Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

trek 7700 v. 7.6 fx....help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thinking of buying a trek 7700 but in talking to the bike shop guru, he thinks the 7.6fx is the way to go. not sure if he is just overstocked on this model or if there may be some advantage, the two seem very similar. any advice on the way to go would be appreciated.

I currently ride a trek navigator most of the time (a road bike occasionaly) but it is very heavy. Want to be able to get up a little more speed while touring (mostly on paved surfaces) using a lighter bike.

thoughts?
Old 01-03-08, 09:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Thinking of buying a trek 7700 but in talking to the bike shop guru, he thinks the 7.6fx is the way to go. not sure if he is just overstocked on this model or if there may be some advantage, the two seem very similar. any advice on the way to go would be appreciated.

I currently ride a trek navigator most of the time (a road bike occasionaly) but it is very heavy. Want to be able to get up a little more speed while touring (mostly on paved surfaces) using a lighter bike.

thoughts?
depends on your riding style...the 7700 is a hybrid, you'll have a more upright seating position, and it will climb better with the bigger cogs. Its a bit heavier with that front suspension.

The 7.6fx is a flat bar roadie that will stretch you over the top tube and make you work a bit harder on the climbs...but both bikes will be equally fast as their top gears are similar.

I have a 7.5fx, my wife has the 7300, my daughter a 7500fx...not sure who hates their bike more. My daughter and I recently picked up Scott flat bar roadies and my wife rides an Opus FB roadie...the 3 Treks are up for sale.

Last edited by jm01; 01-03-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-03-08, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Want to be able to get up a little more speed while touring (mostly on paved surfaces) using a lighter bike."

I agree with shop. The 7.6FX IMHO has more high end features and lists for $100 less. If you will be riding mostly paved surface and want to go faster, you will want the narrow tires on the 7.6FX. A suspension fork is generally not recommended for riding on hard surface. The 7.6FX dampens road feed back with carbon seat stays, seat post and carbon fork. All three are also lighter then the 7700's suspension seat post and suspension fork.
Old 01-03-08, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jm01
depends on your riding style...the 7700 is a hybrid, you'll have a more upright seating position, and it will climb better with the bigger cogs. Its a bit heavier with that front suspension.

The 7.6fx is a flat bar roadie that will stretch you over the top tube and make you work a bit harder on the climbs...but both bikes will be equally fast as their top gears are similar.

I have a 7.5fx, my wife has the 7300, my daughter a 7500fx...not sure who hates their bike more. My daughter and I recently picked up Scott flat bar roadies and my wife rides an Opus FB roadie...the 3 Treks are up for sale.
I gave my FX 7300 to my son.
Old 01-03-08, 02:06 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You know, looking at the extensive spec list on both bikes, it is interesting that they don't include the total weight of each. Wonder why, you would think that would be important to most customers.
Old 01-03-08, 02:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah ha, I know a thing or two about these two bikes. I own a 7600 and have ridden the 7700, 7.6 FX, and 7.7 FX a number of times each.

Technically they are both hybrids, with the FX bikes's design leaning more toward a road bike. The FX models have a more forward riding position, which will place more of your weight on your hands and feet. This can be altered by using different stems and handlebars, but the stock system will be more aggressive.

The 7.6FX is lighter & faster. It has a fixed stem, rigid seatpost, carbon fiber fork and seat stays. It employs road bike gearing on the rear cassette and has thinner 700x28 tires. All of this is intended to give a smooth ride on hard surfaces, with reasonable performance and comfort. It is a very nice bike for what it is intended to be, which I would classify as being a comfort-oriented flat bar road bike.

The 7700 is a high-end standard hybrid. As such it has very good components and parts for a hybrid. It is heavier due to having no carbon fiber parts, a suspension fork, and a suspension seatpost. The fork is a nice one for dirt roads and bike trails, but not for rough mountain bike trails. The fork is also light for a suspension fork, as it is the new SPA elastomer suspension instead of a heavy dual-suspension fork as found on the lower end 7x00 bikes.

Your riding position on the 7700 will be more upright than the FX bikes, and it comes with an adjustable stem which enables you to set it where it is most comfortable for you. The gearing is lower, making it easier to spin up hills. The tires are wider, at 700x35, for more road and trail comfort.

Both are quality bikes, amongst the best in their respective categories, IMHO. Choosing comes down to your goals and comfort requirements. Some find the FX models to be too forward leaning, they would be a big change from your present Navigator.

