Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why does my trainer seem harder than the real thing?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Set up the bike on the trainer this morning. Its a computrainer so when I hook it up to the computer I can run simulated real courses. One of the included courses is Central Park, which is one of my regular rides. Well on the trainer the hills seemed harder, and my going on the flats and downhills were a bit slower and seemed like more than my usual workout. But with colder weather coming the trainer might be it for me for a couple of months.
Old 01-27-08, 09:42 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no coasting on a trainer. Usually no one else to ride with. No scenery. No sunshine. No girls to look at.
Old 01-27-08, 10:15 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can tell you is I consistently produce 10-15 watts less on the computrainer than I can on the road. I ride with my powertap on the computrainer and the wattage numbers agree within a watt or so. But at the same RPE I just can't produce the same watts. It has gotten better over the winter, the gap used to be more like 20 watts so maybe there is an adaptation taking place. I don't worry about it anymore. I find my time on the CT really translates to better performance on the road so I guess it's working.
Old 01-27-08, 10:29 PM
Legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its pretty common for people to feel like the trainer is harder, some of it may be mental but there are a few things that do make it difficult that can be fixed. Riding inside with no air flowing over you gets hot quickly, using a fan to get more air flowing over you will help a lot by creating more evaporation. Also more time on the trainer will help you get past the mental part and since the body does adapt to the heat you will get better at handling the warmer temperatures inside. You really need a pretty big fan to cool you though, and I have noted that when I ride my rollers indoors I raise the temperature of my little office about 3 degrees even with a ceiling fan and a fan in front of me. I also set the thermostat so it won't come on while I'm riding. I have heard of people opening windows as well, I need to try that one myself actually.

As another poster mentioned not coasting also makes a big difference, most people coast around 15% of the time on the road.
Old 01-27-08, 10:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
All I can tell you is I consistently produce 10-15 watts less on the computrainer than I can on the road. I ride with my powertap on the computrainer and the wattage numbers agree within a watt or so. But at the same RPE I just can't produce the same watts. It has gotten better over the winter, the gap used to be more like 20 watts so maybe there is an adaptation taking place. I don't worry about it anymore. I find my time on the CT really translates to better performance on the road so I guess it's working.
+1 I find that it requires more effort on the trainer to produce the same heart rate as on the rode.
Old 01-28-08, 06:01 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Riding a bike is fun.....................trainers are dues..
Old 01-28-08, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Not sure how much it matters, but you don't have cooling air flowing by on a trainer unless you have a fan.
Old 01-28-08, 07:30 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Because riding on the road brightens your life while riding on a trainer turns the world into a cold, dark, lifeless, dreary place.

Old 01-28-08, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
There's no coasting on a trainer. Usually no one else to ride with. No scenery. No sunshine. No girls to look at.
The Tacx Fortius actually does let you "coast." It has an electric interface that kicks in when the course you are riding goes downhill. I believe I read that it tops out at 25 mph or something like. Pretty pricey though at over $1k (not including computer to hook it up to). But at least it stores the energy it produces so, it is essentially carbon neutral. Oh, you can also add on a steering mechanism so you can steer your bike on the course. Anyone tried one yet?

p.s. I have a Tacx Basic trainer that has proven very reliable over the past five years and (regrettably) 4,700 miles of use.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 01-28-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-28-08, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Because riding on the road brightens your life while riding on a trainer turns the world into a cold, dark, lifeless, dreary place.
A most excellent description of my own bad attitude!

I do find it helps to endure the evil trainer with eyes shut while reviewing favorite rides.
Old 01-28-08, 11:36 AM
Version 7.0

Allow me to take a contrarian position. I like to ride the trainer and here is why.

In bad weather, it gets me out of the elements and eliminates risk of accidents - except for a few notable instances posted on this forum. But let's say they are rare.

According to my cycling coach 1 hour on the trainer equals 2 hours on the road. I get more bang for my time invested. One could argue that point but this thread is about how much harder the trainer seems. I will use my coaches numbers.

It is the ideal way for me to increase power and efficiency of the engine. I can focus on technique i.e. cadence, smooth pedaling, position and posture and my coach can observe all of these and make adjustments as necessary.

Intervals are easy to do and hit my numbers because everything is controled. For me, it is difficult to do intervals on the road and get it right. On the trainer it is cut and dry and I can focus on heart rate, duration and cadence without worrying about road hazards and enjoying the ride.

I like to get in touch with what I am feeling. I try to memorize the feeling of the effort, the posture and the cadence so that when on the road all the technique becomes automatic.

I like the discipline and difficulty. Riding the trainer is just tough...I focus on the fact that I am doing what most others are unwlling or unable to do and I like doing it. When I finish a workout, I feel great and have a feeling of accomplishment.

