Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Grocery shopping on my bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/379390-grocery-shopping-my-bike.html)

Digital Gee 01-15-08 01:59 PM

Grocery shopping on my bike

I'm getting the hang of it, and having a blast at the same time. As you can see, I don't even need the store to bag the groceries -- I just take the store's basket out to my bike and load up the panniers. I can fit about one hand-held store basket's worth of stuff on the bike per trip. While this won't eliminate the need to drive occasionally for big stuff, it should allow me to do about 85-90% of my marketing by bike.

It just feels good! :)

http://upload.pbase.com/image/91714274.jpg

stapfam 01-15-08 02:11 PM

Got to admit that this is one of your better ideas and the bike looks the part. All you need now is the BOB trailer and you can go shopping for the new TV.

maddmaxx 01-15-08 02:11 PM

Generic Oat Rings? :eek:

solveg 01-15-08 02:13 PM

Are you going to try to make onion juice?

Tom Bombadil 01-15-08 02:16 PM

Excellent use of a bike.

I see you have a stem extender on the Cypress. It provides a place to rest your chin.

Looks like you need a kickstand.

Digital Gee 01-15-08 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5987202)
Excellent use of a bike.

I see you have a stem extender on the Cypress. It provides a place to rest your chin.

Looks like you need a kickstand.

Yeah, for this use, a kickstand makes a LOT of sense.

stapfam 01-15-08 02:26 PM

I was going to suggest a kickstand but if DG gets used to using one- He will fit one in Ruby and I don't know if he could take the extra weight uphills or in the rain.

Jet Travis 01-15-08 02:35 PM

Are those carrots for your juicer? Thanks to your inspiration, I've been juicing a la Jack Lalanne every day for the past week.

Digital Gee 01-15-08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 5987320)
Are those carrots for your juicer? Thanks to your inspiration, I've been juicing a la Jack Lalanne every day for the past week.

Yep, I brought back 5# of carrots, eight apples, four pears, some celery, and other fruits and veggies. I can go through five pounds of carrots in a week. Woohoo!

airbrake 01-15-08 03:03 PM

Looks like we will soon have to go to the living car free forum to read the exploits of DG.

BSLeVan 01-15-08 03:08 PM

Cudos for your "green" trip to the grocery store! I hope you got the same kind of self-satisfied feeling as I did the first time I used a bike for transportation/work... that is outside of my paper route as a boy. It's kind of cool to get yourself there, get loaded up, get it all home, and realize the trip was also good for you.

Digital Gee 01-15-08 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 5987510)
Cudos for your "green" trip to the grocery store! I hope you got the same kind of self-satisfied feeling as I did the first time I used a bike for transportation/work... that is outside of my paper route as a boy. It's kind of cool to get yourself there, get loaded up, get it all home, and realize the trip was also good for you.

That's pretty much exactly how I felt! :)

Artkansas 01-15-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5987080)
I'm getting the hang of it, and having a blast at the same time. As you can see, I don't even need the store to bag the groceries -- I just take the store's basket out to my bike and load up the panniers. I can fit about one hand-held store basket's worth of stuff on the bike per trip. While this won't eliminate the need to drive occasionally for big stuff, it should allow me to do about 85-90% of my marketing by bike.

It looks great DG. Especially how you've color coordinated it all in black. You have me thinking that the Hard Rock needs some baskets.

linux_author 01-15-08 04:12 PM

- i have a set of those baskets, and man oh man, are they *heavy*!

- lately i've been using a Nashbar messenger bag... last time i went i carried a small seedless watermelon, six bananas, a quart of tomatoes, four large sweet onions, a quart of jalapenos, six yellow and green squash, and seven naval oranges (along with some cilantro)...

(i leaned a little bit riding home, but made the two-mile trip just fine; it was worth the $7 shopping trip [*much* cheaper groceries at the local farmer's market])

:-)

p.s. good job shopping by bike! Save gas. Get fit. Have fun!™

bhchdh 01-15-08 04:16 PM

Well done. That is a good looking set up, and with the rack and afew bungies you could carry even more.

Tom Bombadil 01-15-08 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once you hone your mechanical skills, you can build one of these:

BengeBoy 01-15-08 04:25 PM

By all means, get a kickstand.

I just switched to one of these -- much, much better than the kind that mounts around the chainstays.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...0435872&sr=8-2

Beverly 01-15-08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5988023)
Once you hone your mechanical skills, you can build one of these:

I wonder if they would allow me to take in inside the grocery store:)

Ken Brown 01-15-08 04:47 PM

<Sigh> No snow... must be nice to live on Pitcairn Island.

Artkansas 01-15-08 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 5988044)
By all means, get a kickstand.

I just switched to one of these -- much, much better than the kind that mounts around the chainstays.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...0435872&sr=8-2

If nothing else, it makes oiling the chain a breeze.

cranky old dude 01-15-08 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5987080)

You da man!!!!!!! :)

Now the rest of us need to step up to the plate and be a little greener.
I haven't driven to work yet at all in 2008 and you're right, the independence from
driving the car feels good!

wrafl 01-15-08 05:17 PM

DG, you proved that we can never be a slave to the auto and oil industry. It's encouraging to see someone making headways of the valuable use of the bike. I think I need to do more of that despite the weather conditions here in the midwest.

Digital Gee 01-15-08 05:38 PM

I keep forgetting there's a Farmer's Market held every Sunday morning not a mile from my place. This Sunday might be a challenge, given the Chargers / Pats AFC Championship game at 10 a.m. PST (and all the football talk beforehand), but there's 51 other weeks!

Artkansas 01-15-08 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5988443)
I keep forgetting there's a Farmer's Market held every Sunday morning not a mile from my place. This Sunday might be a challenge, given the Chargers / Pats AFC Championship game at 10 a.m. PST (and all the football talk beforehand), but there's 51 other weeks!

Is that the one at Marlborough and El Cajon? That used to be a 1 block walk from my apartment.

Digital Gee 01-15-08 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 5988544)
Is that the one at Marlborough and El Cajon? That used to be a 1 block walk from my apartment.

It's in the parking lot for the DMV.