Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who Wants to Ride 160 Miles in One Day?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 07:04 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's the challenge of the annual RAIN (Ride Across Indiana) event on July 12, 2008. The ride goes west to east across the state through (mostly) rural rolling-to-flat landscapes. The event starts at 7:00 a.m. in Terre Haute and officially ends at 9:00 p.m. (sundown). Usually, the prevailing winds will be at your back.

There are three rest stops and a lunch stop. You can set up your own sag support or sign up with a service that will take care of you and haul your tired butt back to the starting line. More info here:

https://bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/tours/rain/rain.html

I'm not sure I'm going to go for it, but I'm tempted. I do think it would be great to have a BF 50+ contingent on the route.
Old 01-13-08, 07:45 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Ah Jet, you must have gotten your flier for TRIRI yesterday (I did). The really ambitious can do RAINStorm---five back to back centuries before RAIN.

I will not be signing up for that one.

I think I'm going to do Oklahoma Freewheel this year.
Old 01-13-08, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't think of a single thing I want to do for more than 8 hours at a time.
Old 01-13-08, 08:41 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Well Jet,

That's just 40 miles short of a double, so why quit at 160? That time of year, with that much daylight, a double is pretty easy to complete without lights.

Get your registration in early so you'll have a definite goal for your training in 2008!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-13-08, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking today about the "bucket list" thread here, and one thing I thought I would like to do is to ride across Florida. I've come up with a route that's about 130 miles. Riding across your home state would be a great accomplishment
Old 01-13-08, 09:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Riding across your home state would be a great accomplishment
Which sure sounds like a good reason to be I'm glad I'm not from Montana! Or Alaska or Texas. Or at the other end, Rhode Island or Delaware.
Old 01-14-08, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've thunk of doing RAIN, but the prospect of 160 miles in 102F with 80% humidity and no shade puts me off every time.
Old 01-14-08, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds a little too brutal for the likes of me and my dogs. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-14-08, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've thunk of doing RAIN, but the prospect of 160 miles in 102F with 80% humidity and no shade puts me off every time.
It probably wont be over a 100 degrees, but it might be over 90. A bunch of us from the VA are doing it. I will agree to about anything this far out.
Old 01-14-08, 07:13 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
RAIN 2007 was a tailwind 90% of the way. I usually can't average 20 mph for a 10 mile ride, but did average 20 mph for 160 on RAIN. Here's a link to the ride reports over in the Great Lakes subforum.

RAIN 2006, from what I understand was hot and hard. The guys I rode with in 2007 did the ride several hours faster than in 2006.

Last edited by CyLowe97; 01-14-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 07:25 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I'm not sure I'm going to go for it, but I'm tempted. I do think it would be great to have a BF 50+ contingent on the route.
I'm definitely not tempted

I would love to do a ride like this but since my long distant experience consists on one century I'll have to pass this year.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-14-08, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I did RAIN in 2006. The first 90 miles were pretty nice. The last 70 were a nightmare. I and my group thought we were prepared. We had done enough 140 mile training rides to get our food and water needs sorted out but that 102 degree weather was so brutal it threw us for a loop. By the last 30 miles I had run out of gas and I had to average 15 mph to make the cutoff. I made it with ten minutes to spare.

I learned a few hard lessons and we may do it again this summer with a few changes in place.
Old 01-14-08, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
And I've been asking myself lately if I'm ever going to do any more centuries.
Old 01-14-08, 02:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That 160 seems like the next challenge up. Just a pity that the weather sounds as though it could upset a few riders. I have ridden in 100f and it did not affect me- but I took certain precautions- Plenty of salt in the system to start with. Drinks had an Isotonic additive and I also drunk plenty of water. Snacks were salty ones and I also made certain that I had energy gels every couple of hours- Or before I needed them.