On the road, life will be fantastic and I will be able to enjoy what I really got into cycling to do in the first place with great technique and power and hopefully less injury.
Old 01-28-08, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully agree with Hermes.
I do not have a coach but use Spinervals DVDs. They work great for me. The longest I have done on the trainer is 2 hours, most of my training rides are between 60 and 80 minutes.
The reasons trainer time seems more difficult have been mentioned above (boring, no flowing air...) but I think it's a well worth exercise to work on the mental side of cycling. It especially helps on long climbs
Old 01-28-08, 01:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yes, I agree that trainers are useful and effective and are especially wonderful when compared to doing no riding at all.

But they still suck.
Old 01-28-08, 01:10 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I once read a book on the psychological aspects of various sports. Cyclists tend to be sensory junkies. Cyclists love hyperstimulation. That is why cyclists think the more instruments the better. Cyclists like bike computers, they like GPS, and they like heart rate monitors. They also like scenery, bends in the road and other stimuli. Cross country skiing is similar that way to cycling and I loved doing it in the winter in lieu of my beloved cycling.

Trainers on the other hand are not exactly condusive to a stimulation rich environment.
Old 01-28-08, 01:15 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
I once read a book on the psychological aspects of various sports. Cyclists tend to be sensory junkies. Cyclists love hyperstimulation. That is why cyclists think the more instruments the better. Cyclists like bike computers, they like GPS, and they like heart rate monitors. They also like scenery, bends in the road and other stimuli. Cross country skiing is similar that way to cycling and I loved doing it in the winter in lieu of my beloved cycling.

Trainers on the other hand are not exactly condusive to a stimulation rich environment.
Old 01-28-08, 01:44 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Pat

I will keep my contrarian view going...I disagree. One can train and stimulate the mind to experience what is correct cycling technique which may or may not require any instrumentation. If properly done, this takes a lot of concentration and is not really possible on the road with the numerous distractions of cars, intersections, pedestrians, other cyclists, wind, rough roads and etc.

I am trying to think of an Olympic event that does provide a lot of stimulation to athletes - Power lifting?
Old 01-28-08, 02:41 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I am trying to think of an Olympic event that does provide a lot of stimulation to athletes - Power lifting?
Ummmm... I don't think so.
  1. Walk over to heavy thing.
  2. Bend over, try not to fart.
  3. Pick up heavy thing.
  4. Grunt.
  5. Drop heavy thing someplace other than on own foot.
  6. Retreat.
  7. Eat more steroids.

Ooooo. That's stimulating!

Wait! Number seven! I found the connection!
Old 01-28-08, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
All simulators/trainers are harder than the real thing. This applies particularly to flight simulators.

Besides, bike trainers neither take you to the store nor provide the pleasure of rapid motion. They are all investment, no reward. Why shouldn't the same mission profile seem harder?

Paul
Old 01-28-08, 03:13 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I will keep my contrarian view going...I disagree. One can train and stimulate the mind to experience what is correct cycling technique which may or may not require any instrumentation. If properly done, this takes a lot of concentration and is not really possible on the road with the numerous distractions of cars, intersections, pedestrians, other cyclists, wind, rough roads and etc.

Well road cyclists are facing far more stimulation that even most Olympic competitor... who are doing their bit on closed tracks with well known conditions. Compare that to riding a bike in dense traffic in the inner city.
Old 01-28-08, 04:25 PM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Women's gymnastics! Womens' figure skating! Oh, to the athletes themselves?

-soma5
Old 01-29-08, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Set up the bike on the trainer this morning. Its a computrainer so when I hook it up to the computer I can run simulated real courses. One of the included courses is Central Park, which is one of my regular rides. Well on the trainer the hills seemed harder, and my going on the flats and downhills were a bit slower and seemed like more than my usual workout. But with colder weather coming the trainer might be it for me for a couple of months.
same for me when running on the treadmill v. outdoors, not sure why but it seems more difficult. I chalk it up to not being able to "push it" at will, or to take a quick rest by slowing down to get my breathing in order. On the other hand there is no head wind so theoretically it should seem easier not harder.
Old 01-29-08, 09:31 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulH
All simulators/trainers are harder than the real thing. This applies particularly to flight simulators.
I've flown many, many times, but the only time I ever came close to losing my lunch was in a flight simulator.
Old 02-03-08, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Well looks like 4 hours on the trainer paid off. After getting slowed down a bit by a collision with a jogger who moved out in front of me I took off on some hills in the park and they seemed easier than they had the last time I had ridden them. My LBS had also given me some suggestions on how to use it which will help me more in the future.