My recommendation is that if you find the 7.6 FX at least somewhat comfortable and you plan to ride a lot and work yourself into better condition, then you should strongly consider this option. If it is close to being comfortable, then look at getting a higher rise or adjustable stem. However if it is so uncomfortable that you don't want to ride it, that it would discourage you from riding, and you find the 7700 much more comfortable and to have sufficiently more performance than your Navigator, then that's probably your best choice.

Before buying my 7600 (used) in late '06, after having barely ridden a bike in years, I did ride a 7.5 FX and found it very uncomfortable. So I went with the standard hybrid. It was a great bike for me in '07, I rode hundreds of miles on it, up to 64 in one day. Now I'm considering adding another bike, and the 7.6FX is a strong contender. Even if I get a 7.6 or similar bike, I expect I will continue to ride the 7600 somewhat regularly on the limestoned rail trails in my area due to it being such a comfortable ride on them. But I doubt I would continue to ride it on hard surfaces - at least that is the plan.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-03-08 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 02:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek, and many other companies, no longer publishes the weight of their bikes.

In a medium frame size, the new 7700 weighs around 28'ish pounds, the 7.6 FX is around 22-23'ish pounds.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-03-08, 03:20 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forgot to add that the 7.6 FX is white, which makes all the difference to a certain select few.

I like the paint job on it. Kind of a smoky color on the underside of the tubes, fading to a pearly white on the top. Decals are subdued.

Old 01-03-08, 03:38 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Forgot to add that the 7.6 FX is white, which makes all the difference to a certain select few.

I like the paint job on it. Kind of a smoky color on the underside of the tubes, fading to a pearly white on the top. Decals are subdued.
Yeah, they wised up to to overwhelming demand. Used to be red.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-03-08, 05:11 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Trek, and many other companies, no longer publishes the weight of their bikes.

In a medium frame size, the new 7700 weighs around 28'ish pounds, the 7.6 FX is around 22-23'ish pounds.
I do like the fact that the fx is lighter, and since i will probably keep the Navigator for certain rides, I will probably go with the fx, but have to try both first.
Old 01-03-08, 05:12 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Yeah, they wised up to to overwhelming demand. Used to be red.
Had a white flandria eons ago and liked the white with black lettering, so white is alright with me. My other bikes are blue.
Old 01-03-08, 06:41 PM
MnD

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do like the fact that the fx is lighter, and since i will probably keep the Navigator for certain rides, I will probably go with the fx, but have to try both first.
I went from the Navigator to the Pilot 2.1...if your LBS has one you may want to take it for a quick ride; you might be surprised how comfortable it is. Good luck.
Old 01-03-08, 08:27 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nav to Pilot 2.1 is a BIG jump. From extra-relaxed hybrid to comfort road bike. If you can't handle a Pilot, then you can't handle a road bike, as it is about the most upright riding position road bike you can buy.

That said, I can't handle a Pilot.

Old 01-04-08, 12:28 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timtruro ... you used the term "touring" when describing your intended use for the bike. Exactly what did you mean by that?

Old 01-04-08, 05:48 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Timtruro ... you used the term "touring" when describing your intended use for the bike. Exactly what did you mean by that?

Tom, touring just meant 2-3 hour rides at moderate speeds, on rail trails, or on the road mostly.
Old 01-04-08, 08:18 PM
Borne Again Biker

Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX, Trek 7.5 FX WSD, Trek 800 Antelope (circa 1990), Iron Horse MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toss Up

I recently purchased a leftover 2007 7.6 fx, and aside from the "Steal Me" Candy Apple Red color, really like it. Of course, I was only able to ride it a couple of times before the snow flew here in Southern ME, but so far, so good. I had also looked at the 7700, but didn't feel as though I really needed a full suspension since most of our riding will be done on pavement. For those times when we're off road, the carbon fiber fork is said to absorb a good deal of the shock from bumps. One thing I may come to dislike about the 7.6fx is the fact that it only has 18 speeds as opposed to the 27 you'll get on the 7700. So having said all that, I don't know what to tell you. If you're looking at '07 leftovers, maybe it'll come down to the best deal you can negotiate. My 7.6 originally listed for $900 and some change and the dealer sold it to me for $725. I was happy with that. Don't think you can make a wrong choice. Good luck!
Old 01-04-08, 08:27 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your rail trails are limestones/graveled, then you might prefer using 700x32 tires instead of the stock 700x28. I like the 32s better on trails. Most LBSs will make that swap for no charge at the time of purchase.

