Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You know you're finally getting in shape when.... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/382740-you-know-youre-finally-getting-shape-when.html)

Yen 01-26-08 08:26 PM

You know you're finally getting in shape when....

... the highest gear suddenly feels like the middle gear.

... you can literally trot up 5 long flights of stairs to your office and your heart doesn't feel like it's in v-fib (like it used to) when you reach the top.

... the quads are showing! the quads are showing! the quads are showing!

... during your colonoscopy, the gastroenterologist remarks that your resting heart rate as recorded on the monitor seems rather slow at 60 bpm, and you smile because you know that's about 15 beats higher than normal.

... you consider maybe buying a pair of slim-fitting capri bike pants for the coming year to replace the now-too-big baggy pants you wore last year.

I was going to add "most of your wardrobe is now too big", but a slimmer shape isn't a reliable indication of actual fitness.

2manybikes 01-26-08 08:49 PM

Uh.....you can make a 60lb steel wheel trike with 50 lbs of stuff go 19.5 mph (at 195 rpm).

You easily pass your doctor with the trike and he says "how depressing" to his wife.

You don't need gears anymore. And you don't even think of this stuff untill Yen makes this thread.

George 01-26-08 09:01 PM

Congratulations Yen, it just keeps getting better, doesn't it.

knotty 01-26-08 09:05 PM

.......when you look behind on a hill climb and see riders half your age with mouths wide open.

knotty

cgallagh 01-26-08 09:11 PM

It is so heartening to follow your progress in this game. It makes me do a little reflection as well. Congratulations and thanks for putting this into words.

stapfam 01-27-08 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie (Post 6058006)
12 years and 50,000 miles into cycling as an adult, and I can't claim any of this!!! (Except my quads are a bit bigger.)

But, I am happy for yen, and happy with whatever modest gains I've made...

+1

What century are you entering in the spring? Time to thinks about getting the entries in.

stapfam 01-27-08 02:41 AM

I am trying to get our fit rider to enjoy the thrills of thinking about her real next challenge. first the Metric and then a few more century rides and the Ride across America in 2010.

Jet Travis 01-27-08 07:29 AM

....when you get a massage and the therapist says, "Wow! compared with the rest of my clients, you've got great muscle tone."

byte_speed 01-27-08 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by knotty (Post 6056910)
.......when you look behind on a hill climb and see riders half your age with mouths wide open.

knotty

Or for some of us, when you finish a hill climb and can still see riders ahead.

Beverly 01-27-08 09:14 AM

Congratulations Yen.

Those are all good indicators of getting in shape....even those loose fitting clothes. Guess it's time to go shopping:)

jppe 01-27-08 09:41 AM

Maybe just me.......and while now I drink very little it doesn't take nearly as much alcohol before I'm at my limit......I can recall the days at 55+ pounds heavier when I couldn't push too much through the system.......

snaproll 01-27-08 09:51 AM

You look in the mirror and don't see your dad looking back at you.

Hermes 01-27-08 10:30 AM

:beer: You win my vote for most enthusiastic beginner, keep it up.

Yen 01-27-08 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 6058908)
:beer: You win my vote for most enthusiastic beginner, keep it up.

:) I think there are a view other enthusiastic beginners here, but thanks. :)

Stapfam: I've decided to lose another 8-10 pounds at most before I think about training for metrics and centuries. I'm not overweight now but I'd like to take a few more pounds off my poor feet/ankles/knees/hips since, being tall, I can carry around a lot more weight than most women without being overweight. Cutting calories for weight loss doesn't seem like a good thing to do while training for centuries.

Beverly: I'm having a blast shopping!

George: Yes, it does!

Thanks everyone. If I can do it, anyone can. I just want to inspire anyone who thinks they are too old, too sedentary, too sluggish, too out of shape, too anything, that yes, you can turn things around one day at a time. And it doesn't require a fast, expensive bike to do that. :)

Red Rider 01-27-08 12:20 PM

...when your doctor re-takes your blood pressure and pulse because the numbers are so low for a person in your age group (or any age group, for that matter.

Congrats, Yen, and go clothes shopping! The only better reward is a new bike. :D

PaulH 01-27-08 03:57 PM

When the paddle home from a kayak ecotour of a mangrove forest turns into a race and you beat the guides -- and your crew is your 9 year old daughter.

Paul

Timtruro 01-27-08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6056722)

... you can literally trot up 5 long flights of stairs to your office and your heart doesn't feel like it's in v-fib (like it used to) when you reach the top.

... during your colonoscopy, the gastroenterologist remarks that your resting heart rate as recorded on the monitor seems rather slow at 60 bpm, and you smile because you know that's about 15 beats higher than normal.

... you consider maybe buying a pair of slim-fitting capri bike pants for the coming year to replace the now-too-big baggy pants you wore last year.

I was going to add "most of your wardrobe is now too big", but a slimmer shape isn't a reliable indication of actual fitness.

When 30 minutes of exercise no longer feels like two hours.

Artkansas 01-27-08 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6056722)

That's got to be a change of diet as well as exercise. Where have you gone with what you eat?

Yen 01-27-08 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 6060777)
That's got to be a change of diet as well as exercise. Where have you gone with what you eat?

Yes, it is. I've changed my eating habits as well. Beginning about 4 years ago, I loosely follow an exchange diet for hypoglycemia consisting of 3 meals + snacks. I choose healthy, low sugar/refined/processed/junk foods, whole grain breads, fruits and vegies, chicken and fish, very little red meat. I pay a lot of attention to serving sizes. What also helps and keeps me in check is a history of acid reflux.... the Nexium ad line "It's different for people with acid reflux" couldn't be truer. I can't tolerate fatty/creamy sauces and the like, so I just don't eat them (fortunately, I don't really like them anyway). No soda, and cookies/candy only on occasion, etc. Smaller portions, etc. I never have a dip in energy unless I've eaten white rice/pasta or pizza which is rare, so my energy stays up all the time. Also, I sleep all through the night now, something I wasn't doing 4 years ago.

As long as I watch my portion sizes, choose healthy foods, and do some sort of exercise almost every day, I can lose weight fairly easily and maintain it without almost any effort. But if I swing back to my old habits (totally sedentary, eat what I want), it's all downhill from there......

Velodiva 01-27-08 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 6056891)
Congratulations Yen, it just keeps getting better, doesn't it.

I agree - life keeps getting better - go, Yen!

az_cyclist 01-28-08 07:51 AM

Doesnt getting in better condition feel just great? Both for the body and the mind!

Dont be afraid to use the middle chain ring. I have found in the last year my knees feel better by riding in the middle ring more. My speed has not really suffered.

Artkansas 01-28-08 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6061119)
Yes, it is. I've changed my eating habits as well.

As long as I watch my portion sizes, choose healthy foods, and do some sort of exercise almost every day, I can lose weight fairly easily and maintain it without almost any effort. But if I swing back to my old habits (totally sedentary, eat what I want), it's all downhill from there......

Thanks. I was a lifetime Pepsi addict. I managed to kick that but it just revealed the sugar habit below which has been hard to deal with. I'm making some progress, but its uneven. It's hard to eat a salad when the body's screaming for a muffin. ;)

barryflht 01-28-08 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 6058754)
Maybe just me.......and while now I drink very little it doesn't take nearly as much alcohol before I'm at my limit......I can recall the days at 55+ pounds heavier when I couldn't push too much through the system.......

+1 ... I've noticed the same thing here...... I've also noticed that I don't really enjoy it all that much anymore....There was a time that I felt I had to have a drink everyday.