Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Riding in the Upper Midwest this coming Weekend?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone Riding in the Upper Midwest this coming Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 01:47 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a big swap/state MTB org. convention today (www.mmba.org). Temp around zero F and winds 30+ mph. They had scheduled a ride for this morning before the swap -- and as I drove in to the parking lot about 10:15am there were actually some wackjobs on bikes returning from the ride!

Hardcore, man!

I scored some wheels, Wellgo SPD pedals, fenders, a new 'puter, and other odd bits.
Old 02-10-08, 01:53 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Iand as I drove in to the parking lot about 10:15am there were actually some wackjobs on bikes returning from the ride!

Hardcore, man!
Sheesh. Hardcore is right. I would have gone had it not ended so surprisingly early! That's only 5 hours of event time.
Old 02-10-08, 03:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not unusual for them to end early. They are usually hit hard in the morning and some booths will begin shutting down with 30-60 minutes still left. The ones I've attended didn't require you to be there right at the starting gun, but if it started at 9:30, then it is best to be there by 11, if not earlier. Getting there at 12 is not a good strategy, unless you are bottom feeding on used, common parts and are waiting to get the lowest prices.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-10-08, 05:17 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's good to know. I will remember that next year. I wondered why they said that the lobby would be open at 8 am so you didn't have to stand in the cold for an hour and a half. I went back to bed and just woke up again*, so I think I just needed to sleep.

Anyone else do that? You're really busy and energetic, and then there comes a day when you just turn on the golf channel and doze in and out?

The golf channel is so pretty and green.
Old 02-10-08, 05:40 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want maximum selection, then being there in line before it starts, is what you need to do. A lot of gear is carried out in that first hour.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post