04:38 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The search continues!

What do you guys think of this frame?

It is on sale for 324.00 at Performance

Add some components and I have a road bike. This may be far better than paying for a fixer upper, but then I have to remember stem, bars, chain (as someone mentioned earlier), etc. Better count the cost first.

Old 01-17-08, 05:01 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I like it...........but then I paid $279 less 20% when Supergo was selling it. It seems that Performance was selling it for a lot less just a couple of weeks ago. You might take a look at the Leader Bike Store online.
Old 01-17-08, 07:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Nashbar has this one for $250 without a fork.

As fun as it is to build a bike, it is very easy to spend more than the bike is worth unless you are careful, lucky and have access to free or cheap parts.
Old 01-17-08, 09:45 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen the Nashbar one for as low as $180 within the past 2-3 months.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post