The only time I felt the heat was when I stopped so that was in shade and also with a bottle of water to pour over the head if needed. In fact the only problem I had was Sweat running into the eyes and This was only cured by putting a handkerchief under the helmet. No need to wring it out as the sweat evaporated off the cotton very quickly.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-14-08, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
And I've been asking myself lately if I'm ever going to do any more centuries.
Well, you have to on your 100th birthday...
Old 01-14-08, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to take on something like this, but I'm not sure I could make the time limits. I think I'd be good for the first 100, but its been a long, long time since I attempted anything longer than that. Did you look at the results for 2007? Six hours and 33 minutes? Wow, they were flying. What would have been really cool is if you could see the ages of the riders next to their finish time.
Old 01-14-08, 03:31 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Plenty of salt in the system to start with. Drinks had an Isotonic additive.
In that heat, I think I might rather have a gin-and-tonic additive.
Old 01-14-08, 08:32 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the subtitle...RAIN rider in 2007 after waiting 15yrs to do it again. Took almost an hour off my time in '92. That was my '07 challenge, this year it's Assault on Mt Mitchell, inspired by our own jppe. RAIN is a GREAT event, and gives one a great sense of accomplishment upon finishing. I WILL be there again this year, SAG'd by not only my wife(last year), but my twin daughters as well. They claim to be excited to be able to go this year, we'll see how Mom feels after 7-8 hrs in the car with them
Old 01-14-08, 09:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can we ride it as a 50+ tag team?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-14-08, 09:09 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Can we ride it as a 50+ tag team?

We'ld probably lose too much time trying to decide which of our bikes to ride.
Old 01-14-08, 09:10 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
That's the challenge of the annual RAIN (Ride Across Indiana) event on July 12, 2008. The ride goes west to east across the state through (mostly) rural rolling-to-flat landscapes. The event starts at 7:00 a.m. in Terre Haute and officially ends at 9:00 p.m. (sundown). Usually, the prevailing winds will be at your back.

There are three rest stops and a lunch stop. You can set up your own sag support or sign up with a service that will take care of you and haul your tired butt back to the starting line. More info here:

https://bloomingtonbicycleclub.org/tours/rain/rain.html

Go for it. I did it last year...came in at 9:59 total ride time, 420 out of 1002 riders...and a lot of folks older than me came in ahead of me. It's a nice ride, we had a good tailwind for about 3/4 of the ride, the only exceptions being the route around Indy and a construction detour. Folks sit out in their yards and at the side of the road cheering you on...kinda cool. If you can, it's best to ride with a group. I got dropped after about 10 miles from the group of BF speedsters I met up with at the start...but Cheri was sagging for me, so at least I got a few nice rest stops that included fresh fruit, cookies, ice cold lemonade...and a neck massage!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-14-08, 09:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Very interesting. Does anyone have a ride profile or know how much total climbing is involved?
Old 01-14-08, 09:34 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
RAIN goes right by my neighborhood on the southside of Indianapolis. It seldom hits 102 in Indiana but often is too damn hot 'n' humid.
I work every Saturday and Sunday so I've never seen them go by, much less ridden it. Quite an accomplishment to finish.
Old 01-16-08, 07:59 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe - Only about 3200 ft total climb over the route, a mere "pimple". A few rollers early and a gradual climb into Richmond at the end.
Old 01-16-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JanMM
RAIN goes right by my neighborhood on the southside of Indianapolis. It seldom hits 102 in Indiana but often is too damn hot 'n' humid.
I work every Saturday and Sunday so I've never seen them go by, much less ridden it. Quite an accomplishment to finish.
That area south of Indianapolis was a killer. The east-west route crossed what seemed like a hundred north-south arterial roads. And there was a stop sign or light at each one. Pedal a block, stop, pedal a block, stop. This went on for an hour.

I'm curious how the guys who average over 20 mph for the course handled that stretch. Did they stop at each one and then accelerate up to 20 mph and come to a stop at the end of each block? I'm guessing they blew through every one of them; no mean feat considering the heavy cross traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.