Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   trip to the LBS (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/380563-trip-lbs.html)

stapfam 01-19-08 12:39 PM

trip to the LBS

Went down by car- which was just aswell- as I had some other shopping to do at the Garden centre. Few seeds to buy and hopefully I have everything I need left over from last yer.

But Got to the shop and I seem to have started a trend on those TCR bikes. Three were ready to go out to customers- One on the stand being built up and another couple to get ready for next week. All of them were also having a few mods done but not one was getting a crankset changed to Compact. Mind you, One of the ones ready to go was a bit tasty. Apparantly to be owned by a 65 year old rider that is a bit tasty on the TT front. Rated 5th in the UK and this was going to be his beater bike for the summer. Built up with ultegra and the top of the range Krysium wheels. So after talking about the bikes-it was down to buying some stuff. One of the problems I am having is a cold head in the winter and sweat running into the eyes on the first hill once I have warmed up. The cure seems so simple once it was mentioned to me-but a cotton cap to put under the helmet. Then came the problem- Colour make and do I want the peak in front or the back? For such a simple item- I was spoilt for choice- So I took the first one I tried on in Black that fitted. Only $10 so it was going to be a cheap bill today.

Till the mechanic asked me to pump up a couple of Tyres for him- And fit them and check the fitting on the rim as I pumped them up. First pair not a problem but second pair were a set of tubular tyres that had to be glued on. Mechanic had already stuck them on and said 200 psi in these. 200 psi? So being prepared for a hard slog on the pump I started pumping. 120 was reached with ease and at 140- I realised that here was a special pump. No effort at all in getting to that pressure. It was obviously a track pump but my pump at home and I am jumping on the lever to get to that pressure. Keep pumping and when it got to 180 I started to really put effort in. 200 was reached and I looked at the pump. I ordered one straight away and it will be in next week. That pump was fantastic. There is nothing like trying things out before you buy- But I now had another 3 pairs to bring up to pressure.

Next time I go to the shop- I am going in with my arm in a sling or go in later in the day when the bikes are built up fully.

Jet Travis 01-19-08 12:52 PM

Maybe you just don't know your own strength...What brand and model pump?

jppe 01-19-08 03:29 PM

200 psi.........wow.......if there ever was a blowout can you imagine the "jet" effect from the air whooshing out of the tire!!!! Probably enough to cause whiplash!!

George 01-19-08 03:48 PM

I have a frame pump and sometimes I get to thinking, if I ever had a flat and had to pump my tires up with that thing I'd be laying on the ground trying to push the handle down. Once when putting 120# in, I didn't check the bead and it blew. I couldn't hear for a week and I'm half deaf anyhow.

By the way, what kind of pump was it, that you ordered.

stapfam 01-19-08 03:56 PM

Make is SKS and there is a site.

http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l...t&i=2191313790

It is german- Obviously and is a model called Rennkompressor- which won't help as that is German for Racing Compressor. Only thing is, this thing worked.

geofitz13 01-19-08 04:54 PM

200 psi??? Why not just use solid tires, like on the old trikes??

Retro Grouch 01-19-08 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by geofitz13 (Post 6012841)
200 psi??? Why not just use solid tires, like on the old trikes??

I doubt they are ridden at that pressure. The 200 psi is probably just to seat the tubulars onto the rim.