The 2008 7.6 FX is a 27-spd, as it has a triple crank. The '07 models can be had for good prices, my LBS is offering them for $679. The '08 has been upgraded in a number of ways, most notably by upgrading the seat stays from aluminum to carbon fiber. That made a noticeable difference in my test rides.

Old 01-05-08, 06:51 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Went With Specialized

Ended up going away from Trek. Ordered a Specialized Sirrus. Billed as a fitness type, it has a lot of attributes of a flat bar road bike, 27 speed, carbon fork and seat post etc. peuter (sp?) color, To me it just felt right when I got on it so I went with my 'gut' instincts and ordered one. Will be away for two weeks so it will be ready when I get back ( and hopefully a little warmer here in the Northeast.

While I have been satisfied with my last two Trek bikes, I am looking forward to trying something different. Thanks for all the input and I will keep you posted on the newbie.

timtruro
Old 01-05-08, 11:03 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ended up going away from Trek. Ordered a Specialized Sirrus. Billed as a fitness type, it has a lot of attributes of a flat bar road bike, 27 speed, carbon fork and seat post etc. peuter (sp?) color, To me it just felt right when I got on it so I went with my 'gut' instincts and ordered one. Will be away for two weeks so it will be ready when I get back ( and hopefully a little warmer here in the Northeast.

While I have been satisfied with my last two Trek bikes, I am looking forward to trying something different. Thanks for all the input and I will keep you posted on the newbie.

timtruro
The key words in your poast are "went with my 'gut' instincts.' When I was first shopping around, the folks on this forum kept telling me to get the bike that 'sang' to me, and assured me I'd know it when it happened. It happened, and I've not regretted it since. Congratulations on the selection of a fine bike. Lots of people have sung its praises here.

(Hmmm...lots of singing references above.)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-05-08, 11:07 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've written mini-reviews of the Sirrus line here a number of times. It is very similar to the Trek FX line, but leans even more toward a road bike.

Most recently in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=sirrus

Which Sirrus did you get, the Comp?

Old 01-05-08, 12:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
The key words in your poast are "went with my 'gut' instincts.' When I was first shopping around, the folks on this forum kept telling me to get the bike that 'sang' to me, and assured me I'd know it when it happened. It happened, and I've not regretted it since. Congratulations on the selection of a fine bike. Lots of people have sung its praises here.

(Hmmm...lots of singing references above.)
Maybe the key words were "satisfied with the Treks". Customers who are merely "satisfied" are very likely to be the ones to leave. I want to be excited and elated and I hope the next bike does it.
Old 01-05-08, 02:19 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've written mini-reviews of the Sirrus line here a number of times. It is very similar to the Trek FX line, but leans even more toward a road bike.

Most recently in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=sirrus

Which Sirrus did you get, the Comp?
Yes it is the 2008 COMP, any input about it??
Old 01-05-08, 02:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a fine bike. I've ridden the Sirrus Comp three times (on three different Comps). I like a lot about it. If I created a hybrid orientation scale where 0 is a mountain bike and 10 is a road bike, the Sirrus Comp would be up around an 8.5 or 9.

It is more aggressive , and thus likely faster, than the Trek 7.6 FX. Lighter too. But the ride is a little rougher. As one of my criteria is riding on limestone bike paths, I twice rode it on that surface and decided that it was too rough a ride for me (the ride is even rougher on the Sport and standard Sirrus). On asphalt it is still a bit rougher than the 7.6, but the difference is much smaller. It was very responsive and I had no problems taking it up a couple of mild hills.

I've ridden a lot of bikes over the past year (this is an understandment and a running forum joke) and I must say that the Sirrus Comp had a unique ride. No other bike felt quite like it ... which is a bit unusual. As such, if that ride really appeals to you, then I can understand someone connecting to it.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-05-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 07:24 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[I've ridden a lot of bikes over the past year (this is an understandment and a running forum joke) and I must say that the Sirrus Comp had a unique ride. No other bike felt quite like it ... which is a bit unusual. As such, if that ride really appeals to you, then I can understand someone connecting to it.[/QUOTE]

Mostly will be riding on asphalt, hoping that the "unique ride" will be fulfill the needs for which I bought it it, will let you know in a couple of weeks when I pick it up.
Old 01-05-08, 07:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most Sirrus buyers really like them. It will feel like a real speed demon as compared to your Navigator. Of all of the flat-bar and hybrid bikes that I rode, it felt the fastest to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.